Battery / Reg/rec probs

Danny-B-

Battery is probs a year old ish and the bike is used monday to friday for work ...

I've never had a problem with the battery since last year when i replaced the battery.

Rode the bike into work today, never noticed a problem.

Went to start the bike at lunch and it seemed a little sluggish to start but got going ... Went to tescos at the top of town (abt 1 mile away) and after getting a few things from tescos the batery was flat !!

Got a mate to come jump start me and got back to work where i had a multi meter, so i left the bike idling while i ran up to get it ...

Tested the voltage on the battery (running at idle) and it was 14v ... (a little high ???)

Revving the engine brought it down to 12.5 - 13.5 ish .. then idling again would make it sit at 12.5 Ish ...

After about 1.5 mins the voltage would rise to 14v again ... a quick blip would make it settle to 12.5 - 13 again

Now all this has just happend so im hoping it will start at the end of the day .. but ill post here

Main question for now is ... is 14v normal ? it seemed a tad high to me.

Reg/Rec was getting a little hot ... to hot to keep my hand on, but im not sure if thats ok or not??

Reg/rects do get hot (that's what kills them over time).

Not sure what to make of your idle giving 2 different voltage readings.

Can you try revving and holding it at 5.5-6K RPM and how much of an increase in voltage do you get from idle at that RPM?

Got any accessories connected?

14V is about what i'd expect when revving, especially given that multimeters have a degree of inaccuracy.

When mine broke it did pretty much what you describe Danny.

What i did to check it was to check with a multi meter the following (I can't remember the readings there is a thread somewhere on here)

Do the following with all electrics turned off.

1, Check battery with engine off

2, Check battery with engine running

3, Go for a blast to get the reg hot and AS SOON AS YOU GET BACK check the battery with the engine still running.

When i got back with the reg hot the reading was really low. Not providing enough power to run the electrics and charge the battery.

• 2 weeks later...

for those who arent familiar with bike electrics..

the running engine generates a voltage which is fed to the reg rec where it is smoothed (rectified) and regulated to a maximum voltage (about 14v). this is then fed to both the battery to charge it and to the rest of the bikes electrical circuits. all the battery does is start the bike or power the electrical circuits if the engine is not running.

volt meters have inaccuracies of less than 5% ( for a real cheap one). as this is only about 0.6v max at these voltages so i wouldnt worry about it.

if a bike has fuel injection then this will account for the voltage dropping a tad when you rev it, the injectors and fuel pump are under load when revving. when it idles this load will drop and the voltage across the battery/meter will rise.

from my experience when a reg rec fails your bike wont charge your battery and this'll lead to spluttering as the voltage drops and the ecu/injectors/pump all fight for the available voltage. the spluttering is most evident under acceleration for the reasons mentioned in above para. it will get worse as days go by as the battery gets drained. charging the battery will mask the problem for a day or two until its voltage drops again.

start the bike, let it idle. put your meter across the battery terminals and if all is ok you should see 12-14v.

if you see less then 10-11 v then your reg rec is not supplying adequate voltage and will require further investigating.

if you have the correct voltage and your battery still dies after a few days then i would suggest your battery is dying. they all die eventually. it only takes one dead cell to ruin its charging ability.

if in doubt, take it to a garage, they prob wont charge you to check it as it takes 5 mins and they will expect to make their money from flogging you a battery or reg rec.

hope this is of help.

His bike isn't fuel injected, its carbed so not a lot under load!

Id just get s rec/reg off ebay, swap it over and see if it does the trick. Cleaning connections as i went around the bike so it operated correctly.

from my experience when a reg rec fails your bike wont charge your battery and this'll lead to spluttering as the voltage drops and the ecu/injectors/pump all fight for the available voltage. the spluttering is most evident under acceleration for the reasons mentioned in above para. it will get worse as days go by as the battery gets drained. charging the battery will mask the problem for a day or two until its voltage drops again.

when the reg rec feck up on my bike it over charge the battery fecking the battery up it also burn out my fuel pump, a other sign off reg rec as gone feck is when you keep blowing bulbs, lights go brighter when you rev the engine

Well i havnt had a look at the bike since i posted this as ive been off caravanning :)

Back to work on monday so i'll report back with any probs...

I'm hoping that it was just that the positive terminal was slightly loose when i checked.

I did start it up last weekend just to see if the battery was ok, and it started no probs at all

Cheers for the advice etc lads :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Been running the bike back and forward to work since i charged the battery (last time i posted mebe ?) and i've been running without the lights switched on .... Untill last night !

I switched them on for the journey home as it was pissing it down and pretty gloomy. By the time i got a mile from home i stopped in traffic and the engine cut at low revs !! i quickly bumped it to get the engine running (was still rolling lol) quickly switched the lights off and got home.

Must be the Reg/Rec as the battery has enough juice to start it up, indicate etc for days but the lights just killed it !

Fun and games !