Justice?

rennie

If it wasn't so easy to become a criminal there would be loads of space in prison for those that deserve it. End the stupid and immoral war on drugs, etc, and then there is no excuse to not lock up dangerous arsonists.

Does this mean that in the eyes of the law the crimes committed against Rennie are of little consequence?

A few nicked items and a bit of property damage is not the same as endangering the whole country against terrorists, but that's just how I see it.

I'm not for one minute comparing what happened to Rennie to matters of national security!quote]

Over here they used to burn Orange Lodge halls and Gaelic Football clubs and it wasnt treated

as a religious hate crime or something that risked national security. They need to grow a set

and start making the punishment harsher instead of tip toeing round these people. If they stopped

giving them nice warm rooms wioth TV's and playstations it would be a good start, I know people

are going to say jail's not the holiday camp people make it out to be but its still to soft.

They should get a sparsly furnished room with a basic bed and matress and three basic meals a day

that by the way shouldnt cost more than the meals they give kids in school and access to a library

and education.

In the book Freakanomics Steven Levitt shows how prison does work on many levels and the more people you lock up, the less crime there is.

We currently lock up more people than before and yet you are arguing that this both works and doesn't work.

In relation to the OPs question: http://leesoh.blogspot.com/2011/12/as-m ... ref=tw&m=1

If it wasn't so easy to become a criminal there would be loads of space in prison for those that deserve it. End the stupid and immoral war on drugs, etc, and then there is no excuse to not lock up dangerous arsonists.

I'm finding that I agree with Aaron more and more with every post.

My opinion... It's an insult! Bloody courts don't se to work.

Courts will never 'work'.

Crime is committed by people who think they can get away with it, not whether the rewards balance out the possible penalty.

Drink and drugs have a major effect on perception/fear of being caught and therefore make actions more excusable. The sober and considered destruction of a building with the possibility of murder in the process is a cold and callous act.

The main problem is that the courts, prison and criminal justice system cannot cope with the sheer numbers of criminals presented to it by the police.

The courts drop too many cases because of time constraints (they should sit 7 days a week and not just 5), not enough people go to prison. Then there are not there long enough to properly protect society and deter the criminal. Finally not enough people are properly treated for addiction (alcohol, drugs, gambling, kleptomania and sexual desires) and anger management, or get decent alternatives to prison sentences as the criminal justice system cannot cope with the resources it has.

A man will have appeared today in Paisley Sheriff Court and is facing his 103 conviction. He was recently found carrying a knife, but spent only a few months in prison before being released. He has never worked, he is an alcoholic drug user who deals with everyone he meets by being manipulative and aggressive. He should have been locked up years ago for a very long time, as a past all help case who society needs protecting from. In prison if he can show he is able to conqure his addictions and control his temper, then he could be given another chance, but some people seem to prefer prison life and so I say let them stay there and keep us safe.

They still find room in British prisons for (mainly woman) people who have not payed their TV licence :roll:

THE BBC and Home Office faced sustained criticism after the Prison Service revealed yesterday that 845 people were jailed last year for not having a television licence.

MPs and prison governors said it was 'absolutely crazy' to lock up licence fee dodgers in overcrowded jails. They called on BBC governors to seek other remedies and said Michael Howard, the Home Secretary, must act.

source @ The independant and many others

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/court ... 28836.html

No one should be in prison for non paymnt of anything. There are ways of taking the money from wages or benefits and that is what should be done with a court order attached giving people no choice in the matter.

There was a lady who recently appeared at Paisley Sheriff Court for non payment of a fine. She was arrested at Glasgow Airport on her way back from her holidays. She has no job, lives off benefits and states she could not afford to pay the fine :shock:

Didi you know that heroin addicts who are on the methadone programme can have an arrangement made to get a weeks supply and take it abroad with them so they can have a holiday?

Of course my attitude is 'been fined? You cannot afford a holiday', 'got an addiction? You need to come off it before you get a holiday'. These people have the consequences of their actions lessened for some reason and that virtually encourages them to commit crime.

No one should be in prison for non paymnt of anything. There are ways of taking the money from wages or benefits and that is what should be done with a court order attached giving people no choice in the matter.

