Out of the frying pan..

GazW

Im a chef, I work in a venue surrounded by office complexes, this afternoon I had a table of 12 order food and a table of 2 seconds afterwards, I managed to get all 14 meals out within 17 minutes (I work alone during dinnertime service) which is fast, the table of 2 kicked off saying that they only get 30 minutes dinner break and the food had taken too long so therefor they wanted a refund. I'm not like a Yates, we work with raw chicken and ingredients as opposed to processed food that's microwaved and on your table before you are. (don't eat Yates burgers.. They are microwaved) someone fitting my description may have left the kitchen, and told them something along the lines of, this is a proper restaurant, that chicken has been cooked from raw, in future if you wanna pay, eat, and leave within 20 minutes then McDonalds is 5 minutes down the road.. Apparently they requested my head office details and are going to lodge a formal complaint against me... So now, we play the waiting game.

People like that make my blood boil, nowhere on the menu does it say that we can cater round ten spare minutes you may have.

Non too bothered anyway, I doubt I'll get sacked, and won't struggle to find work if I do, but have been kitchen manager for 4 months so I would prefer to get a year behind me and move on to a bigger kitchen. Only time will tell

Things like this make my blood boil some people really do piss me off they think because they are paying they expect you to do cart wheels for them :roll:

If I went out for a meal I would expect it in 20 - 30 mins ish no sooner if it was sooner I would start thinking how long has it been sat there already cooked etc!

This is my problem I could never work in the service industry again, I would end up telling them to foxtrot Oscar!

I'm lucky where I work the customer is always wrong!

Don't get me started, the front of house team here is shocking to say the least, the girl who was on this morning is not the brightest, she was employed under that government scheme to get 16-24 year olds into work, and to be honest from what I have seen pass through here in the past year there's a reason there are well over a million unemployed.

Even the academically intelligent ones have zero common sense or initiative. She's doing an NVQ in food and hospitality on the job and I was sat with her whilest she was filling in a key skills workbook, she put an asterisk saying need help next to 'write £6487.29 in words', it wasn't that exact figure but it was only a 4 figure number with a decimal point.

The reason I went out front was she took the meals out, and came back saying they want a refund, the pub manager was doing a post office run and as I was the kitchen manager on shift I went to deal with it (somewhat heavy footed) the principle of what I was saying stands though, our company standard is to aim for 20 minutes from ordering to eating or to inform the guest before they order if there's a wait on food which I think is reasonable..

They just trying it on hopeing to get a freebiee mate dont worry about it besides you not a manager until at least 3 members of the idiots (general public) have written and complained about ya , tyhere are loads of pro moaners out there who just want to get freebies out of the big companies

20 min, wow you were doing well and if your policy is 20 m in or less then it needs changing. we have the same problem but them customers dont usually get far beyond the waiting staff tbh. you sound like you need your managers to be quick at training and turning staff around if they aint good enough if your getting tables of like 17 in at once. if you dont cut it in our place your out end of. do you have problem with a lack of applicants? perhaps for a small price i could come n kick arse n show them how its done lmao

Best thing to do in those situations is be calm, listen to what they have to say and then explain the company policies etc. As long as you are sure you have done everything right then there is no reason to worry. The problems start if you argue with the customer or be rude and abrupt to them. You can be forceful and sincere in what you say but don't lose your temper.

:cheers:

Dealing with the public is the worst thing about my job and I never speak to shop assistants or call centre staff the way I have been spoken to! Most members of the general public are either rude, ignorant or just plain stupid and I do wonder how some people manage to get out of bed in the morning! :roll:

Actually, I had to wait 17minutes and 14 seconds! Like..,. WTF! If you don't do 'fast food' and pre-cook everything, you should say so on your posters. Who eats 'cooked from raw' these days? There might be somat wrong we it!

If my bro (who has a degree and everythin) were to take that long to serve food in his 3 star restaurant (Kentucky Fried Chicken), then he would get the push!

:up: