Roadcraft. Bible or Comic?

Bogof

<t>Roadcraft...</t>  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Roadcraft...

• Love it
    • Hate it
    • Roadcraft???

Roadcraft does seem to be a marmite read...

Personally I love it. I learnt a hell of a lot by reading both the car version (full licence 35 yrs) and the bike (full licence 2 yrs) versions and then applying what the book said out in the real world.

The biggest impact by far though was the realisation that, as Roadcraft says, a motorcycle collision occurs when the system of motorcycle control breaks down. The underlying message is that EVERY collision between two vehicles could have been avoided if either party had taken different steps leading up to the collision.

Now that's a bit utopian of course, but what it made me do was to further analyse my riding to the extent that every near miss, every "moment" on the road, every bend that runs a little wide, gets played over again in my head and I come up with a plan to avoid a repetition. And so far it's worked :lol:

I did a 4 week long intensive driving course using road craft, best training course I've ever done. Will hopefully be doing it on a bike within the next few years. Its a shame that every driver and rider aren't trained to the same standard, I think there would be a lot less accidents.

I'm reading it at the mo, mostly common sense yes but a lot of things have sunk in that I didn't necessarily think of. I think it's very good :D

I believe a copy of this book should be handed to every person who has just passed their CBT, especially teenagers.

I love the whole attitude of "oh im only riding a scooter / 125, i dont need all that protective gear, it wont hurt if i fall off" haha.

It seems if you follow the advice you will be much safer on the roads, it focuses a lot on having the right attitude.

I dont think you will like it techno.

I've read the book and found that I was naturally applying most of the techniques as they're common sense however there are some very good points in there and I'd advise anyone to read it.

The biggest thing to remember is that you never stop learning and can always improve.

Mine was a three week intensive course, but that was 20 years ago. I do still apply as much as I can and can still do a mean commentary. As soon as I pass my test I want to do a refresher on the bike.

A lot of it is common sense....but there's a lot of drivers on the road that posess zero common sense.

A lot of what we know about riding and driving has come from experience....unfortunately some don't live long enough to acquire that knowledge.....so this book is invaluable to all riders and drivers and especially the newer ones.

I believe a copy of this book should be handed to every person who has just passed their CBT, especially teenagers.

I love the whole attitude of "oh im only riding a scooter / 125, i dont need all that protective gear, it wont hurt if i fall off" haha.

It seems if you follow the advice you will be much safer on the roads, it focuses a lot on having the right attitude.

I dont think you will like it techno.

Thanks am sure your right.

I havent done too bad over the last 24 years without it :)

I have a copy, most of it is common sense and logic.

I've ridden motorbikes on the road for the last 5 years, holding a full license for most of that as they've always been my primary way of getting around. I have a car license and had it for 3 years. What I've learned from driving both is very valuable and the book just reinforces things for me.

When I read it saying every collision can be avoided, obviously this is only true if BOTH sides take the same view point. As said, utopian. Motorbikes are often subject to the other sides negligence. It obviously doesnt teach you in depth everything but it gives you the know how to riding safely.

Mine was a three week intensive course, but that was 20 years ago. I do still apply as much as I can and can still do a mean commentary. As soon as I pass my test I want to do a refresher on the bike.

The 4th week was initial pursuit! commentary, using the system and trying to keep up with the bandit vehicle all in one hit !

Roadcraft is superb, but IMO very difficult to practice, without practical testing.

I think that you should use Roadcraft in every day driving/riding, and most people do, but i think its hard to action, without actually driving under Roadcraft, and to the system, to put it into practice, and for it to become natural

Having passed my test in '76, without any training, I got the chance to do a bikesafe course, last year. Roadcraft is pretty much the bible and I was given a copy. I agree with QB on the way it is written but the content is good for newbies and old farts alike.