Cold rider needing assistance

hey guys and girls i am currently riding my bike in pretty much cold weather

but after a while i am very cold indeed ;( hands,legs and feet mainly so the question is what

can i buy to warm me up wearing oxford bone dry gloves , long johns and thick socks but

doesnt seem to help in the over a hour riding cheers in advance .

but after a while i am very cold indeed ;( hands,legs and feet mainly so the question is what

can i buy to warm me up wearing oxford bone dry gloves , long johns and thick socks but

doesnt seem to help in the over a hour riding cheers in advance .

Heated grips

Cold Killers make a range of thermal underwear, not the cheapest but they are good :thumb:

Also several thinner layers works better at keeping you warm instead of a couple of thick layers :)

I bought a 2nd hand Belstaff jacket (£30) and Frank Thomas Aqua trousers (£20) off ebay....both have removable inner linings, so keep me nice and toasty. Gloves I have are Spada Enforcer....I've not used them in the wet yet and there is some debate on here about just how good they are in the wet....but they are quite warm. Walking socks inside my Sidi Black Rain Evo boots seem to work pretty good too.

We were out for about 3 hours today and the cold didn't give me any problems at all.

So if funds are tight look for some decent brand secondhand stuff on eBay or the like....you can find some pretty good gear on there for reasonable money.... :wink:

A bus pass :mrgreen:

But seriously

Leather trousers are a must for cold riding. The amount of heat lost through the air cooling of your limbs is vast. You have to shut out all the draughts so a big scarf or neck protector will make a difference. Silk under gloves and balacalava, silk mind, make a big difference.

Longer gloves, long enough to come over your sleeves, keeps the wind out.

Don't go overboard tho, don't wear so much lagging that you can't move as you need to.

Porridge helps too 8-)

Layers. I wear a thermal vest, thick shirt, fleece jumper, hikers fleece and lined jacket; long johns; 2 pairs of socks (normal+thermal); cotton inner gloves. I look like a toddler in a snow suit, but it keeps me comfy.

Only the top layer is biker gear - thermals are Tesco ..... and very good too. Inner gloves from an outdoor shop - £5.00.

It`s all been said above but having done 5 winters now, I can confirm, lots of thin layers. I have a one piece very thin thermal undersuit, chill out tops and bottoms and (I know its a rain suit) but I picked up a "Johnny jacket" at BMF last year for a fiver. I thought this would be good to keep the wind out so I stick this on directly under my textile jacket. This certainly keeps the cold wind out and the warm air in. As for gloves, get a decent pair. If monies a prob, use your summer ones with thin inner gloves (again as been said) Alternatively try marigolds (pervy sounding I know) but I`ve been told they work by keeping out the wind too.

Good luck in staying warm and ride safe.

Just an aside about wearing diesel/plastic gloves inside your normal ones...

I did this when we went to Matlock in December, and whilst they did work by keeping my hands 'warm' just beware of putting them back on after a stop. If the inside of the gloves becomes clammy & you put them back on, the cold dampness will freeze your hands!!!! :shock:

It`s all been said above but having done 5 winters now, I can confirm, lots of thin layers. I have a one piece very thin thermal undersuit, chill out tops and bottoms and (I know its a rain suit) but I picked up a "Johnny jacket" at BMF last year for a fiver. I thought this would be good to keep the wind out so I stick this on directly under my textile jacket. This certainly keeps the cold wind out and the warm air in. As for gloves, get a decent pair. If monies a prob, use your summer ones with thin inner gloves (again as been said) Alternatively try marigolds (pervy sounding I know) but I`ve been told they work by keeping out the wind too.

Good luck in staying warm and ride safe.

Whats pervy about marigolds Neil?

Are heated gloves better than heated grips? The main reason I don't go out in winter is that I have bad circulation and get freezing really quickly (doesn't even have to be that cold :roll: ). I've heard that your fingers can still get cold with the grips, and it's my fingers that freeze.

I think I mentioned this before on another thread....but ladies tights under your trousers work well too.....just don't crash as explaining it to hospital staff may be more painfull..... :lol:

I think I mentioned this before on another thread....but ladies tights under your trousers work well too.....just don't crash as explaining it to hospital staff may be more painfull..... :lol:

It's not the tights that you need to worry about. The g-string, suspenders and garter belt might take a bit of explaining though.. :lol: