Snow Tyres for the car..

Joeman

I bought some snow tyres for my car today - made a huge difference!! the difference in grip between proper winter tyres and the tyres i had on there is incredible - I've been out all afternoon looking for snowy hills to drive up and not found one i cant now climb!!

On one hill I casually drove past some pretty bemused looking pedestrians who looked amased when they had to get out of the road (on their sledges) to let me pass as they presumable didnt think i would make it up the hill!!

Its one thing those crazy Europeans do right - they have two sets of tyres, one set for summer and one set for winter... Im a convert now, wont catch me driving about in the Winter on summer tyres again!!

20130121_123943.jpg

We have to have them by law. End of October to end of March. Life carries on as normal throughout the winter. Occasionaly have to put chains on our Mini Bus due to the amount of snow we get up here but our little Dihatsu Sirion has never needed them.

They wear down quickly when the weather warms up though.

The wear is the issue, if they didn't wear so fast I would just use them on my car as they are fine in the dry too, but a second set of tyres, in this country? really? for 1 weeks use a year? I don't think it's worth the outlay and the hassle of keeping a second set of wheels and tyres stashed!

I used to keep a set of road tyres and a set of mud pluggas for my landrovers, and it works, but changing them over is a pita!

Do they make much difference to fuel consumption?

I've never been convinced our weather is cold enough to warrant them (apart from ATM :roll: )

Well they are supposed to come into their own below 7degrees Celsius, so depends where you live but here in Kent we get snow every year and some pretty cold temperatures!!

Also, I just had a quick look on Wikipedia and surprised to see that Englands average cold temp is below 7degress from October through to May!!

with only June to Sept having average coldest temp above 7degreess!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of ... ed_Kingdom

Apparently, winter tyres have a higher Silica content than summer tyres which keeps them soft and pliable at colder temperatures, whereas summer tyres go hard and lose grip.

Even on clear roads today, the difference in grip was noticeable. before i had them fitted i did some brake tests, stamping the stop pedal to see how easy it was to get the ABS to kick in. I then tried with the new winter tyres, and the grip level were a lot higher with ABS much harder to tigger.

I then went and searched for snow to drive through and they were great - no problems climbing hills on uncleared, un-gritted roads...

Im converted!! :cheers:

The wear is the issue, if they didn't wear so fast I would just use them on my car as they are fine in the dry too, but a second set of tyres, in this country? really? for 1 weeks use a year? I don't think it's worth the outlay and the hassle of keeping a second set of wheels and tyres stashed!

I used to keep a set of road tyres and a set of mud pluggas for my landrovers, and it works, but changing them over is a pita!

Well i had 19 inch low profile Pirelli P-Zeros on my car this morning, and it was slipping and sliding on the roads like a drunk penguin!

I changed them for 18" Hankook "icept Evos" and its now rock solid - no slipping and able to climb snow covered hills with ease 8-)

The difference in grip levels is truly is amasing!!

As for the cost, two sets of tyres used for 50% of the year means each set of tyres doe 50% less mileage so should wear 50% slower... apart from the initial outlay on wheels and tyres, the cost should balance out.

As for storage, the summer wheels are stacked up in the garage they dont take much space, and wont take long to switch back onto the car in the spring - not really much hassle for phenomenally increased levels of winter grip

Back in the day (90's) people used to say running wet race tyres was the best possible for the winter, reckoned you could 'get yer knee down' (apparently) in the wet.

Never tried it myself but it makes sense.

And now in the 10's we have PR3's :)

Which from personal experience got a childs pinky width away from the edge. So I'm sure others could get their knee down.

Also winter tyres are a beautiful thing!

Spare set of alloys on the car,

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8195/8405107608_85a108ccf4.jpg

Before I get the girls car comments, gf owned this before I met her. I just bought into half of it :lol:

I've never understood the use of low profile tyres for general road use. What's the advantage, taking into consideration their apparent poor performance in adverse weather conditions?

Its not the profile that's the problem, its the tyre compound and tread patterns.

My new winter tyres are low profile (45 profile) tyres.

Trouble with summer tyres is that they are designed to work warm. At cold temps they go hard and grip levels drop off.

Also tread pattern on summer tyres is designed for quiet running, high mileage, fuel efficient driving. Winter types Sacrifice some roadnoise and mpg for rubber that works at low temps, tread pattern that works better on water and snow.

Snow tyres are great in snow and winter yes, as for these claims of being good in the summer too :-o wtf? They aren't known as ditch finders for nothing! In warm weather they become a liability and cause a number of accidents each year, imported cars commonly land on British soil wearing snow rubber and having owned a few such imports as well as UK cars with a second set of snow rubber I wouldn't ever use winter tyres on summer roads, cool dry roads are dangerous enough never mind warm roads.

Tht said the average car driver 'thinks' he's a budding F1 driver when in reality they couldn't Ballance a cars grip if their life depended on it. I am useless on a bike ATM but fairly skilled in a cage lol.

Most snow tyres end up on cheap drift cars because they make a lot of smoke and slide easily, perfect for learner drifters, you can also buy a set for 50p during the summer.

I've got tyres on the rear that were on when I bought the box 80k miles ago. The fronts are mismatched part worns. Never had a problem. Just driven round two stuck cars spinning their wheels in six inch of snow up my front street. Parked up and went back to them and pushed them out. With a little voluble instruction.

A little less pressure for the winter helps and if you get stuck in the snow drop the pressures to as little as 10lbs /sq" on the drive wheels. It increases the footprint. You'll need to reinflate as soon as you're out.

Yipes look at me discussing car tyres in pitstop on a bike forumhttp://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Colin_the_bear/smiley-whacky110.gif

Lowering the tyre pressure causes side wall and tread flex that in turn removes the snow from the tread enabling grip that's why it works, a larger area is undesirable in the snow as it prevents the drive wheels from cutting thru the snow, it's corner weight you need inthe wet and snow, surface area in the dry :8

Lowering the tyre pressure causes side wall and tread flex that in turn removes the snow from the tread enabling grip that's why it works, a larger area is undesirable in the snow as it prevents the drive wheels from cutting thru the snow, it's corner weight you need inthe wet and snow, surface area in the dry :8

That's not strictly true, I have spent years trialling landies in the snow and the mud. Rally cars have narrow tyres to cut through, but they are spinning up their wheels cos of the power, most snow tyres for normal vehicles are not designed to cut through to underneath the snow, they are designed to compress it without moving it and grip on the surface of it. Wide tyres WITH TREAD work very well in the snow if driven correctly. Once the top surface of the snow is dislodged from what's underneath you got no chance.

Gently gently catchee monkey in this case.

I've never understood the use of low profile tyres for general road use. What's the advantage, taking into consideration their apparent poor performance in adverse weather conditions?

they flex less and grip more so faster cornering in general

they flex less and grip more so faster cornering in general

Slightly off topic, but I always laugh my head off when I see BRS (boy racer skips) with rubber bands on that are massive, normally cheap shite alloys that will bend the first pothole they see, and the original discs and calipers underneath. A simple understanding of physics tells you that if you make the outer diameter of the tyre/wheel combo bigger, but do not make the discs bigger you have lost a fairly hefty percentage of braking force.

On a track car-yes, on your mums 1.1 corsa-NO. FAIL FAIL FAIL! :booty: