Poppy Appeal

cruz

For this I make no apologies.

Please remind people that now is the time to start wearing your poppy, wear it with pride, wear it to remember.

Over the last ninety years that the RBL has been around in only one year has there been no member of our armed forces killed.

More than ever does the RBL need your support, they are currently spending 72 million pounds a year, £200,000 a week supporting all service men from all walks of life

... ... ...

So please wear your poppy with pride remember those who have died and those who live on the streets who have fought for our country, and for those who are still fighting.

11/11/2011 remember

Lest We Forget

Also remember that NOT wearing a poppy doesn't mean that you:

Haven't donated

Don't care

Don't remember those who fought and died in WW1 & 2.

Too many times I have seen people taken to task for not buying or wearing one.

Also remember that NOT wearing a poppy doesn't mean that you:

Haven't donated

Don't care

Don't remember those who fought and died in WW1 & 2.

Too many times I have seen people taken to task for not buying or wearing one.

I quite agree.

May I make one small point.

The money raised by The Poppy Appeal is not just for those of the World Wars but for all Servicemen and Women and their dependants for life.

There has only been one year since the end of WW2 that no serviceman has been killed on duty.

The RBL spend £72 million a year helping in many ways, that may be as simple as getting a war widows front door repainted or helping a former serviceman get his disabled status back after it had been withdrawn because he had an artificial leg fitted to replace the one lost in Afghanstain when his vehicle was blown up.

Why are they selling poppies, mummy? Selling poppies in town today.

The poppies, child are flowers of love for the men who marched away.

But, why have they chosen a poppy, mummy? Why not a beautiful rose?

Because, my child, men fought and died in the fields where the poppies grow.

But why are the poppies so red, mummy? Why are the poppies so red?

... Red is the colour of blood, my child the blood our soldiers shed.

The heart of the poppy is black, mummy, why does it have to be black?

Black, my child, is the symbol of grief for the men who never came back.

But, why mummy, are you crying so? Your tears are giving you pain.

My tears are my fears for you my child for the world is forgetting again.......

Thanks Cruz.

But can you tell me what the difference is between the poppy appeal now and all the other charities such as Help For Heroes and such like ?

As I understood it the poppy appeal was only for WW1 & 2 vets.

If this is not the case, then it changes my whole thought process of the poppy appeal.

I'm not Cruz, but...

The British Legion helps and supports veterans of all conflicts and their families, not just the WW's.

Can't comment on Help for Heroes etc as I don't actively support them (RBL Rider)

Fundraising by the RBL takes place all year in all branches, the Poppy Appeal is just the best known of their activities. The RBL has nursing and convalescent homes, financial services, provides counselling, advice and support in all the ways you can think of and many more for all our veterans and their dependants/families.

They make grants for all kinds of things, from mobility scooters to welfare packages for those less well off. It organises and subsidises trips to battlefields for veterans. It has rehab centres and loads of other services. The Legion really does more than most people think :lol:

A big part of what the Legion does is keeping the memory alive of all those who served their country, in peace and in war, which I believe is extremely important. If another WW happened, we'd have a running start caring for those left behind and those returning because of the experience and dedication of the Legion and the memories and awareness it has fostered for the last 90 years.

Hope that helps :mrgreen:

And as for not wearing a poppy and being chastised for it - wearing one wether you donate/support or not is a personal choice and no-one else's business!

Rats,

As bigsister says The Legion will help all who have served for over 7 days and their dependance.

H4H a worthy charity as it is will only help those injured since 9/11, and as they were set up to raise funds for the building of a swimming pool they are somewhat limited as to what they can do.

The Legions Battleback centres are a joint venture, H4H provides the capital for the buildings and infrastructure and the Legion then funds the staffing and the future running costs.

Afghan Heros can only help those involved in Iraq/Afghan conflicts. Vets in need from NI, Bosnia, Gulf 1/2, Falklands, Korea, Seuz etc cannot be helped by them.

The Legion has been around for 90 years and will still be in another 90 helping those in need injured or needy some other way and from whatever era they served.

Glad to be able to let you know a bit about The Legion.

Royal British Legion Scotland is slightly different in that you must be resident in Scotland to be helped (its a historical thing) but the two are in the throes of joining together.

This is the first year that I haven't got a poppy. Instead I got one of those wristband things...I'm forever losing or breaking the poppy so I thought I'd try something else this year. The proceeds go to the same place so it works for me :)

I hadn't seen this article, but I did see the Kleshna brooches and various other RBL items on ebay last week.

I don't usually "snitch", but this I reported to the RBL - they where already aware and investigating.

A couple of traders at least on ebay ARE legit and are giving all profits to the Legion

And I reported it because it annoyed me :evil: opportunistic asshats shouldn't be making a profit from someones charitable action