have you ever dropped a bike?

tryme

<t>have you ever dropped a bike?</t>  

67 members have voted

1. 1. have you ever dropped a bike?

• yes
    • no

dropped my old hyosung GT125r twice. once when I was pushing it over stones/gravel and slipped. and other time it was that cold my bike wouldnt start, was pissing down and was 6am in the morning , started trying to bump it ended up slipping on ice and down it went , mirrors n everything came off lol.

and dropped my fazer lightly once, caught it just before it hit the ground with force. so it went down slowly , happened because i was taking a pillion , came to a stop and they just jumped off without telling me. So i lost balance :(

Only the one drop so far.

Coming out of a petrol station in the morning rush hour I went for a gap and span the back wheel. Unfortunately the bike stalled, rolled out into the road and toppled over. I felt like an absolute tool and worst of all nobody stopped to help, just indicated and drove round me as I tried to extract myself and then get the bike up.

No real damage fortunately, just a scuffed up crash bung and a small scuff on the mirror. My pride took a hammering though. :oops:

Outside the house about to go out with 2 mates, all ready to go, then realised i didnt have my wallet so ran back in the house got my wallet ran back outside JUMPED onto the bike and the momentum carried on, over we went me and the bike outside the house in front of mates, neighbours, wife & kids. :oops:

You will notice how careful i am, now when i get on and off a bike

Dropped the schools bike on the lesson before my test- doing the u-turn :oops:

Had the Bonneville for 4 weeks and forgot to put it gear when I pulled away from a junction :oops:

Didn't notice I was on a raised bit of tarmac at a junction on the Rocket- my foot didn't quite reach the floor :oops:

1/ about my second lesson, still on the 125, had just put some petrol on and was moving off when my instructor tells me the sidestand it still down, my brain did not compute 'stop, stand up, continue' and I dropped it

2/ out on a lesson on the 500, told to pull over and stop, noticed the lack of kerb but not the several inch drop onto the soft ground at the edge of the tarmac. Put my foot down off the edge, bike was then at too steep an angle for me to keep it upright and I dropped it (not before trying with all my might to keep it upright, every muscle down my right side was aching for a few days after that!)

3/ my own bike :shock: had just reversed it out of the garage I was keeping it in at the time and was doing a many point turn to turn it round in the driveway (from the ground because I am not tall enough to paddle it) which had the roughcast house wall on one side and a 6'fence with 2' wall in front on the other. Somehow managed to drop it against the fence, fortunately the handlebar stopped it and the fairing missed hitting the top of the wall by about 1cm :shock:

The only one I have ever dropped (excluding when someone hit me) was when I was stood stock still on my DAS talking to my instructor. He said in 20 years of training he had never seen someone who was sitting comfortably just drop it. To this day I have no idea how I did it. :roll: :oops:

A guy on one of my mod 1 lessons did this! Just sitting there chatting, next thing it was on the floor!

Um,...yes

1. Outside my mother in laws house, moving the bike round, and stood in a pothole, lost footing and let the bike drop gently

2. Later the same day stopped at a busy intersection, next thing, picking bike from floor while car drivers went round me, swearing and laughing

3. When I went to park my bike in my parents garage, and the garage door opened up nudging the rear wheel and rolling the bike from it's side stand

4. When I took my mate to football on the back, I didn't put the side stand down properly and the bike ended up on the floor.

At least now I have home made crash bungs (BMX stunt pegs bolted to 10mm threaded bar...total cost: about £5) it doesn't hurt so much...

I had a mate some years back who got his brand new Suzuki GT550 (Yes...that long ago!!). He came down to the place where we all met, stopped, went to put his foot down and got his jeans caught on the footpeg. He slowly keeled over on his left side....all in front of probably 50+ bikers!! We were laughing so much we had trouble lifting the bike off him. No damage to him and only a couple of small scratches on his new bike..... :lol: :lol:

Add another one i dropped the Piaggi-go at bristol,

Well it actually fell over and i was on it. The front wheel just slid side ways and it was there lying between my legs.

I just remember thinking hows that happen? 0mph no brakes just opps!

Add that to the long list of previous exploits. :D

One near miss on my exam ( lucky me have strong ties 8-) had nice comments from examinator :D

One drop on speed from 20 Mph to 0. Dropped it on 0 ofcourse. Too sudden stop with chin down.

Nice if there are about 5 guys just watching teaching lessons and two other newbies with their instructors pluss mine and the lessons take part next to highway :) Me :oops: on my back with fallen bike and bloody hair had to be out from the helmet (The first time I desided to leave them out). You can gess the reaction of pips :)

I just standed up, lifted the bike, forced a straight back, shrugged my shoulders to thouse laughing faces and made a hint to my hair and got back on my bike for another round. Was dieing inside :mrgreen: suddenly I felt my temperature rize really high but back on saddle calmed quite quickly 8-)

but hey got a good lesson :D

I've only been riding since August, done about 500 miles on the CBR, not dropped it yet but had a few small "moments" mostly when walking it around out of spaces backwards and nearly fallen over it :stupid:

Guest philgale

do you mean a simple drop or a drop drop :lol: either way the answer is yes.

got off my first bike to check something and parked facing down hill, bike just rolled off the side stand and bang.

and more recently, well a year ago came a proper drop

">

do you mean a simple drop or a drop drop :lol: either way the answer is yes.

got off my first bike to check something and parked facing down hill, bike just rolled off the side stand and bang.

and more recently, well a year ago came a proper drop

">

Was that the front letting go?

Guest philgale

Was that the front letting go?

certainly was....not sure why, pretty sure i didn't have the brake on, think i just carried too much speed into the corner and with it being an out lap tyres not fully up to temp...

all good fun, got up walked away fixed the bike so no biggy

Had a close shave a couple days ago nearly dropping my RE bullet, was trying to push it onto someones forecourt but had to get through their gate.

It was a wide gate and i was sitting on it as i pushed it forward, but couldnt fit through while on it so i had to get off, but i got off like a bit of a spastic trying to hold the front handle bars while walked back over it cos a i couldnt bring my leg over due to the fence in the way. anyway had no strength in my arms cos i was so extended and tip it did! BUT luckily i had called mate out to help as i forsaw myself doing something stupid and he just managed to catch it (if u can catch a bike... you know what i mean) before it went crashing into the fence. which would've been a true nightmare to pick up... not to mention what damage i would've caused.

so a big phewwwww on that one... and a new lesson learnt on one more way not get off a bike!