If you rent a garage from the council......

Voodoo

Say if you rent a garage from the council and in the agreement it says "The tenant must use the garage only for the purpose of storing a motorised vehicle" and you then go and store a few other items in there. Can the council then enter the garage without your permission and dispose of those items?

Other items include:-

Car tyre

Oil

Car cleaning items

Boots

Cordless Drill

Sander

etc......

I would be very interested in all your opinions.

wouldnt think so..

If anything like a residential letting agreement, they would have to give 24hours notice before entering, and even then, they wouldnt have the right to remove your stuff.

They could issue with a notice to remove the items as its in breach of the lease agreement or terminate the agreement if you faield to comply, but in practice would they bother? its likely just there as a safety clause to prevent people filling garages with crap or dangerous substances etc...

I would ask the council to clarify in writing before signing anything... ;)

I'm thinking of renting a council garage too, anyway, I think, for sure the council couldn't just dispose of a persons property, I'm not sure about the council entering a garage where the rent is upto date as it might be written into the contract, however under the human rights act there is the right to privacy, so unsure :?:

You can keep wtf you like in them unless its stolen, illegal such as a still, or a danger. And to be honest if the rents paid they don't give a fork! My mates had one over a decade and keeps all sorts in it, sometimes even a car ;)

Thanks for the comments, but I think I need to give you all a little bit more info. The new rental agreement was made and signed two years ago, but they forgot to charge the tenant rent and because they had always taken it by direct debit (twice a year) the tenant never noticed he hadn't paid. The tenant has no problem with this and will pay the arrears. The problem is where the tenant comes home one night to find the lock has been changed. The council said they have changed the lock because they thought nobody was renting it (because no money has been collected) and have already re-rented out the garage, but have disposed of all the items in the garage. They have offered the tenant 50% of the cost of the items due to depreciation, but the tenant was honest about the cost and has already taken depreciation into account. Some of the items were also to do with how the tenant makes a living.

Where does he stand?

I used to rent a council garage, and have seen the terms.

It sucks, but unfortunately a council garage is 'technically' for putting a car in. it is made clear in the contract. I am not saying we don't put other things in, but we don't have a leg to stand on and it is made clear before we take out a garage.

Thanks for the comments, but I think I need to give you all a little bit more info. The new rental agreement was made and signed two years ago, but they forgot to charge the tenant rent and because they had always taken it by direct debit (twice a year) the tenant never noticed he hadn't paid. The tenant has no problem with this and will pay the arrears. The problem is where the tenant comes home one night to find the lock has been changed. The council said they have changed the lock because they thought nobody was renting it (because no money has been collected) and have already re-rented out the garage, but have disposed of all the items in the garage. They have offered the tenant 50% of the cost of the items due to depreciation, but the tenant was honest about the cost and has already taken depreciation into account. Some of the items were also to do with how the tenant makes a living.

Where does he stand?

Its the tenants responsibility to pay rent. Hows he gone two years and not noticed that he's not paid any rent???

I would say that if the rental agreements stated nothing other than a car can be stored there, yet the council are still willing to give him cash for items he wasn't supposed to be storing, hes getting a good deal..

Tough lesson to learn, but if your tools are your livelihood, you need to take care of them, and that includes ensuring you keep your rent payments for their storage up to date :(

However, the council have failed to make contact with him to notify him of rent arrears, or that they are going to evict him. There is likely some failing on their part too, which is why they are being generous with a cash settlement for something they are not contractually bound to do... Legal advice needed i reckon!!