Should people who pass DAS have some kind of restriction

Boothy

<t>Should people who pass DAS have some kind of restriction for there first year?</t>  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should people who pass DAS have some kind of restriction for there first year?

• Yes
    • No

this debate baffles me.. :roll:

riding bikes is inherently dangerous.

and no restrictions will ever make it safe!

a 600 sportsbike that does 160mph? or a 1000rr that will do 180 ish?

there aint no difference when the rider gets it wrong.

if anyone wants to self impose a restriction on themselves then that is up to them. and good on them i say.

but to suggest more restrictions on a free thinking part of society who are already treated as imbeciles by those in government/eu is ridiculous.

if, after proving your ability by passing the strictest driving test(s) in the county you dont want a fast bike, (which they all are) then dont bloody ride one.

soapbox.. dismounted.

Excellent post.

but to suggest more restrictions on a free thinking part of society who are already treated as imbeciles by those in government/eu is ridiculous.

Treated as imbiciles, or behaving like imbeciles? I think that the government has decided to step in with regualtions to stop us from behaving like imbeciles. You are going after the wrong target.

this debate baffles me.. :roll:

riding bikes is inherently dangerous.

and no restrictions will ever make it safe!

a 600 sportsbike that does 160mph? or a 1000rr that will do 180 ish?

there aint no difference when the rider gets it wrong.

if anyone wants to self impose a restriction on themselves then that is up to them. and good on them i say.

if, after proving your ability by passing the strictest driving test(s) in the county you dont want a fast bike, (which they all are) then dont bloody ride one.

soapbox.. dismounted.

Excellent post.

:stupid:

how about take your DAS, then restrict to a push bike until you build up enough road sense :bike:

Let's face it no-one here thinks we should allow 17 year olds to drive formula 1 cars on public roads. Most people would also probably think no-one should be driving them on public roads. They are illegal for a good reason. So why do some people think that 19 year old who has ridden for 2 years on 125's or a 21 year old who has ridden a motorbike for just 5 days should be able to buy and ride the formula 1 equivalent in the motorcycle world?

You can register any vehicle for the road providing it meets the Construction and Use regs. :D

The motorcycle equivalent would be a MotoGP bike really.

If you've passed the test then that's it, you've passed. If you want a Hayabusa get one, if you'd feel happier on GS500 get that instead.

Well I plan on using L plates after my DAS for a few months.

You might want to check the legalities of displaying L Plates when you have a full licence, I'm pretty sure its an offence to display them if you hold a full licence for the vehicle that you are driving/riding. The exception to this rule being driving instructors. I think this is where the displaying of P plates for new drivers came from (not sure if this is an option on a bike).

It's not an offence. The Regulations say "should" and not "must". The only time you "must" is when you take the car on a motorway (and even then most instructors don't bother removing or covering them)

Plates should be removed or covered when not being driven by a learner (except on driving school vehicles).

Law MV(DL)R reg 16 & sched 4

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/2824/schedule/4/made

And P plates are not recognised here yet.

At the moment, P-plates are not compulsory, so if you do not feel the need to use them, you are not obliged to. However, recent plans mooted in Brussels suggest that at some point in the future it could well become compulsory to display P-plates.

http://www.driving-schools-uk.com/p_plates.php

Treated as imbiciles, or behaving like imbeciles? I think that the government has decided to step in with regualtions to stop us from behaving like imbeciles. You are going after the wrong target.

Best post in the thread so far

(apart from mine, obviously)

No yours is better bogof :cheers:

This is a very level headed and responsible forum. Other biker forums are full of imbeciles who have given us good guys a bad name and caused many of the rules and regs we have to put up with.

i think you must have misunderstood me.

i am not going after anyone from the forum.

in my previous post i mentioned the bad old days of passing a test and riding big bikes at 17. prior to that, it was even worse. you could ride a RD 250 LC on L plates ffs.

the current system is more than enough to ensure we have the ability to ride any bike. to suggest more restrictive measures are needed is nuts. it wouldnt change a thing.

oh, and the governments/eu that continually prove that they are not familiar with the "arse v elbow differential equation".

do you honestly think they step in to save the simpleton biker from himself? or simply carry out knee jerk reactions to the "concerns" of the un educated voters who neither care for nor understand bikes, but for some reason think something should be done about them?

For me the issue is getting your hands on high powered bikes too quickly. I had 2 hours of lessons on a GS500 and then another 5 hours on a XJ6n before passing. Outwith that I did hundreds of hours on my 11hp YBR pottering about on L plates.

As has been pointed out before, a 600cc bike with about 75hp is pretty close in the real world to a 160hp superbike. It seems to me that the problem is going from 11hp to anything you want. The 33hp restriction seems like a good compromise and when you get to more powerful less of a difference.

I would like to see learners allowed up to 33hp on L plates.

the current system is more than enough to ensure we have the ability to ride any bike. to suggest more restrictive measures are needed is nuts. it wouldnt change a thing.

