DAS / First Accident

I passed my CBT late January, and my theory last week.

I have been fairly confident with my riding and so booked my DAS for the beginning/middle of April.

This morning I had my first accident, I was cornering at a comfortable speed, a corner which I've been round in the wet before and even temperatures below -5.

I don't know what changed this morning as it happened so fast, felt the back end go and managed to hold on until I hit the grass verge for a softer landing. My calf is incredibly painful this morning and have a sever limp. The bike is pretty much okay, the handlebar is pretty bent so will need to be getting a new one.

I'm not sure how this will affect my confidence when riding, and with my DAS booked for next month I can't help but feel maybe I've rushed the process and should wait a little while longer?

I don't ride like a fool, and as I'm still a learner I abide by the speed limits and keep my head screwed on.

Anyone have any advice, or been in a similar situation?

Regards.

Could have been some dirt/diesel on the road and have you checked your tyre pressures recently? Anything like that could have caused you to come off.

I came off in November and broke my hand. Similar incident to yours, going round a bend that I knew at a normal speed. I got back on this weekend for the first time feeling a bit rusty and less confident but will get better.

My advice would be to analyse everything about what happened and whether you could have done anything different, and learn from it. Also, get back on a soon as you can and start building up your confidence again. I'd still go for the DAS if thats what you were planning to do, when you pass you can still stay on a 125 if you want but I found riding the bigger bike easier than a 125, and it will only go as fast as you make it :)

:cheers:

Onwards & upwards mate, chin up it happens & your ok albeit a sore calf....

So ok, any signs of a spillage? Diesel, gravel, etc?

Tyres ok? pressure, cuts, tears etc.

Go back to the corner & have a look then asap go do the corner again..

At least your safe.

Thanks for the replies!

Well, the tyre pressure should be fine, I will check when I get in this evening to make sure.

I don't know whether to tell the Mrs or not, she'll only worry because she knows I'll be doing my tests soon.

I did see on the news that last night did go down to freezing, so there's a possibility of ice on the road. I have to go past on the way home for lunch so will have a look for any spills.

Thanks again.

Tell your Mrs mate because she will find out sooner or later anyway.

As said before get back on as soon as you can and take the same bend again, once you have done this you will get your confidence back :D

Join the club of unexpected, not doing anything daft at the time accidents. I agree with going back and having a look and figuring out what happened or else you will dwel on what happened. Mine was probably a combination of the tyre contaminated with oil and the seem of tar between layers of tarmac meant the front wheel lost traction very briefly and I came off.

I hope it is just the handlebars that are bent. The forks may have also twisted.

Have you been able to ride since the accident? You want to get back on the bike ASAP.

Got straight back on it mate, only happened this morning on the way to work. A lady stopped to see if I was okay and that was it. off I went. When I get in tonight will give it a thorough check over to see if everything is okay.

I'll try and grab a photo in a bit.

Thanks again!

Checked tyre pressure, which was 19PSI in the rear! meant to be 28PSI.

Would this have caused a tyre to slip more on a wet morning?

I'd have thought over inflation would make it worse?

The tyre is 30% down on pressure, so yes it would have made a major difference and most likely the main cause of you crashing.. You should really check your tyres at least once a week, or before you go for a long ride out.

Checked tyre pressure, which was 19PSI in the rear! meant to be 28PSI.

Would this have caused a tyre to slip more on a wet morning?

I'd have thought over inflation would make it worse?

The tyre is 30% down on pressure, so yes it would have made a major difference and most likely the main cause of you crashing.. You should really check your tyres at least once a week, or before you go for a long ride out.

Righto, will make sure they're checked regularly.

My confidence is still feeling a bit beaten. Feeling pretty nervous on corners even on a warm dry day like today.

Hopefully time will cure it.

EDIT: How has your confidence been since your accident in November. And you say you found riding a bigger bike easier? could you elaborate?

Thanks again.

My confidence is still feeling a bit beaten. Feeling pretty nervous on corners even on a warm dry day like today.

Hopefully time will cure it.

EDIT: How has your confidence been since your accident in November. And you say you found riding a bigger bike easier? could you elaborate?

Your confidence will come back, will just take a bit of time and you are doing better than me if you ride a lot.

I have only been out once since I came off and that was a couple of weekends ago. I did about 130 miles in total and was the same as you, nervous going into bends. I was ok on main roads but on some really narrow country roads I had to slow down a lot, more so than usual especially if I saw some dirt on the road but I did get more comfortable as the miles racked up. The chicken strips on the rear tyre (which is new) are about 1/2 wide at the mo, but they'll get smaller :D

I only rode a 125 for the CBT and had my first lesson on one as I had 3 months inbetween. The power difference of the bigger bike was instantly noticeable (and a little scary) but at more than walking pace it felt more stable and was easier to pull away from junctions etc. I just found that you had to work too hard to pull away and get a 125 up to speed and I felt more vunerable on a smaller bike with L plates on.

:cheers: