Stationary obstacle

OK so there's a parked vehicle blocking my side of the road, and cars are coming the other way. Not enough space to squeeze through. I stop behind the parked car's right wheel to let oncoming traffic past. Should I put my right indicator on so traffic behind me knows I'm not parking but waiting?

I've drawn an image to illustrate:

http://t67.eu/stationary_obstacle.png

Edited by Guest

if it helps then yes. when thinking of signals, ask yourself

would a signal benefit?

would a signal confuse?

simples

but remember, u hav more signals than indicators, even the position of your vehicle :idea:

• 2 weeks later...

Nice picture by the way, I give it an A+ :lol:

I probably wouldn't signal, just position myself near the white line, clutch in (or neutral if there's tons of traffic) with my foot on the back brake so the light shows.

I came across this scenario during my CBT and the instructor said that I shouldn't indicate. My road position should be enough to show my intentions to other road users and anyone following me should be able to see past to see the stationary obstacle.

Andy

Other option is to try not to have to stop in the first place.

You see the obstacle ahead, and the aproaching cars prevent you from going round the parked car. If you slow down to give other cars time to pass, then you can go round without needing to stop 8-)

I wouldn't signal as good road position would be more then enough

+1. They wont think you are stopped if looking ahead and near the white lines. Dont forget, your not in a car, they can see clearly from way back that there is someone in the driving seat and ready to move. Cars behind will expect you to move off.

Personally though, under these (rare) circumstances (I mean really, how often is there NOT enough room? If you need to clip a wing mrror or two to get through, there is enough room :P ) I also park slightly at an angle pointing out, with the front wheel past the line ofthe edge of the parked car so it is clear I am looking to go as soonas there is room. Also, it means if a lorry or bus comes, then you just need to roll it backwards slightly to get out of the way.

If there is room for a lorry to come through there is enough room for you and a car :lol:

Not that I would go for it!

As a general rule I try not to stop and time it right for a gap if you have to stop read my first post above :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Always leave a doors width. Its onus on the rider to ensure this happens. If someone opens a car door while your riding past, its going to hurt! Not to mention your wallet as it will be your fault.