Chain and Sprockets

Sigil

Hi guys been a while since I have posted… Been very busy and have ended up being a bit of a lurker

How hard is it to change the chain and sprockets? Watched a couple of videos and it seems simple enough. Will need to buy a tool to close up the chain but I think everything else I already have.

Is there anything I would need to be extra careful or look out for when doing the job?

If it’s an easy enough job should I just go for an OEM chain or is there better for the money?

The bike is a 02 cbr600f :)

Thanks for any advice in advance :)

DID X ring Gold is the best chain, buy a kit with sprockets. You may need a big socket to remove sprocket nut, a chain splitter/rivetter and spanners to remove rear wheel and sprocket. If accel of your bike is not quick enough for you, buy a 1 tooth smaller front or 2 teeth bigger rear. However you will use more fuel and your speedo may be inaccurate!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's an easy job, especially on a Honda. I have never had too much trouble getting the front sprocket bolt off, just sat on the bike not on the stand, 1st gear and back brake on hard. The front bolt should budge really easy then. Once you have cut the old chain off, lay it out on the ground and lay the new chain next to it. I have changed 3 chains that have turned out to be too long, so had to cut them straight back off again and buy another link!

You will need a chain riveter, they cost around £20 - £30 but they will last forever, but you may need to replace the pins occasionally as they tend to bend with heavy use. I use an angle grinder o grind the rivets off the old chain. I would say first time, probably won't take you more than an hour.

Cheers for the replies guys :)

Will hopefully order the parts this weekend and will look into DID X ring gold ones

Pointblank i have read that your really not meant to have the bike in gear as it can damage the engine? not sure how accurate this information is though

People seem to sugest locking the back wheel with some wood and a towel to stop any scratching and leaving the bike in neutral.

Stu or megawatt you know any more info on this?

With respect mate, that's bollox. Done it loadsa times, but use the wood in wheel method if you want to, both work ok. Can do it on yer own as well. Chain splitter/rivetter usually costs around £50 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

With respect mate, that's bollox. Done it loadsa times, but use the wood in wheel method if you want to, both work ok. Can do it on yer own as well. Chain splitter/rivetter usually costs around £50 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ah that will make the job easier, wasent sure if it was true or not... a lot of rubbish is on the net these days

Ouch £50 more than i thought, would you recommend getting a budget one for £30-40? or is it a false economy

I stand on the footpegs, right foot on the back brake, left foot pushing the breaker bar on the front sprocket nut, back wheel has no chance of moving, and nut comes off easily...

I did one with a mate last year on his bike, I removed the nut with an impact wrench, makes it easy. He did Most of the job as I was rebuilding a gear box but it didn't take him long at all.

I'll be doing mine soon, my chain is manky! That said the whole bike is, the dirt and greese I got off the fairing under the stand and by the chain was 3mm thick :-@

mmmmm

Yes, yes and yes, BUT, they can be seized on. I did my XJ and it was seized solid, back brake didnt touch it, it just turned. The only way was wood through wheel, heat on nut AND someone holding the bike steady.

I did my fazer 2 weeks ago and it came straight off easily.

Just be prepared for a challenge!

I used to remove chain with an angle grinder and fit rivet link with two pairs of mole grips, and two hammers, but I wouldn't recommend that a novice do this. Only ever used a £50 rivetter and can't recommend a cheaper make. :mrgreen:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALEY-VS779- ... 2ebf5f07f2

The link above is the chain riveter I bought a few years back. It's served me well, but I did bend one of the needles when I set it up wrong, but I ordered a replacement for about a fiver. I can't comment on any other makes as this is the only one I have used, though I have used the hammer method before with great success, but it can be fiddly.

As with the damage to engine with the bike in gear, I wouldn't worry about it. It's never caused me any problems, and the nut's not on that tight, it's just a pain as it turns.