Casey Stoner to retire at end of 2012 season

Ratser

Stoner to Retire At End Of 2012 Season

Casey Stoner Announces Retirement At End of 2012 Season :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :rubeyes: :cry:

Reigning MotoGP™ World Champion Casey Stoner confirmed on Thursday that he would retire from the sport at the end of the 2012 season.

The Repsol Honda rider addressed the media at the start of the official pre-event press conference for the Monster Energy Grand Prix de France, making a short statement in which he outlined the reasons behind his decision.

“After a long time thinking, a lot of time talking with my family and my wife, this has been coming for a couple of years now but at the end of this 2012 season I will be not racing in the 2013 Championship. I will be finishing my career at the end of this season in MotoGP, and go forward in different things in my life,” Stoner told the assembled press.

“After so many years of doing this sport which I love, and which myself and my family made so many sacrifices for, after so many years of trying to get to where we have gotten to at this point, this sport has changed a lot and it has changed to the point where I am not enjoying it. I don't have the passion for it and so at this time it's better if I retire now.

“There are a lot of things that have disappointed me, and also a lot of things I have loved about this sport, but unfortunately the balance has gone in the wrong direction. And so, basically, we won't be continuing any more. It would be nice if I could say I would stay one more year, but then where does it stop? So we decided to finish everything as we are now.”

Stoner, who won the 2007 MotoGP™ with Ducati and the 2011 crown with Honda, currently leads the 2012 standings by a single point ahead of Jorge Lorenzo heading into this weekend's fourth round.

As I said before ;) (thread didn't show up on my phone) it was mentioned before but fair play to him decided that racing isn't that important to him at this time of his life.

Now we just need rossi's retirement and an influx of new riders.

As I said before ;) (thread didn't show up on my phone) it was mentioned before but fair play to him decided that racing isn't that important to him at this time of his life.

Now we just need rossi's retirement and an influx of new riders.

Don't agree with youre comment about Rossi mate,think he's got plenty to offer yet but maybe not with Ducati.

A lot of rider contracts up at the end of the season so will be very interesting to see who goes where.

Thing is I would say he's burnt his bridges so if not with ducati then where?

On topic who other than lorenzo would you see at repsol honda, crutchlow for a year till marquez has served his apprentiship :)

Rossi is done he HAD a good career!

Just had a chat wi a mate and I thought ideal opportunity for giving bradl the seat it opens the satalite honda for marquez, also if pedrosa can't beat bradl he had no reason to be pissed at being dropped a year later, at the moment pedders must be laughing!

Don't think that Rossi has or can get over the sad Simoncelli incident that he and Colin Edwards got involved in on top of which I think that he's now 'yesterday's man'. I wouldn't be too suprised if Honda don't take a hard look at Cal Crutchlow for 2013, he's one of the few riders who can ruin a full works 'star's day though the prime choice has to be Marc Marquez but he'd have to be a 'satellite' team rider for his first year in GP.

Much as I have loved watching Rossi racing (his ding-dong with Stoner at Laguna Seca a few years ago was some of the best I've seen!!) I feel he should've retired when he was on top of his game.

I know it has always been his ambition to ride for Ducati, but since joining them he's faded into insignificance :(

As for Stoner, much as I don't like the spoilt brat personality, I can't deny that he must rank as one of the best there's been as far as winning is concerned.

I don't think he likes the idea of it all going to the CRT machines, I don't think he'd see the same thrill in it so he's taking the chance to go be with his sprog while it presents. I like him, I love the way he wrestles the bike round (usually sideways). I love the racing he and Lorenzo have even when they've got such completely different styles they're still so closely matched but good luck to him. I'm sure it won't be the last time or place we see him, I think he'd be bored out of his mind without something... maybe TT in 2 or 3 years?

Rossi ain't going back to Honda! I'd love him to get the Ducati competitive but is it worth it now with the way CRT rules are coming in? I think he might stick around to see how it changes on CRT and see if he can still do it but he wants to see his career out at Ducati, I thought?

I reckon Crutchlow might get the factory Yamaha ride if he carries on like he is, Spies certainly isn't helping himself to hold on to it. You've got Smith guaranteed a ride with Tech3 next year so one of Crutchlow or Dovi has to move and the way they're going I think one of those will get the factory ride. I would have said Crutchlow was edging it but whose decision was it to give Dovi the factory spec brakes last time out?

Hope Rossi never returns to Honda not that I think he will get the chance.

Maybe if Lorenzo is poached by Honda then their may be a chance for him back at Yamaha,seemed to leave on good terms.

You never know Ducati might get their act together before pens are put to paper and a golden swansong might be on the cards.

With the rules as they stand Marquez needs a satellite next year,how many years did Bautista get?

Wouldn't rule out Honda putting pressure on to get the rookie rule overturned,with Repsol sponsorship would like to get their golden boy on the factory.

:lol: Only just started this season and we are already thinking who's going where next year.

Steve

Edited by ManInASuitcase

There are rumours that Rossi is putting together his own team in partnership with Coca Cola but this would mean it would have to be a CRT with the current rules.

Crt lol would you believe that rumour?

Sounds like it's very very worth watching the build up on the BBC tomorrow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motogp/18127320

Sounds like Stoner's basically said he's had enough of the fact he gets 2 hours on the bike and hundreds doing media/promotion etc. and doesn't like it any more

Rossi's announced he's staying for 2 years after this one though