I disagree. The current system leads to 10% of riders ending up dead or seriously injured in their first year of being a full licence holder. That is NOT acceptable in my view, and if restriction is seen by those better qualified than I in matters of road safety as being a positive step in reducing that 10% figure then so be it.

And funnily enough, I am one of the 10%. I passed DAS and bought a VTR1000 11 weeks later. It bit me due to my inexperience and broke my arm. I was lucky in that my serious injury wasn't more serious. Many others don't share my level of luck.

Thats fair enough bogof, but just how may of those 10 percent actually passed das and bought more than a 600 as we seem to think a 600 is fine as a first big bike, i would hazard they would be in a minority, insurance cost is a good restriction for most.

Also how many of the 10 percent were single vehicle accidents?

10% of new bikers crash? thats high.

i wonder what percentage of folks who pass their car test also crash within the first year?

injury stats will be different tho, due to airbags etc.

i say we should go with the self imposed restrictions.

that way, gs500 riders wont buy firestorms etc ;)

10% of new bikers crash? thats high.

i wonder what percentage of folks who pass their car test also crash within the first year?

injury stats will be different tho, due to airbags etc.

Way more than 10% crash. The 10% figure are KSI stats.

Car drivers around 20% crashing in their first year of driving. http://www.jaama.co.uk/News56.aspx

I've had a change of heart, let people get what the F they want and let natural selection take place, along as they don't take anybody else out along there way.

Precisely. And as motorcycles logically stand a far reduced risk of damage to 3rd parties (evidence: TPO insurance premiums, if not plain common sense!) then they particularly should be left alone. Autonomy!

Thats fair enough bogof, but just how may of those 10 percent actually passed das and bought more than a 600 as we seem to think a 600 is fine as a first big bike, i would hazard they would be in a minority, insurance cost is a good restriction for most.

Also how many of the 10 percent were single vehicle accidents?

Google obviously doesnt have an answer!

Most significant fact is no one forces anyone onto anything!

Lets be honest most people arnt dumb enough to go buy a thou till there ready to!

If they do more fool them.

Lets be honest most people arnt dumb enough to go buy a thou till there ready to!

If they do more fool them.

:stupid:

what was it casey stoner said? something about ambition outstripping ability..

Don't direct all your opinions at me... 9 other people voted yes... Although I did start the thread I did it because I wanted to see what other people thought without going off topic.

Am Kind of amazed by that, am wondering how many were up in arms about the eu's recent proposed interfearance?

I have to say if some of us are willing to kick ourselves in the genitalia how much harder is MAG's job gonna be in the future?

Be careful what you wish for ;)

Re the European proposals, this "myth-buster" from the British Motorcyclists Federation: http://www.bmf.co.uk/pages/briefing_room.php?fullstory=1020

I voted no.

I find it difficult to reconcile this idea that all people who go and do their bike test are crazy, reckless individuals eager to hasten their journey to the grave, but realise there are some out there who don't quite appreciate what they're riding and the potential consequences of their actions. There's a certain amount of me that wants to let Darwin do his work.

You can't legislate for people's idiosyncracies.

I traded up from a 650 to a 1200 less than 18 months after passing. Before my CBT I had spent zero time on a motorbike but had been driving for 10 years. Still here.

I think the system as it stands makes sense and I speak as someone who is restricted to 33bhp until 2013. Also 15bhp is more than enough for learners: ybf125s will do 80mph - what more do you need away from the motorway?

A bike that you can ride on a dual carriageway at NSL without having to worry about a head on wind. I had one of these bikes and it was great most of the time but in a strong head on wind it would sometimes struggle to get past 50mph!

Anyway, I answered No to this question. I decided to stay aaround the 600's when I passed my DAS as I was a little scared of jumping up from 15bhp. I'm sure most others do the same as you can tell by the amount of posts that you get about first big bikes on here.

If there's someone though that thinks they have the skill and ability to get a bigger bike then why not? A GSF1250 produces about 125bhp and a new zx6r produces 107. Not much of a difference there really so why penalise someone that wants the GSF1250 and wants to go touring because they've just passed?

I voted no, I think it's enough that the A2 test is restricted, without further restriction imposed. Aren't there always going to be people who have more impatience than sense and that won't change! Some people suddenly become 'experts' because they have passed a test but as most of us know confidence and competence only comes with experience, it doesn't come overnight (even though some will achieve it way quicker than others ..).

An extreme analogy would be a horse rider who has only just mastered the basics of walk and trot on a steady cob, going out to buy an ex-racing Thoroughbred (and yes they do :roll: ). Although in that situation the vast majority won't cope with it! We should all be adult enough to know our limitations in any situation and if we make the decision to ignore them, well nobody is responsible for our actions except us!

'No'

What's the point of having DAS if you then place restrictions after passing? We have too much nannying going on these days - let people make their own choice over personal risk.