You see a speed trap, do you....

Throttled

<t>Do you warn other motorists of speed traps?</t>  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you warn other motorists of speed traps?

• Yes
    • No

nothing is sneaky with good observations :wink:

if you cant see a bright van with a camera hanging out the rear window or a copper in high vis then you shouldn't be driving and deserve to get caught

i will warn other bikers but the car drivers can piss right off :mrgreen:

what about Brunstrom's Horsebox with a speed camera hidden inside? I have heard rumour's they've brought it back again :lol:

Car drivers always let me know about speedtraps ahead so I have no problem doing the same for them :)

A copper with a speed gun and no high vis? I'm pretty sure they have to wear one

I'm sure theres someone on here in the job that can clarify it!

edit

Police guidelines for speed monitoring state that all sites must have camera warning signs to notify drivers, officers must wear high-visibility clothing, the bikes or vans must be marked and all sites are published on the Safety Camera Partnership website

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/956 ... __sneaky_/

I saw two cops not in hi viz with no signs or sign of a marked car in Belfast. It was a 70mph dual carriageway that turned into a 30mph limit where the houses started. They were stood in front of a big advertising hording and I only saw them as I was entering the 30mph limit. The road was so straight it would be easy to stop cars and safe. Just as it was with the little village in Fife.

I think the hi viz and signs etc as an officer safety requirement not the law. So if it is safe not to use them, so be it. The bottom line was in Belfast I could see the change of speed limit and houses start from a long way way away and the village in Fife is clearly marked 20mph with narrow streets and houses right on the narrow pavement.

So those who claim the police are being sneaky, what more warning do you need of a speed limit?

Wow lots of lolz on this thread, its not that we think we have a legitimate right to break the speed limit if the speed limits set were not in alot of cases set low,how can a road be safe one day at 60 and dangerous at 50 the next ridiculous, wonder how many on here would not bat an eyelid at a blanket 10mph limit after all we dont have a legitimate right to break it!

I maintain as most of us drive cars as well as ride you dont warn others your just being selfish.

Oh and by breaking the limit i dont mean going balistic everywhere.

Ho about this for a proposal....

Two sets of speed limits!!

The current speed limits for the people who cant drive, and no speed limits for people who drive regularly and who have proven to be safe by combination of regular mileage covered, accident free and advanced driving tests etc etc.. and who pay a premium per year for de-restricted entitlement (money earner to keep the government happy)

Unrestricted drivers then required to have "black box" fitted, and in the event of an accident, if speed is deemed to be the main contributing factor and they are driving over the limit, they lose their de-restricted licences (for 12 months) as they have proved they are not yet worthy!

Obviously needs some further thought and fine tuning, but i would gladly pay (say £500 per year) to be allowed to drive at whatever speed i deemed suitable for the situation!

Never complained when I've been caught, I see it as more of a game but then I have plenty of places to get well out of the way where traffic is light and best of all police are pretty much non existent, but that's not the topic here informing others is, and I will maintain that letting people know imo is the right thing to do as it's how I'd like to be treat/treated.

I have also spent time religiously adhering to speed limits just after passing my test as there was some confusion even from the coppers as to the 6 point/2 year rule and it was terrifying, looking at your speed running round with all the terrified shit drivers etc much better to just roll around reacting to conditions and if that means straying over the limit better a few points etc than dead.

Techno, I kind of agree with you, despite what I have said to the contrary. I suppose my thinking is if I saw someone like you I would want to warn you, but I don't want to warn the complete cocks out there that deserve to get caught cos they are driving like numpties! The problem is, how do you tell? So I suppose it is an easy way out to think that if someone is not driving like a numpty they won't need warning as they will be able to see the camera or not going too fast.

Actually my biggest bugbear is the whole 'prosecuting for warning drivers' thing. I would go mental if they tried that one with me!

Why were you flashing your lights?, well Hofficer, I was warning the other driver of my presence as he appeared to be driving a bit fast and I as worried he was going to hit me!

I think you were warning him about the camera!

yeah? prove it in court!

I have issues with the way the legal system is going in this country, too many knee jerk reactions making it into law, pushed through by ministers that have no idea what they are talking about.. Good example? I get a ticket in the post, I am meant to admit who was driving the vehicle at the time. Why? I am innocent until proven otherwise by the legal system, and that is the fundamental basis of how our system works. You can now be legally prosecuted for 'not admitting to a crime' which is way more of a change to our legal system than any of the terrorism stuff people are annoyed about. That is another one I would fight all the way in court!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/tankbag/lakeway-resident-fights-against-speed-traps-28894_1.jpghttp://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/tankbag/speed_trap_537214e.jpghttp://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/tankbag/speedtrap_warning.jpghttp://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/tankbag/speedtrap.jpghttp://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa3/tankbag/SpeedTrap_thumb1.png

On that we can agree, isn't there something about incriminating yourself.?

Its the "fifth amendment" in US constitutional law.

