rattling from a CBR600

Sigil

Hi guys, my 02 CBR600F seems to have started to rattle at the lower end of the rev range, particularly when the revs drop off (mainly between 5-2.5k revs). the noise seems to be coming from the right side of the engin but am not sure. I was wondering if it was the cam chain tensioner as i have read that they are a common problem with the Honda bikes, if it is dose it have to be fixed immediately? if there is something wrong would like to be able to take it to the garage back at home when i go back over xmas (150 mile trip)

It is a 2002 modle with only 5k miles on the clock.

So the main question is something likely to be up? if so do i need to fix it immediately and how bad is it (cost wise).

Hope some one knows whats up, and thanks for any advise in advance :)

It could be the Cam chain. It is on the right hand side of the engine. But shouldn't really be causing a problem at 5k miles, so maybe ok to ride, (they progressively get worse).

Also check your fairings and front mudguard might be something as simple as bodywork rattling.

looking on youtube it dose seem like the cam chain tensioner... altho it dose seem not to bad to self fix, seems like you just need to encourage the tensioner to work properly by using a screwdriver. if so might have to give it a go.

watched:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGr9aMAg ... ure=relmfu

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqnfSOyq ... re=related

do you guys think that is worth giving a go?

and thanks for the offer alex, i dont have meny tools quite yet so will let you know if i do need some :)

I've changed the CCT on my CBR in the past. you will need to get the tank off. I didn't take the tank off when I did mine. Just propped it up and there wasn't much space. After lots of swearing and retrieval of dropped bolts down the engine I got there. :lol:

It's really not a hard job, just fiddly (without the tank off)

It's on the way out on mine, im getting a progressively louder and more rattly sounding tick at 3000-3500rpm though it's only there at present so I haven't done anything about it.

I took my tank off and christ it looks hard as the air box and throttle bodies are right in the way of it. So I think I will take the air box off when I service it, and then move the throtte bodies over to the left and that way I can retract the plunger properly.

how big a deal with doing a self repair on this part be? is it just a case of getting to the part and tightening it like on the vids? or is there more to it?

Or is it just such a pain to get to the cct?

Thanks for the replies btw :)

Its a 20 minute job (if you take it easy and get the right tools)

I'never took the tank off on any of mine, just prop it up

Can I ask how in the hell you did it in 20 mins!?!?! :shock: :shock:

I can't reach it from any angle. It looks like I need to take the tank off, airbox and throttle bodies off!

Because you need to retract the tensioner before you take it out and put it back in otherwise you can cause problems apparently :?

Its a 20 minute job (if you take it easy and get the right tools)

I'never took the tank off on any of mine, just prop it up

Can I ask how in the hell you did it in 20 mins!?!?! :shock: :shock:

I can't reach it from any angle. It looks like I need to take the tank off, airbox and throttle bodies off!

Because you need to retract the tensioner before you take it out and put it back in otherwise you can cause problems apparently :?

I got sent a link by a Honda mechanic with a step by step guide. I'll see if i still have it.

You just prop the tank up. It is fiddley but like anything 'use the correct tools' stay calm and it works

• 2 weeks later...

The rattle seems to of stoped completly now. dont know if its the cold or somthing has caused the cct to tighten up, but looks like i dont need to do it now. Altho i will keep the thread in mind when/if it does go wrong again :)

Thanks for all the help tho guys, know what to do if it happens again :)

It might have gone back to the right tension for a while but if it rattled at all for any extended period of time it has gone...

Mine is riddled with problems it seems so I am getting rid of it in the new year for something like an older GSXR or R6.

Check yours out, mine had a mangled airbox, rounded screws to the throttle bodies, a snapped tank holder bolt and I am fixing it and getting rid as it was meant to be reliable, I only let Honda's cross me once :lol:

sorry to hear that fozzie, did look over your post about getting another bike. might just be a bad one :(. Mine seems fine besides the cct going a little, with only 5k on the clock i hope it dosent fall apart anyway ><

Altho i will prob try out a 1L bike in 2 years or so (both once im use to the bike more and when insurance allows :P )

do you have any theories why so much was wrong with yours?

Crappy bodge it jobs for the past services?

The last owner was one of these older blokes who thinks he knew it all without knowing much at all, with this being poncy london I'm not surprised :lol:

It was rattling a little bit when I bought it but decided against changing it then as I figured it would get worse and then like my last one it would be off and on inside an hour. No so...

The last guy didnt stop and think when he was doing the work and that is what has caused this to happen in the first place :(

So Im fixing it for it to be someone elses problem. Hopefully a few years of being looked after by someone else will see it righted.

the problems you are having do seem like a right pain, but i think your right a couple of weekends with someone who knows what they are doing with right the thing.

Just hope the guy who gets it is a experienced biker, as a lemon for a first bike would really suck and could put people off.

ugh went on a ride today it was good fun, but the cct has started to make a noise. so much for it going away. Looks like i will need to tighten the cct, at home and got some tools for xmas so should have assess to most standard tools.

TC did you manage to find the link to the guide you used to adjust your CCT?

Or dose anyone have a good step by step guides, or any tips/things to look out for?

Cheers :)

Cheers them guides look good, next thing i need to do is order a CCT and then find a good time to do it :)

I think I will just use another automatic CCT. Dose anyone have any preferable shops to get there parts from or is ordering directly from honda the best bet?

Thanks for all the help everyone has been giving its appreciated :)

Been over what needs to be done with my dad and he wants to know a couple of things, im sure some of your guys can anser them tho :)

What do we need to use on the gasket to seal it? he suggested some type of gasket sealant but dosent know what one

Do we need/should we use thread lock for the bolts that hold the CCT on

and also would a full replacement CCT be best or should we just tighten it manually like the guy dose in the vid i first posted? the bike still has under 6k miles so would of thought it was just stuck. But then again its alot of effort to get to it so might just replace it :P

thanks for the very quick reply :)

looking over what needs to be done me and my dad will just allocate a weekend to do it and get it done then :).

Did you use any type of sealant or oil on the gasket to make sure it made a good seal?

Thanks again TC :)

Oh and what dose TC stand for :P ?

I reused the old gasket and put a bit of Hylomar on it, its not leaked in over 10k miles. I also fitted a manual cctl so i did use some blue locktite on the adjuster bolt. Cant remember if i used any on the bolts holding the cctl on, probably did. Just dont use the red locktite