A mechanical question that i would like so input on?

hurtank

So i did it! I brought a Varadero :D And i am officially back on a bike after almost 2 years! But i do have a slight problem! I have a datatool alarm on the bike. And Even though I've only had the bike since sunday I have noticed that it seems to drain the battery super fast! Could anyone give me some tips to try and combat this? Or is it a case of new battery?

My Datatool doesn't seem to drain it that fast i.e. weeks could go by and i could still start it. However in the recent weather and wind if it's constantly going off then I'd consider sticking it in immobilised, alarm off mode.

Unless it's part of your insurance cover or if you ride the bike every day, get rid of it. I have read of so many alarm systems ruining good batteries over winter , with an Optimate connected, and when bikes aren't used every day!!!

Is it a new bike? it may just be an old tired battery, an optimate charger is the way to go if you are not useing the bike regulary. Would not take the alarm off, sods law states "you wish you had'nt" If you know how, connect an amp meter inline with the battery an check how much drain the alarm is on the battery. Hope this helps?! Enjoy your new bike

I'm Using the bike on a daily basis! Its draining the battery after around 8 hours of non use. Its a second hand bike. from 2005. The battery isnt going to be perfect but it was replaced last year.

On that note, l suggest you get it tested to see how much is being drain from the battery whilst its parked up. It might not be the alarm system thats at fault.

If you have a multimetre try checking the levels, disconnect the battery overnight and check the levels again in the morning.

This will tell you if its the battery that's knacked at least.

Unless it's part of your insurance cover or if you ride the bike every day, get rid of it. I have read of so many alarm systems ruining good batteries over winter , with an Optimate connected, and when bikes aren't used every day!!!

agreed I said this only the other day I had a data tool alarm when it worked it as at best a pain in the arse, when it went wrong it was a nightmare! Bin it!

My alarm killed my battery at the weekend, ive now decided to add a switch in a hidden location to isolate the alarm when its not needed - ie when its safely locked in the (alarmed) garage during the week.

I have an Optimate4, but dont like the idea of leaving it connected to the bike all the time.

I have an Optimate4, but dont like the idea of leaving it connected to the bike all the time.

they are designed to be connected all the time!

mine is on all them time when the bike is parked up all my bike have been on some sort of charger

the only time I ever lost a battery is when an oxford charger went tits up and fried the battery new battery and charger and its still as good as new 5 years later!

a battery is kept healthy by been fully charged it will die if left to drain even just to 75%

they are designed to be connected all the time!

mine is on all them time when the bike is parked up all my bike have been on some sort of charger

the only time I ever lost a battery is when an oxford charger went tits up and fried the battery new battery and charger and its still as good as new 5 years later!

a battery is kept healthy by been fully charged it will die if left to drain even just to 75%

I know that's what they are designed for, but i don't like leaving anything powered up i my garage - too many flammable substances and expensive stuff. Also I've seen batteries explode, so don't fancy risking my bike and garage content to a fifty quid charger..

Also, have you felt the heat these thing put out?? Its got to be costing a few quid a year to run. Probably cheaper in the long run just to buy a new battery lol.

I know that's what they are designed for, but i don't like leaving anything powered up i my garage - too many flammable substances and expensive stuff. Also I've seen batteries explode, so don't fancy risking my bike and garage content to a fifty quid charger..

Also, have you felt the heat these thing put out?? Its got to be costing a few quid a year to run. Probably cheaper in the long run just to buy a new battery lol.

they only put out heat when they are charging once your battery is full it will just sit there using hardly any power waiting for it to drop a little bit then charges it back up!

you will be lucky if it charges 2-3 times a week and it only charges for 30 min cycles

each to their own though :)

each to their own though :)

yep, I just dont like to leave stuff switched on in the garage.. its far enough away from the house for me not to notice if it burst into flames.

It Would be interesting to monitor the voltage drop of the battery over the week. Now the alarm is disconnected, the bike should be drawing very little current from the battery, so I would hope it didn't drop below 75% during the week between weekend rides, and even if it did, a good ride should charge it up. Worse case the Optimate4 is meant to be very good at recovering dead batteries.

With average life of a battery about three years, that's likely longer than i will keep the bike for so next time the battery dies, it'll be a good excuse to buy a whole new bike ;)