Tick over speed?

Donnie Brasco

In the past few days I've noticed that once my CBR125 is fully warmed up it idles at 2000rpm,isn't that a bit too high?The user manual says 1500 give or take 100. Is it really a problem or shall I leave the thing alone?

Just to ad that I've checked that the choke is fully off.

BTW they fitted fuel injection from 2007 on cbr125's,My bike is a 2007 model and I still cannot establish whether its a carb or injection,there's not a lot on the manual to say whether its an ''RW6'' or ''RW7''. Does having a manual choke indicated that its a carb?

Thanks

If it has a manual choke then it is carb, the tick over is a bit high and will not help when you are trying to do slow stuff, there will be an adjuster somewhere to slow it down possibly sticking out just behind where your legs are while you are sat on her, as above if you can get the haynes manual it will help alot :D

You can see the carb easily if you sit down next to the bike and look at the back of the cylinder head :)

Its just a simple screw on the right hand side near the bottom that controls it I think on the one I knew, it was a 2007 model and carbed so likely yours is also carbed with a choke lever. I have only seen some early 2000's suzukis with a choke lever and injection.

You can see the carb easily if you sit down next to the bike and look at the back of the cylinder head :)

Its just a simple screw on the right hand side near the bottom that controls it I think on the one I knew, it was a 2007 model and carbed so likely yours is also carbed with a choke lever. I have only seen some early 2000's suzukis with a choke lever and injection.

Fozzie you're a legend mate,problem is that I usually have enough textbook info to carry out the work and rectify the problem but don't have the guts to hold a spanner with the fear of messing something else up :o

Get your self a tourque wrench (Screwfix do some decent enough cheap ones), some bits and wait for your Haynes Manual, and take your time! You'll be fine! If you're removing any fairing to get access get a tube of Thread-lock and don't over tighten the bolts or you can crack the plastic, just finger and thumb tight is enough, the Thread-lock will do the rest.

When you adjust your idle, do it with the engine running (on the stand, in neutral d'oh) and remember, tiny, weeny little adjustments.

Have fun!

I've never had a fuel injected bike so can't help if that's the case.

it can cause more wear on the clutch, but 500 over wont have made a huge amount of wear...

What I would do first. I would establish if it was a carburettor or a fuel injection. Have a look over the bike, is there a choke, it should be clearly labled if there is. It's usually on the handlebars of hondas. Left side. Now check if theres a petcock too... If you find both you have a carb.

Now, to fix the problem.

1. Remove the right side fairing. Usually a few bolts, check your manual, it should tell you this.

2. Locate the idle screw. It was on the right hand side of my old honda 125. [edit] It often has a little spring on it

3. Start the bike, let it warm up to it's normal operating temperature. Setting the idle when it's cold will mean when the engine warms it will idle too high again.

4. the screw will be quite sensetive, you only need to turn it about a quarter of a turn at a time. Each quarter turn, have a friend, or take a look yourself at the tachometer. When you achieve around 1.5kRPM, that you done. Put it all back together and your good to go.

For fucks sakes. Seriously...If you want money, get a job. Earn what you own. Scum of the earth. So sorry to hear that mate. it happened to my brother too, his 2011 cbf125 got stolen outside his work. Also happened to my stepdad... 1100 virago was stolen, police were useless in both cases. But my stepdad managed to find his bike in someones garden. So keep your chin up, and go through some rough neighbourhoods in your local area, it's worth a shot sometimes. Hope you find it or your local police are better than northamptons.