Rusty Frame? Then use Hammerite!

I got round to doing a bit on my 1984 Honda VT500 today. Got to be honest its a mess so I am using it as a project to learn about mechanics and I am not too fussed if things don't work out as didn't pay a lot for it. Anyhow I have never used Hammerite before and I wanted to cover some of the rust up on the frame. I bought a tin of smooth black hammerite from the local orange D I Y Store. At 8 quid a tin its not cheap but wow it goes a long way! Hardly looks like I have taken any paint out of it and I am impressed with the job its done on the rusty parts of the frame, looks half decent! So if you have a frame with rust spots and its old and you are not too fussed about whether it looks perfect, I highly recommend it! Ill try add some pics tomorrow. Here's the bike before I stripped it to keep you going! Looks ok from a distance but was rusty up close in parts :cheers:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i200/odloveless/IMG_1629.jpg

NearOn

If you have gone to the trouble of dismantling it, please get it stripped and powder coated! Hammerite is a good stop gap, but is not a permanent fix, rust will come through eventually. Hammeriting is a pretty permanent fix unless it actually gets damaged, and thats pretty hard to do, it's tough stuff!

I've just stripped an fs1m and I inbetween getting it blasted and enamelled or rubbing it down and hammerite

personally on something like that i would get it powder coated it will look 100 times better than brush painting it with anything and not that expensive either

Colored dry powder is electro staticaly charged and fired at an item that is earthed causing it to stick to the item. It's then baked at 180 degrees C for half hour causing the powder to melt. It drys as it cools into a resinous coating. The surface finish is quite good and it's hard wearing.

Okay, looked up powder coating

No way Jose! My bike with the repairs was cheap as hell and so was NearOn's, and not keeping it for that long - no point. Stripping and Hammeriting all the way! Well, when I'm back on my bike again!

:mrgreen:

Completely agree in that situation. If it was a bike I was really passionate about looking good and something I might want to make money on I would have it powder coated. But in truth there's quite a few things wrong with the bike and just doing the odd bit when I have time and with having no garage is proving difficult :( I give it till next April before its gone and I have another fully working Hornet instead :)

Before and after de-rusting pics pleeease! I promise to do it too when I'm able to get to a B&Q and hammerite mine too. So you just rub it down with white spirit then paint it? It may be worth me buying some online and doing it while I'm off sick actually while I have some time to myself :mrgreen: dear god I miss my bike - every time I start her up ({so batt doesn't go flat) I just want to hop on and drive off into the sunset :lol:

Before and after de-rusting pics pleeease! I promise to do it too when I'm able to get to a B&Q and hammerite mine too. So you just rub it down with white spirit then paint it? It may be worth me buying some online and doing it while I'm off sick actually while I have some time to myself :mrgreen: dear god I miss my bike - every time I start her up ({so batt doesn't go flat) I just want to hop on and drive off into the sunset :lol:

I didnt get round to pics after de-rusting it and wont get another chance for a few weeks now. But can safely say looks decent. As long as the area you are painting is clear of flakes and dirt and is generally clean the tin says paint straight onto it. I did not rub it down with anything. Keep an eye out on ebay as someone keeps listing a 1 litre tin of smooth black for 20 including delivery, and that's excellent deal when 250ml is 8 quid in B&Q.

I didnt get round to pics after de-rusting it and wont get another chance for a few weeks now. But can safely say looks decent. As long as the area you are painting is clear of flakes and dirt and is generally clean the tin says paint straight onto it. I did not rub it down with anything. Keep an eye out on ebay as someone keeps listing a 1 litre tin of smooth black for 20 including delivery, and that's excellent deal when 250ml is 8 quid in B&Q.

Awesome, cheers =) :cheers:

Hammerite thinners are extortionate, you are right Steve, but usually I find it easier to buy £1 brushes from wickes or somewhere and just chuck em after 1 use, saves a lot of hassle, and a brush is never the same after hammerite!

I use normal thinners with it, it works fine. That said I use two pack thinners for everything the last few years, it's brilliant lol. I did spray a bed frame with house hold gloss and used 25% two pack thinners and it took 3 days to dry, but the finish is fantastic.

Hammerite thinners are extortionate, you are right Steve, but usually I find it easier to buy £1 brushes from wickes or somewhere and just chuck em after 1 use, saves a lot of hassle, and a brush is never the same after hammerite!

I did exactly that, I could of purchased a higher quality brush and something to clean it with too after but instead went and got some cheap brushes and chucked the one I used away straight after, much easier.

• 4 months later...

We used to ride on the beach in the 60s and lots of people used hammer finish hammerite to protect against the salt and sandblasting effect. Then it had something like silicone in it and after you brushed it on it went all "fisheyed". There was no Smoothrite then. We painted wheels complete to stop spoke threads rusting. It wasn´t posh but very functional.

Wilkinsons once had silver hammerite on special offer, I think it was a mistake ,like 750 instead of 250, so I bought a lot.

I agree Hammerite is a good fix, but it is temporary. I found on my bike I was getting 6 months or so and then needed to recoat. So I ended up removing bits and getting them powder coated. The side stand was £10 and the two passenger peg hangers were £15.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8052/8128050611_3fddb83395_c.jpg