wont turn over

Guest lukebolger

Also, when its in gear and I pull the clutch in, it wont move, like the clutch isnt working? Or is that how its supposed to be?

Going to give the battery a charge and see if that helps

Its Cold! oil will be very thick and viscos hense the sticking clutch. Not sure if the starter motor is a pre engage unit, but you could try rocking the bike backward and forwards in gear to try and break the tightness. Starter motors and batterys get a hell of a hammering turning over cold motors.

hi,

just went to start my gpz 500 and the starter motor is going but the engine isn't turning over

any ideas??

[if its been sat]

Is fuel getting through to the spark plugs? Try and start it a few times, then take the spark plug out and see if there is a trace of fresh petrol in there

Spark plug - is it firing? Black? - clean it/replace it, but i doubt its the plugs

are the HT leads worn?

Is the battery flat? - we will find out once you have charged it lol

was it working ok before?

As for it not changing gear, has the bike been sat for months?

I know with my bike, it will only change gear once the engine is running, but it will go into neutral alright

hi,

just went to start my gpz 500 and the starter motor is going but the engine isn't turning over

any ideas??

[if its been sat]

Is fuel getting through to the spark plugs? Try and start it a few times, then take the spark plug out and see if there is a trace of fresh petrol in there

Spark plug - is it firing? Black? - clean it/replace it, but i doubt its the plugs

are the HT leads worn?

Is the battery flat? - we will find out once you have charged it lol

was it working ok before?

As for it not changing gear, has the bike been sat for months?

I know with my bike, it will only change gear once the engine is running, but it will go into neutral alright

It's my old bike that Luke just bought. Fuel and sparks are good. It will be a sticky bendix. I have already suggested the rocking back and forth. She has not been ridden for about 3 weeks but was started the day before collection so she should not be too jammed up.

Used to be a squirt of wd and a tap with a toffee hammer when the bendix got stuck on the reliant. the bendix is a centrifugal device on the starter motor. The spinning of the starter motor throws it in to engage and turn the engine. You may have a weak battery that's not spinning it hard enough to throw it in. Or it may be full of crud and salt making it stick. I'm not sure where it is on this bike. If you can see it then a squirt and a tap. A tap mind, no clouting it.

Ill ask the guys on the ex-500 forum where it is, because, (ill just say it) I am not very mechanically profficient! So It will be good to learn!

I did give the starter motor itself a whack with a massive hammer and block of wood!

No result - just the starter happily turning but not engaging!

Ive read that it could be the starter clutch?

It seem that your bike has a clutch assembly driving a sprocket and small drive chain. If the starter motor is turning suspect the starter clutch drive assembly has failed. Get yourself an Haynes manual and find out how and what needed to make a repair, or take it to the garage. Best of luck

PS

That is for the 1989 500, but Weebl said the engine may have been a newer replacement

So should I check the serial number against the manual to make sure what engine year it is - or does the year apply to the chassis?

For sure make sure you give your engine number when ordering parts. You will need a good tool kit to do this work. Set your stall out take your time have a good read of the manual and dont take any short cuts. But get some quotes first you never know you might get lucky

It's definitely the later engine out of the mark 2 mate, and like I said, I can only apologise for the hassle you are having, she always started on the button for me. :(

I also think you should name and shame the courier company, the more I think about our last conversation the more annoyed I am getting. I would push them for compensation. The pictures in the ad were very recent and she was in exactly that condition when he wheeled her into the van!

Mine has a starter clutch. A real pain. They don't give much warning before they wear out. I'm on my third. Mind the bike is 19 this year and 60k mile on it. I wouldn't advise a novice to tackle mine. Not a problem for someone used to spannering. I don't know how yours is. You're lucky there's a repair kit at that price. The last time I did mine 3 or 4 years back. Part cost £150.

Bendix :roll: Why's it called a bendix anyhow?

what's a Bendix ?

there isn't a bendix on a bike

its the spiral section on a starter motor that pushes the starter cog into mesh with the flywheel teeth

it was used on older cars, like over 20 years ago