1. 1. Are you a fair weather biker?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but I only have bike as transport

I'm a fair weather rides and proud :-D

I have a car for crap weather the bike is for fun and It's not fun in the rain

:stupid:

+1 until im more experienced

Some people would say I'm a fair weather rider.

However I have been out in in all weathers. I don't like riding in crap weather and won't start out for a rideout if the weather is bad.

Typically I won't ride in driving horizontal sleet, in that case I'll either drive or take the train. When I go into Portsmouth in winter in driving horizontal sleet, the train is about twice as fast as the car in the rush hour.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit to being a fair weather bike these days although getting caught in the rain occasionally or being cold isn't going to put me off - Bonnie takes a lot of shining you know. lol

Used to ride in all weathers years ago when a bike was my only transport and one of my few offs was in snow on a CB100N in the late 80s. Heaving it upright, dressed in an orange babygrow while car drivers honked their horns impatiently was NOT fun

Guest Spire

I ride all year but avoid heavy rain, ice and snow if I can.

The worst weather I rode in was whilst touring Spain. I only had leathers with me so when it started to chuck it down stopped and sheltered in a doorway. It was lashing it down plus was thunder and lightning. After a while it was clear it wasn't going to blow over. So had to continue in the rain. Was heading for Santander to catch the ferry the next morning. On the way into Santander past a house that was alight having been hit by the lightning. Then got to a point in the centre where the roads were flooded due to the rain. I tried to work my way around side streets to get past it but in the end gave up and had to ride through it. About 18 inches deep. Then it started hailing. Not just regular small hailstones. These things were the size of walnuts. And fecking hurt like hell.

Eventually got to the hotel and stripped off. Everything I had on was completely soaked including everything in my wallet and my passport. But its another chapter in the rich tapestry of biking life.

I was out today in torrential rain and loved it.

My boots leaked for the first time it was that bad, but I stayed warm. My old Berghaus jacket reproofed with nickwax and worn over my biker jacket kept me dry. I was filtering on the motorway at one point and cars were getting out of my way. I had my helmet open a tiny bit and it kept my view clear.

There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

I felt the back of the bike slid out a bit twice, but any junction, corner or round a bout was at slower than usual speeds.

There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad riding.

I intend on buying a non-faired bandit or hornet for winter so I have winter transport to ride the ice...

But what am I? I dont like riding in the rain though if I need to go somewhere I simply get on with it. The bike is my only transport.

I dont particularly like riding in the rain but I have to if i want to get anywhere, does that mean i am a fair weather rider or not? As if im caught out i just change styles and keep going, i dont like to walk in the rain and i still enjoy the fact im on a bike so im confused :lol:

I ride in any weather really. In fact to be honest, i would prefer it if the rain was torrential rather than just your average rain, due to the fact that you then have a story to tell, a sense of achievment, and it is funny seeing car drivers expressions.

My only bad experiance with extreme weather was that time not so long ago when it rained and froze on the ground instantly. Cars were going down the road outside my house sideways and walking was difficult let alone driving. People abandoning their cars etc. I literally walked outside the front door, fell on my ass, got up, saw a car going down the hill in front of me sideways, walked into the village, fell over numerous time, saw another car go into a fence, walked/slid past a load of abandoned white vans. At this point I decided not to ride, but that was the only time I have wimped out. Luckily, turned out noone could get to work in their cars let alone bikes so employer was not too angry lol.

Replacing broken fairing and other components on a spill would cost more than a winter run-around. :roll:

I am surprised just how many people just seem to love riding in the rain, cold, ice and whatever else that man normally avoids. :roll:

I was out and about again today. I found plastic bags inside my boots worked really well.

Two old bread bags or carrier bags over your boots will make putting on overtrousers easy.

You can choose to keep the bags on if you want to look as cool as me. 8-)

I was out and about again today. I found plastic bags inside my boots worked really well.

Two old bread bags or carrier bags over your boots will make putting on overtrousers easy.

You can choose to keep the bags on if you want to look as cool as me. 8-)

I decided that bags over the boots would risk being caught up in the pegs/controls and would likely rip. So I put them inside to keep my socks warm and dry.