Are total waterproofs just a myth...?

I just bought a pair of JTS motorcycle waterproof trousers. They are textile and made of a sort of gortex/kevlar material.

During a run to work (about 12.5 miles) in very heavy rain I get a damp crotch. Not wet but damp (no jokes please :evil: )

I remember many moons ago when I was a dispatch rider in London I wore lewis leathers with a waterproof top and over the course of a rainy day I would get wet bits all over.

Even when I owned wax belstaff top and bottoms the same was true.

I am not talking about water comming down the kneck as this is very hard to stop.

So... Do true waterproofs exist. Does anyone own such a thing? or is it just a myth... :-|

By the way my new 'Tucano Urbano' handlebar muffs are lovely and warm (when worn with medium gortex gloves) and are totally bone dry inside. A great buy thus far.

Got to be honest, I have had a couple of weise rubbery rain suits that have been 100% waterproof. It's all a pay off, waterproof is easy if you don't mind being sweaty on the inside cos it doesn't breath.

Have to say tho, my last set of textiles were waterproof, after 3 months, I re nikwaxed them to keep them waterproof, then fell off, so can't say bmuch about longevity of the proofing.

I was reading about staying dry in this months Ride magazine. You may have experienced wet out where the fabric is not leaking water, but it saturated and damp to touch, so you feel wet. As for water on the crotch, stand up on the pegs for a second and any gathering water blows away.

My Weise over trousers and Spada waterproof jacket have been thoroughly tested in the rain and are water proof. But I can get a bit sweaty and again feel damp.

I've got a couple of Belstaff textile jackets that I bought off eBay and a pair of Hein Gericke textile trousers that so far have held up. The ride to the rally earlier this year was bl**dy wet and the Belstaff jacket and Hein Gericke trousers stayed waterproof....my Sidi black rain evo boots let a very small amount of wet in....but my Spada Enforcer gloves were next to useless!! Just bought some SealSkinz motorbike gloves....but not had chance to try them out yet..... 8-)

So....there is waterproof kit available....but it's pot luck if you can find it.... :wink:

A waterproof oversuit will fix it, but i find them a huge hassle.

What's causing the damp, is it sweat, or is water actually getting through, because if it is actually getting through the material, i'd take them back and buy something else. I commute over double that distance and apart from water trying to run down i find textile trousers alone are enough to keep my crotch dry.