work clothing under leathers?

Hi

I'm about to get my first bike and gear to go with it. So im in need of a top tip...

I'll be using my bike for a 15-20min commute mon-fri, however i have to wear a suit everyday for work and im wondering whether its feasible to imagine that i can wear my suit under a full set of leathers espcially for those wet days given the wonderful UK weather. i can probably get away without the suit jacket but that still leaves me with the trousers to consider?

What would be the best way to approach this? Preferably id like to get leather protective clothing. however im open to textile if its simply not gonna work with a leather solution.

thanks

Hi and welcome to TMBF! :)

Personally speaking if you're only going to buy one set of bike clothing I'd by textiles - they're probably more versatile. A waterproof rain suit would come in handy too! :lol:

I don't commute on my bike but many do. A lot of people prefer to leave some clothes at work to change into. I would imagine if you wore trousers under your bke clothing they'd look like you've slept in them by the time you get to work! :lol:

You'd probably be better off with decent quality textile suit (i.e. Cordura not polyester with Goretex/Dryway and kevlar inserts/armour) for commuting, as it will be more or less 'weatherproof'. You would certainly have no problem wearing your shirt underneath the jacket, I always do, but expect it to get a bit crumpled. You would want to change the trousers. I would suggest if your trousers are loose enough that you can fit another pair of trousers underneath, then they do not fit you correctly and the armour will not be protecting the appropriate areas correctly. Loose clothing means that in the event of a spill, the armour moves about and the clothing can ride up. I can pretty much only fit leggings under my textile or leather trousers. You will also need to carry a change of shoes.

Ok, So it seems change at work is going to be the wisest option.

@Bodica thanks for fitting advice ill keep that in mind and ill check out some of the bits u suggested

@Susieque, i have budget for one set to start with, but ill be sure to expand... afterall i do want me a set of leathers!

Anyhow cheers guys for the rapid response, question answered.

I also work mon-fri in smart shirt&trousers and my commute takes bout 20mins.

I wear my clothes under textiles (gortex) in bad weather so they stay dry and under a leather jacket and mesh type material summer trousers on sunny days.

i have brought my clothes 1 size to big, 54 when im a 52, so i can comfortably fit clothes under bike gear.

i think changing at work will make ur 15 minute jurney turn into a 25min jurney, and who wouldnt rather stay in bed 10mins?!

Pair of trousers/jeans taken to work on monday and left there ready to change into. Clean shirt every day taken in my rucksack. You`d melt with a suit and leathers on in this weather (hot).

I never wear my work cloths under my bike gear except my shirt. I usually get changed at work. rather embarressing once one of the girls I work with found me stood by my locker changing out of my bike gear wearing my "Chrismas Pudding pants" was the cause of much laughter :oops: :shock:

I Comute on my bike every day and wear textiles too, my bike trousers are shite and over a year just let the water through but im gunna buy another set of decent trousers that are waterproof. ... see my thread below.

I wear shirt and trousers for work and just put my bike stuff over the top. I used to get changed at work but its too much hasstle.

i commute every day to work.

i keep my work trousers in my rucksack, but do wear my shirt under my leather jacket. I keep my work shoes at work as well to save carrying them around.

i keep a set of waterproofs in my bag as well.

If the weather looks really rubbish though, i then use a two piece textile suit as it's just much more convenient. If you can only afford the one set then go with textiles. Also much easier to wear your work trousers underneath your textile trousers.

as others have said, i would advise against wearing your suit under leathers, you would bake!

Changing at work is the only way to do it, I used to commute all the time, work clothes in the top box then get changed at work.

Its well worth investing in a decent set of gore-tex waterproofs as they will certainly last longer than a year even with everyday use.

i commute to the train station and then train to london.

I just leave my suit and smart shoes at work, just wear your work shirt. no need to compromise on your safety and comfort either on the bike or at work then.

I use a backpack everyday for work but on a Monday I neatly fold my suit and put it in a tank bag with nothing else in the tank bag and still use my backpack for everything else. I then leave my suit in work until Friday when I use the tank bag to bring it back.

I fold my shirt everyday and put it in my backpack behind my laptop so it sits nicely between my back and laptop and therefore doesnt crease.

I have a pair of shoes I leave at work.

I wouldnt consider wearing any of my work clothes to work because if you get a day anywhere near as hot as Monday by the time you get there you will look like you have just jumped into a swimming pool fully clothed.

I bought a shirt carrier which slips into my rucksack and keeps everything totally flat. Can't recommend it highly enough.

A bit pricey but if you're using it every day, it's worth the money, imo.

http://www.jamesandlongbourne.co.uk/stiffshirtselected.php?tmpordernum=57jw7slxdqhrox1y6e6e&collarid=60