There was a lady who recently appeared at Paisley Sheriff Court for non payment of a fine. She was arrested at Glasgow Airport on her way back from her holidays. She has no job, lives off benefits and states she could not afford to pay the fine :shock:

Didi you know that heroin addicts who are on the methadone programme can have an arrangement made to get a weeks supply and take it abroad with them so they can have a holiday?

Of course my attitude is 'been fined? You cannot afford a holiday', 'got an addiction? You need to come off it before you get a holiday'. These people have the consequences of their actions lessened for some reason and that virtually encourages them to commit crime.

Ofcourse, having never signed a contract obliging them to pay a license fee for the BBC, a TV license related fine should be invalid and stop noone from going on holiday.

When it comes to benefits claimants going on holiday - if you don't like people spending your money on things you don't approve of, then you shouldn't give it. Simples.

When it comes to heroin addicts going on holiday - If it wasn't illegal they could just stock up on the real thing to take away with them, and it wouldn't cost you and I a penny :cheers:

When I leave my job I am reverting to a life of crime as I will get away with most of what I intend to do 'out of fairness to the accused' and the punishments will be minor as I will get a good solicitor who always argues that 'I am really sorry and will try very hard to not do it again and will seek treatment for my problems'.

We should team up and for a motorbike crime gang, bet you that has not been tried before!

Ofcourse, having never signed a contract obliging them to pay a license fee for the BBC, a TV license related fine should be invalid and stop noone from going on holiday.

When it comes to benefits claimants going on holiday - if you don't like people spending your money on things you don't approve of, then you shouldn't give it. Simples.

When it comes to heroin addicts going on holiday - If it wasn't illegal they could just stock up on the real thing to take away with them, and it wouldn't cost you and I a penny :cheers:

I don't have a huge issue with a benefit claimant going on holiday, but one who has a fine to pay and choses to put two fingers up to a system that lets her get away with it, no that is wrong. Letting people pay a fine a £5 a week to avoid hardship is daft, the whole point of a fine is to punish.

It cost us the same amount whether methadone is stockpiled or given out as one large dose for multiple use.

When I leave my job I am reverting to a life of crime as I will get away with most of what I intend to do 'out of fairness to the accused' and the punishments will be minor as I will get a good solicitor who always argues that 'I am really sorry and will try very hard to not do it again and will seek treatment for my problems'.

We should team up and for a motorbike crime gang, bet you that has not been tried before!

Think I saw a a thread on flip up plates somewhere ......... and I think... You wont need a solicitor because to need one, there would have to be police on the streets to catch us and we will all be too busy doing bank jobs and even if they did turn up they wouldn't be allowed to chase us :roll:

It cost us the same amount whether methadone is stockpiled or given out as one large dose for multiple use.

I meant they can stock up on real heroin :)

But that costs them money, Scotland gives out methadone for free.

I meant they can stock up on real heroin :)

But that costs them money, Scotland gives out methadone for free.

So if it weren't illegal it would be cheap and they could buy their own and without fear of prosecution. No need to it to be given out for free.

If you are going to make presently controlled drugs legal, then do so with the same regulations as there is with alcohol and cigarettes. There should be age, quality and sale regulations and lots of tax to pay.

If you are going to make presently controlled drugs legal, then do so with the same regulations as there is with alcohol and cigarettes. There should be age, quality and sale regulations and lots of tax to pay.

I am not going to mention any names but there is a new drug craze for a plant that is currently growing wild all over britain and it is not an illegal substance and more powerful than LSD.

It originates from Japan and was bought over here many years ago and most of all it is FREE

Going back to the original post, sadly Ian it's because apparently the overrriding concern is that we have to be seen to be sympathetic to ethnic minorities or other minority groups which is evident in so many county councils, for example who prevent us from purchasing Christmas cards saying 'Happy Christmas' in case it upsets other religions. Now this is not meant to be a racist comment, it's just my observation on life.

I once saw a burglar who had broken into some neighbouring property and was climbing over my garden fence to get away. I phoned the police immediately who couldn't be bothered to send anyone round, till THREE MONTHS later, when they asked if I could come and look at suspect photos as two properties had been burgled on that same day. Well by that time I couldn't remember what this person looked like so what was the point, and why hadn't they sent someone round on the day when I phoned ...

Our justice system is @rse about face and I have absolutely NO faith in it.