The Fifth Amendment protects witnesses from being forced to incriminate themselves. To "plead the Fifth" is to refuse to answer a question because the response could provide self-incriminating evidence of an illegal act punishable by fines, penalties or forfeiture.

in the UK we have the "Privilege against self incrimination", and "The right to remain silent"... so if stopped for flashing other road users, keep your mouth shut! they cant beyond reasonable doubt (required for conviction) prove that you were attempting to warn other motorists of the speed trap... you could have accidentally flashed the lights - maybe you were trying to operate the window squirters... ;)

On that we can agree, isn't there something about incriminating yourself.?

Its the "fifth amendment" in US constitutional law.

The Fifth Amendment protects witnesses from being forced to incriminate themselves. To "plead the Fifth" is to refuse to answer a question because the response could provide self-incriminating evidence of an illegal act punishable by fines, penalties or forfeiture.

in the UK we have the "Privilege against self incrimination", and "The right to remain silent"... so if stopped for flashing other road users, keep your mouth shut! they cant beyond reasonable doubt (required for conviction) prove that you were attempting to warn other motorists of the speed trap... you could have accidentally flashed the lights - maybe you were trying to operate the window squirters... ;)

Could be tricky if I'm wearing my bright orange Speed Trap Ahead.org Tee shirt :wink:

nothing is sneaky with good observations :wink:

if you cant see a bright van with a camera hanging out the rear window or a copper in high vis then you shouldn't be driving and deserve to get caught

i will warn other bikers but the car drivers can piss right off :mrgreen:

and bus drivers can piss off :up:

:lol:

Bus drivers can go to hell! The most dangerous, inconsiderate, bully boy arse holes to sit behind a wheel! The times I have almost been killed by them on my push bike is unreal, they just don't care. Only upside is dragging one around the isle on a full bus makes you feel a LOT better after he causes a SMIDSY and drives off only to be caught at the next red light lol.

Bus drivers can go to hell! The most dangerous, inconsiderate, bully boy arse holes to sit behind a wheel! The times I have almost been killed by them on my push bike is unreal, they just don't care. Only upside is dragging one around the isle on a full bus makes you feel a LOT better after he causes a SMIDSY and drives off only to be caught at the next red light lol.

Steady!!

Don't tar them all with the same brush! As we could all do that about cyclists ;-)

Btw I ride Sunday rides with a few clubs from time to time and I must say a lot of cyclists are bloody idiots! I'm a big cyclist, 2-300 miles a week is common, but above all I'm a person and use my discretion when in public. Cyclists are legally allowed to ride two abreast and a car or bike overtaking should by law cross the white line the same as you would to over take a car, (some cars barely bother moving over!!), but on a fast road, busy road, narrow road, road with parked cars etc I always make the call 'single out'. So many in the peleton don't bother tho and will even ride 3 and 4 abreast. Where we are in a country lane and there is only room for a single track a peleton can hold a car at 20-25mph for 2 miles and they don't have the courtesy to single out. OK by law a peleton doesn't have to give way, but it's polite IMHO!

So yes, cyclists and motor bikes are some times just as bad.

so you have had a bad experience with a lot of bus drivers? but how many are there in the uk? bit of a big generalisation really!!!

I have had a lot of bad experience with cyclists but there ya go oh and mainly while at work driving my bus :wink:

So it's you is it :lol:

I know it's a small percentage of bus drivers but out of my many near 'being crushed to death' experiences, the large majority of them are from busses. The drivers even look in your eyes and still pull out of a junction into your path. OK SMIDSY is bad enough, but I can't forgive 'I saw you but don't give a shit'.

Sure we all make the mistake of generalizing but no offense intended, I'm sure you're not one of the grumpy old f**kers that I have almost been squashed by lmao.

Can I have a go at lorry drivers now please :-D lane changing in front of you making you slam on at the last moment! Lorries and motor ways grrrrrrr.

I await a lorry drivers reply hahahaha.

Btw I ride Sunday rides with a few clubs from time to time and I must say a lot of cyclists are bloody idiots! I'm a big cyclist, 2-300 miles a week is common, but above all I'm a person and use my discretion when in public. Cyclists are legally allowed to ride two abreast and a car or bike overtaking should by law cross the white line the same as you would to over take a car, (some cars barely bother moving over!!), but on a fast road, busy road, narrow road, road with parked cars etc I always make the call 'single out'. So many in the peleton don't bother tho and will even ride 3 and 4 abreast. Where we are in a country lane and there is only room for a single track a peleton can hold a car at 20-25mph for 2 miles and they don't have the courtesy to single out. OK by law a peleton doesn't have to give way, but it's polite IMHO!

So yes, cyclists and motor bikes are some times just as bad.

Peloton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

For other uses, see Peloton (disambiguation).

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (April 2010)

The peloton during the 2005 Tour de France. Clustering of the teams is apparent.

The peloton (from French, meaning little ball or platoon and related to the English word pellet), field, bunch or pack is the main group of riders in a road bicycle race. Riders in a group save energy by riding close (drafting or slipstreaming) near (particularly behind) other riders. The reduction in drag is dramatic; in the middle of a well-developed group it can be as much as 40%.[1]

Aren't the 4 abreast tactics a bit energy inefficient though

Yeah but after 120 miles and a face full of cake most of us just want to talk and ride lol. It's a leisure ride not a race the traditional Sunday morning club run. You can do double thru and off 4 abreast tho that's very efficient.

Edit to say double thru and off I only do on track/velo.