You see a speed trap, do you....

Throttled

<t>Do you warn other motorists of speed traps?</t>  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you warn other motorists of speed traps?

• Yes
    • No

I went through a speed trap today, the cop did not even bother to raise the hand held radar as I went past doing about 15mph in a 20mph zone I know well and agree with anyway.

No one was coming the other way for me to warn, but I don't warn others anyway. What do you do?

The other side of the coin is that I have not been saved from a speed trap by another motorist as I really try to be careful and so far so good.

I try and warn other bikers but not car drivers.

However, up at Lancaster Uni there was a road between the Uni & town where the cops often had a mobile camera set up just around a bend, so from one direction you couldn't see it till it was too late. I did exploit this one two occasions, both time I had a car load of chavs sat at the lights a little bit before this bend, revving their car, looking for a race. Both times I pulled away from them at the lights very quickly, but stopped at 40mph (speed limit), chav races past to prove their superiority, rounds bend, gets caught speeding.

Wow what a nice bunch, makes you proud to be a biker :roll: i will warn anyone regardless of what they drive (except taxis ) as i have been warned by bikes and cars alike.

Police use underhand tactics to police the ridiculous draconian limits of this fair land so we should warn others.

Oh and i cant think of any reason out of estates to have a 20 limit.

Completely depends on the situation, I have had 2 in the last few months and I warned in one and giggled in the other.

1, Driving along in a built up area which is a 30 for a good reason, tool driving towards me overtakes another car (the other car he overtook looked to be doing about the 30) and accelerates up to at least 50 as he crosses lazily back onto his side of the road and while he did not cause me to brake, I did have to come off the throttle and mutter some unkind words as well as realising that there is a fixed speed camera he is just about to go through way too fast.

2, 50 MPH limit road which used to be a 60, and has no logical reason to have been dropped to 50. Mostly bendy road with no overtake opportunities apart from one straight uphill bit where it is nice and wide and you can get past lorries doing 40 to make some progress. Mobile van often stops at the top of this hill and catches people accelerating to a safe overtake speed. If the van is there I always warn people coming up to the bottom of the hill.

I've been warned many times in the past by cars and bikes, and on a couple of occasions I'm sure it's saved me from getting a ticket, so I think it's only fair that I reciprocate with a warning :thumb:

I don't warn others.

I'd consider it in a national, depending on the situation. I would never even consider it in a 30. Round here more people speed in 30's than don't (plenty of those won't think twice about over taking you even in built up areas with schools/kids play areas... don't get me started on the amount of them that have 'kids on board stickers' in the windows :evil: ), not that they need to be warned anyway as there is never ever anyone there to catch them.

ride past in a really low gear so making lots of noise to confuse the copper into thinking im going 1000mph. :lol:

yep i notify anyone i can, also often post speed traps on Twitter too, local community here appreciate it :)

Be careful warning other drivers it is actually an offence, someone ended I court for it.

Bit petty if you ask me!

I'll have to google it and see if I can find the news report.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... fined.html

Obstructing the Police in the course of their duties.

The funny thing is, the official line on speed traps is that they are not there to catch and prosecute speeders, they are there to slow people down and make the roads safer, that's why they publicise where they will be and they have warning signs up all the way along roads where they might be.

By flashing your lights, you are also slowing people down and so assisting in the stated aim of speed cameras. They can still nick you for it if they want though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343959/Driver-flashed-headlights-warn-motorists-speed-trap-fined.html

Obstructing the Police in the course of their duties.

The funny thing is, the official line on speed traps is that they are not there to catch and prosecute speeders, they are there to slow people down and make the roads safer, that's why they publicise where they will be and they have warning signs up all the way along roads where they might be.

By flashing your lights, you are also slowing people down and so assisting in the stated aim of speed cameras. They can still nick you for it if they want though.

So where do they draw the line?? I would argue that every Sat-Nav manufacture who shows locations of speed traps is also breaking the law, as are the police themselves who publish the locations on the internet. or do they deem electronic means of notification to be acceptable?? surely lights are electronic too... i reckon with a better legal team (ie not himself!) he could have got off that charge pretty easily, and embarrassed the CPS for bringing it to court in the first place!

truly amazing that many bikers moan when they don't get a "nod" from a passing biker, yet from the results of this pole it seem most wont warn passing bikers that they are riding into a money grabbing speed trap!! Double standards???

Not double standards. I drive all day and stick to the limit rigidly in a 20/30, or just under in a national. The standard of driving is SO bad everywhere, and when you see it all day long it just annoys you how ignorant people can be. Sorry, but I don't get the 'sneaky' argument? If you are worried about sneaky road traps, don't speed. Simple.

I don't claim to never speed, and I am not being hypocritical, if I am out on the bike for a bit of fun, I will ride to what I feel safe, BUT I take full responsibility for getting a ticket, it's no one else's fault. If I can't see round a corner, I shouldn't be going fast round it should I? I am not going to moan about it if I get a ticket, as I could have avoided it by not speeding. it is MY choice.

All the comments about good drivers/riders going at what is a 'safe' speed, are true, but good drivers/riders are in a vast minority! I think the need for enforcement of the complete cocks probably outweighs our need for a bit of fun. If the mental cripples slow down a bit, it makes it safer for us when we do go out for a responsible ride.

nothing is sneaky with good observations :wink:

if you cant see a bright van with a camera hanging out the rear window or a copper in high vis then you shouldn't be driving and deserve to get caught

i will warn other bikers but the car drivers can piss right off :mrgreen:

The ones I saw were not in hi viz, there was no warning, no car nearby I could see. I am also sure one was a sergeant the other was definitely an Inspector, which is odd.

My attitude is that with reasonable observations people should not be caught. Those who complain about cameras being money makers are just looking to excuse their own behaviour as if they had done nothing wrong.

That is the whole point, if I am driving at the speed limit, I don't care if they are hanging out of a tree in camo, they are not going to catch me as I am not doing anything wrong. I get sick of people bleating about speed traps as if they have some legitimate reason to break the speed limit. Most of us like to get a bit 'fresh' with the limit as bikers, I am not saying don't do it, I am just saying don't complain about getting caught!

A copper with a speed gun and no high vis? I'm pretty sure they have to wear one

I'm sure theres someone on here in the job that can clarify it!

edit

Police guidelines for speed monitoring state that all sites must have camera warning signs to notify drivers, officers must wear high-visibility clothing, the bikes or vans must be marked and all sites are published on the Safety Camera Partnership website

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/956 ... __sneaky_/