Please help!

Guest JackD118

<t>Preferred bike of the 2?</t>  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred bike of the 2?

• Kawasaki KX 125
    • Yamaha DT 125

So, I'm 16 and I'm looking to get a 125cc for my 17th birthday.

The problem is, I'm stuck between 2 bikes: Yamaha DT125 and a Kawasaki KX125.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't know a lot about bikes. But my question is, which of these would be better? (Road legal of course.)

If you have any other recommendations, please let me know. I'm looking for a motocross style bike, but it has to be road legal.

Also, if someone could help me with a rough price for everything (Bike, Insurance, Protective gear, CBT) I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

DT_125.jpg.858d73a63ab8b7a6b7e05f460a93db48.jpg

Yamaha DT125

KX125.jpg.1fe500db60e8cfac40475b803f3db020.jpg

Kawasaki KX125

What will you be using the bike for? If its just to get about on the road then I wouldn't get any of those they are off road biased and won't handle very well on the road

Well....the DT is road legal and the KX isn't....so that should narrow your choice a bit..... :lol:

Insurance you will have to research yourself coz it depends on so many things (where you live, will the bike be garaged overnight, will you be using it for commuting, etc). Crash Helmet....always buy new and try on as many as you can to find one that fits you.

As for gear......the sky is the limit really. Decent Textile jacket and trousers can set you back £50 - £1000.....but if you are on a tight budget have a look around for 2nd hand stuff. Bike boots....again they vary a lot in price....and you can look for 2nd hand again if funds are tight. Leather gloves are best....and you need to decide if you want them to be waterproof or not.....and the price will vary depending on this....and again look for 2nd hand if you need to.

Not very specific....but have a look on eBay or other sites to get an idea of the price of gear.....

Good Luck.... :)

I will mainly be using the bike for the road, to college and back. And if the occasion occurs, maybe off-road. I did prefer the Yamaha DT125. Or some sort of Dirt bike. As for protective gear, I would only need the Helmet and Gloves. As for a budget, the most I would like to spend all together is around £3000 (Give or take.) I appreciate the help you have given me already but if there is anything else, you could add? I'd really appreciate it.

I don't find a full protective outfit necessary as I only live about a mile and a half away from my college. But I'm sure I'd end up getting them anyway. But even if I don't I'd wear a couple of layers of clothes.

Hi Jack, welcome to the forum

Why are you looking for a motocross style, is it because you are tall, have done motocross or just because you like the look?

If it is a height thing then you could consider something like the Honda Varadero 125.

As Tango said, the Yammy is the only choice out of those two. There's a Kawasaki KLX 125 that I think is road legal and something called a D-Tracker that looks to be motocross looks for road use.

No personal experience of any of these though. I would also go for a road bike for the road.

Full protective gear should be worn at all times

I don't find a full protective outfit necessary as I only live about a mile and a half away from my college. But I'm sure I'd end up getting them anyway. But even if I don't I'd wear a couple of layers of clothes.

I hear what you're saying but please reconsider this viewpoint.

The distance you'll be travelling is pretty irrelevant really - an accident can happen 100 yds from home!

I would advise to at least have a proper bike jacket with all the protection in it, even if you don't buy trousers ( which personally I feel are essential too - as well as boots).

There is well -documented video evidence showing what can happen to a person's body when it isn't suitably protected!

Not nagging, just pointing it out :)

I rode a dtr for a long time! Brill bikes on the road imo! Only if you get decent tyres though. You can get a type called "cats paws", its the type of tread. (Half on road have off road). They're alot better on the road than propper offroad tyres :) they're tall bikes so id try on for size if you can to make sure it'll fit.

Older ones are 2 stroke (the one in your pic is for example) they are 2 stroke so require 2 stroke oil.

I dont know if it wad just the bike i rode (my bfs old bike) but it had s powervalve and was derestricted to 33bhp. Which is illegal on a cbt btw so make sure you take a good look before you buy. Especially ad these types of bike seem to attract the young chav kind of person who will rag it and clog it on to you when it dieing!

Did you know that if you come off your bike at 50mph the tarmac can wear through skin and bone at 2 inches a second!!

I hear what you're saying but please reconsider this viewpoint.

The distance you'll be travelling is pretty irrelevant really - an accident can happen 100 yds from home!

