is it time for new front discs?

Takanta

ello folks,

just wondering what yer opinions are on my front brake discs, I havnt ridden my bike for about a month. ill admit the last time i used it was out in the pissing rain wind, the lot. for work and I jsut put it back in the shed to sit for a month :(.

anyway took it out today and i noticed my discs to be in a bit of a mess , heres pics.

not really sure what to do , do i need to replace them or? looks like rust mainly around the holes and where the brake pads where sitting against them for a month.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/jaffa15/14092011020.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/jaffa15/14092011019.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/jaffa15/14092011018.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/jaffa15/14092011017.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/jaffa15/14092011016.jpg

any help would appreciated :)

Usually they will have a minimal thickness, often referred to as a 'service limit' in workshop manuals. ideally you'd measure this with a vernier caliper.

They don't look that bad, just surface rust that'll soon wear off with a bit of use. As long as they don't have really deep scores in them, warped or gone oval they should be fine (as long as they are thick enough of course!).

Make sure the calipers aren't seized though!.

Your disks look a bit scored/worn.....so as above, check the thickness of the disks. If the disks are warped they will bind in one place if you spin the wheel. The surface rust is nothing to worry about.....as CtB says first time you use the brakes it'll disappear.

using them over and over should get rid of most of the rust. If you are worried about them then give them a clean (NOT with anything that has even a hint of grease.. I learned this the hard way once when using WD40 near one of my brakes... it scared the fook outa me the fist time i tried to use them!)

they dont look warped or anything, but if they were you would feel a difference in the bike especially under acceleration and braking if its severe enough (brake lever will not be smooth. Not a great description, but you will know what i mean if you ever encounter it)

thanks for the reply folks, used bike today for work and while braking using the front it feels the same , as when i first got the bike and when all that crap wasnt there.

not long home so cant check the condition of the discs to see if the surface rust is gone as its too dark,

gonna give bike a wash tomorrow if the weather allows me to.

2 weeks time is my MOT so I assume they check the discs anyway? and ill soon know if there fooked or not cus theyll fail it haha.

they dont look warped or anything, but if they were you would feel a difference in the bike especially under acceleration and braking if its severe enough (brake lever will not be smooth. Not a great description, but you will know what i mean if you ever encounter it)

I'm genuinely interested by your comments above, since my experience of warped discs is minimal. So how can you tell they don't look warped from the pictures that were posted, and how would you be able to feel a difference under acceleration? I can understand how it'd feel different under braking, but acceleration just confuses me.

I'm genuinely interested by your comments above, since my experience of warped discs is minimal. So how can you tell they don't look warped from the pictures that were posted, and how would you be able to feel a difference under acceleration? I can understand how it'd feel different under braking, but acceleration just confuses me.

The same thoughts were going through my head when reading that but I wasn't going to put it in writing :lol:

Back to the point. It is just a little light surface rust that has formed while the bike has sat and there has been water between pad and disc. Nothing to worry about. You say the MOT is due in a couple of weeks and you assume they will be checked - they will not check your brake disc thickness on an MOT. That is part of your servicing / maintenance regime for the bike. Don't be fooled in to thinking an MOT covers all safety type things. They have a set list of things to go through and that is all you will get, no more, no less, and not all things you would perhaps think would be on there are actually on there.

The same thoughts were going through my head when reading that but I wasn't going to put it in writing :lol:

Back to the point. It is just a little light surface rust that has formed while the bike has sat and there has been water between pad and disc. Nothing to worry about. You say the MOT is due in a couple of weeks and you assume they will be checked - they will not check your brake disc thickness on an MOT. That is part of your servicing / maintenance regime for the bike. Don't be fooled in to thinking an MOT covers all safety type things. They have a set list of things to go through and that is all you will get, no more, no less, and not all things you would perhaps think would be on there are actually on there.

why not? you could have put someone straight on what to look out for and educated them a little :?

Don't be fooled in to thinking an MOT covers all safety type things. They have a set list of things to go through and that is all you will get, no more, no less, and not all things you would perhaps think would be on there are actually on there.

this reminds me of a guy at work he had his car MOT done then a few weeks later his cam belt snapped and he was kicking off because the MOT place never checked it :roll: :roll:

why not? you could have put someone straight on what to look out for and educated them a little :?

It was more the way it was said, with the sarcasm, that I personally wouldnt have said 8-)

It was more the way it was said, with the sarcasm, that I personally wouldnt have said 8-)

There was nothing sarcastic in what I typed. Are you maybe confusing sarcasm and irony?

sorry for the late reply, I haven't looked on this thread for a while.

TBH I cant tell from the picture, they just dont look like they are in bad shape i s'pose. I had a warped disk on the front, and it was so warped that it was rubbing when it went round, so the acceleration wasnt smooth, something i really only noticed when accelerating (speeding up) or braking. I didnt really notice it when sticking at the same speed (not sure why that is though)

There was nothing sarcastic in what I typed. Are you maybe confusing sarcasm and irony?

Nope, definitely not confused. Give me a brake will you :lol:

Erm, sure...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23967154/imagesCAKJ2489.jpg

Strange request, but whatever floats your boat... :lol:

sorry for the late reply, I haven't looked on this thread for a while.

TBH I cant tell from the picture, they just dont look like they are in bad shape i s'pose. I had a warped disk on the front, and it was so warped that it was rubbing when it went round, so the acceleration wasnt smooth, something i really only noticed when accelerating (speeding up) or braking. I didnt really notice it when sticking at the same speed (not sure why that is though)

Thanks for the reply, but really you didn't need to, since I was apparently only being sarcastic. :D

If it affected acceleration that wasn't warped, it was BENT! :shock:

I suspect mine are warped on my Firestorm as the front brake pulses when applied hard. I'll carry on riding slowly for a while I think, new disks sound expensive :P