restricted licences for cars

mealexme

<t>should there be a restricted licence for cars?</t>  

39 members have voted

1. 1. should there be a restricted licence for cars?

• yes
    • no

So, most people seem to think a restricted licence is a good thing for bikes, and the argument has arisen that the same should happen for car drivers. This is why... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ercar.html

What do you think, should there be a restricted licence for cars?

I would imagine if you learnt to drive in one of those you could drive anything! :lol:

However I should also imagine that if they passed their test, driving anything else would seem like a real comedown. Would it lead to that person thrashing the t*ts off a Corsa in a vain attempt to recreate the Ferrari experience?!

In answer to your question, I think the car that you learn in should be in a maximum cc band & yes, maybe limit the new driver to a certain cc for a couple of years.

Won't stop some people driving like nutters though, whatever the cc! :roll:

In answer to your question, I think the car that you learn in should be in a maximum cc band

But that would mean people would learn to drive in huge cc jeeps and such (or small vans), then jump in a smaller cc sports car (assuming they wanted to do this). Also would penalise people who could only afford a 1.2 or whatever when they are young and doing their test as they would have to re-do their test when they could afford a slightly bigger car. Good idea, I hadnt thought of something like that before, but would need to be implimented slightly differently

In answer to your question, I think the car that you learn in should be in a maximum cc band

But that would mean people would learn to drive in huge cc jeeps and such (or small vans), then jump in a smaller cc sports car (assuming they wanted to do this). Also would penalise people who could only afford a 1.2 or whatever when they are young and doing their test as they would have to re-do their test when they could afford a slightly bigger car. Good idea, I hadnt thought of something like that before, but would need to be implimented slightly differently

What I was suggesting is that maybe a maximum of 1400cc to learn in & not be allowed to drive anything with a bigger engine for 2 years - no need to take another test. Just like with bikes, after the 2 years is up they can drive whatever they like.

What I was suggesting is that maybe a maximum of 1400cc to learn in & not be allowed to drive anything with a bigger engine for 2 years - no need to take another test. Just like with bikes, after the 2 years is up they can drive whatever they like.

Make it a 1.0l maximum to make them suffer, payback for this 33bhp crap that I've had to put up with :lol:

I would imagine if you learnt to drive in one of those you could drive anything! :lol:

However I should also imagine that if they passed their test, driving anything else would seem like a real comedown. Would it lead to that person thrashing the t*ts off a Corsa in a vain attempt to recreate the Ferrari experience?!

In answer to your question, I think the car that you learn in should be in a maximum cc band & yes, maybe limit the new driver to a certain cc for a couple of years.

Won't stop some people driving like nutters though, whatever the cc! :roll:

:stupid:

just as well they dont have it as my car as a 2.0 turbo in it, and sometimes my foot slips and of i go like a rocket :lol: :lol:

In effect that's what they already have......it's called insurance premiums!!!!

As I said in another thread...my eldest son is 20....he has a 15 year old non turbo diesel Citroen ZX....it's the slowest car in the world.....£1500 TPFT!! He has mates with 1.4 Fiesta's etc that are paying over £2000 TPFT.....£40 a week for insurance!! Then add fuel costs and other running costs........

1300cc is plenty for the first two years IMHO

There are enough cars around to enable a wide choice, turbo diesels, N/A petrol and even smaller capacticty petrol turbos. None of which are going to set the world alight (excluding kit cars with bike engines etc) but give owners the oportunity to find a car that's suitable.

1400cc opens up big increase in bhp with the recent widespread introduction of turbocharging smaller capacity motors. Think Fiat for example, 165bhp from the punto Abarth 1.4 or 180 bhp with the Polo Gti (although it is £19k!!).

Guest Spire

I doubt its genuine. I could not insure my BMW 330 convertible for me daughter to learn to drive in. No way is any insurance company going to insure any learner to drive a Ferrari.

With regards the question 99% of the population is limited by what they can afford to insure. However it would seem sensible to restrict car licences in the same manner as bikes to stop the 1% getting behind the wheel that is way beyond their experience to be let loose with.

well i think they are very rich Arabs, an i have no idea what the insurance is like in the country they live in, but at a guess they have different insurance over there and more rich kids too lol

well i think they are very rich Arabs, an i have no idea what the insurance is like in the country they live in, but at a guess they have different insurance over there and more rich kids too lol

It's also possible that they provide evidence of personal indemnity, and thus won't need an insurance policy for the car

Mate had a turbo renault 5 1.4l. Wouldn't give that to a learner. Would need to be done by bhp.

It's also possible that they provide evidence of personal indemnity, and thus won't need an insurance policy for the car

The mod self insure. Wonder what total worth you need to get out of paying insurance.

The mod self insure. Wonder what total worth you need to get out of paying insurance.

Relatively little. Our insurance doesn't cover us for an awful lot of money and even if the cover was unlimited, the payouts will be minimal unless there is a massive pileup. Even then there's more than one insurance policy in play. I think our premiums can probably be explained by greed. The insurance companies are making massive profits off us first time drivers.

I learnt in a 1.4 Focus (The AA's) car, and 1 or 2 lessons in a 2.0 litre Turbo Audi TT. The day I passed my test I got straight in it and was fine. It has scared me on occasions though I must admit. :lol:

I've heard two figures, not sure which is correct:

£15K and £150K. Amount in full held by a government body or something. And this makes you personally liable for claims.

Relatively little. Our insurance doesn't cover us for an awful lot of money and even if the cover was unlimited, the payouts will be minimal unless there is a massive pileup. Even then there's more than one insurance policy in play. I think our premiums can probably be explained by greed. The insurance companies are making massive profits off us first time drivers.

Relatively little used to be £250k.

Insurance is a risk based business, it is simply not true that massive profits are coming from first time drivers, unless you actually mean that massive profits are being made across the whole risk portfolio. Look at the accident stats and maybe you'll understand why your premiums (rightly) get loaded.

I can understand why first time drivers premiums are loaded but why should mine be just cos I havent held a policy in my name, I havent had a break from driving but I am treated like a new driver.

Once you have a driving history premiums should be based on that history.

There has to be some sense in what new drivers are charged, you pass a test but then cant gain any experiance because you cant afford to insure a vehicle, that makes no sense at all.

I would hate to see restricted licenses on cars, if this was the case my friends son wouldnt be able to drive at all at the moment.

If young people aren't grown up enough to hold a full licence for 2 years then they also shouldn't be allowed to join the armed forces and see combat. And then they shouldn't be required to pay taxes (seems odd 16 year olds are old enough to pay taxes but not old enough to drink :roll: ).