I would advise to at least have a proper bike jacket with all the protection in it, even if you don't buy trousers ( which personally I feel are essential too - as well as boots).

There is well -documented video evidence showing what can happen to a person's body when it isn't suitably protected!

Not nagging, just pointing it out :)

I told my Mum, that'd it would be better with the protective gear, because I have seen pictures etc.. of what can happen. And she said that she was going to buy it me anyway. :D

Did you know that if you come off your bike at 50mph the tarmac can wear through skin and bone at 2 inches a second!!

Yeah, and it ain't very nice. :shock:

Kawasaki KLX125 is the road going version. IMO I would buy the gear before the bike.. Insurance, many many factors, but the fact the DT is probably one of the most stolen bikes ever made would probably see you between 5-600 at a guess, maybe around 450 on the kwak. Let me know how far off I am when you try quotes, I would be trying them ASAP it may change your bike of choice!

I rode a dtr for a long time! Brill bikes on the road imo! Only if you get decent tyres though. You can get a type called "cats paws", its the type of tread. (Half on road have off road). They're alot better on the road than propper offroad tyres :) they're tall bikes so id try on for size if you can to make sure it'll fit.

Older ones are 2 stroke (the one in your pic is for example) they are 2 stroke so require 2 stroke oil.

I dont know if it wad just the bike i rode (my bfs old bike) but it had s powervalve and was derestricted to 33bhp. Which is illegal on a cbt btw so make sure you take a good look before you buy. Especially ad these types of bike seem to attract the young chav kind of person who will rag it and clog it on to you when it dieing!

I'd prefer to buy a used one, preferably 1-2 years old. And I have heard that a DT is really reliable and handle really well. And I really don't understand anything about a motorbikes engine other than the pistons are different to that of a car :?

I appreciate all the help guys... and girls :D But I think I've made my choice...

Yamaha DT125

Hopefully this is the right choice. I'm not gonna buy it yet, I'll keep looking for more. But this is the bike I would love. Thanks again!

Yeah, and it ain't very nice. :shock:

so your hands will look fine will just need to tell them where to mail then as your arms will be shredded

Kawasaki KLX125 is the road going version. IMO I would buy the gear before the bike.. Insurance, many many factors, but the fact the DT is probably one of the most stolen bikes ever made would probably see you between 5-600 at a guess, maybe around 450 on the kwak. Let me know how far off I am when you try quotes, I would be trying them ASAP it may change your bike of choice!

I tried to get a quote and, the cheapest was £3000+ I think I may have filled the form out incorrectly though, or surely something was wrong, because a friend of mine has a 50cc Moped and his insure was about £300. But I'll have to have a look through the insurance with my Dad, I don't really understand all of that.

The DT is looking rather old...

The Kwak looks awsome and boy youll have fun on the green lanes with that.

I wont be getting that exact one, just putting a picture as an example.

I tried to get a quote and, the cheapest was £3000+ I think I may have filled the form out incorrectly though, or surely something was wrong, because a friend of mine has a 50cc Moped and his insure was about £300. But I'll have to have a look through the insurance with my Dad, I don't really understand all of that.

Three grand does seem steep, but it's a highly desirable bike for scrotes to nick, wouldn't be a surprise to find a lot would have been written off, insurance is all statistics and unfortunately the bike in question is against you.

Will it be garaged? Where you live makes a huge difference, how did you enter your age as your not 17 yet, so shouldn't be able to get a quote on it at the minute anyway, try putting your age as 17 and see what happens.

Shouldnt really be too much you could enter wrong that will make a massive difference, you don't have convictions I assume, nor no claims.

Before anyone can guide you on which bike, the KX125 you've mentioned is an off road motorcrosser which btw has considerably more power/bhp that would be legal even on the road, if you were to make it road legal.

I'm sure you mean a Kawasaki KMX125?

Graham

Before anyone can guide you on which bike, the KX125 you've mentioned is an off road motorcrosser which btw has considerably more power/bhp that would be legal even on the road, if you were to make it road legal.

I'm sure you mean a Kawasaki KMX125?

Graham

I did mean a KX125 but like I said in my original post, I don't know an awful lot about bikes. But I decided yesterday that I would have the Yamaha DT125.

Going on your theory, a motorbike won't be necessary. A push bike would be sufficiant to travel a mile and a half.. I take it you won't be going out and about on it??