SV650S 04 Troubles...

Boblog12

Hi All,

Anyone any ideas what the problem could be...? please see below!

My SV650s decides to lose the revs and cut out when im dropping down through the gears - crawling along on the motorway proved very scary as i ahve to continually restart the bike - thank god for queues!!!

every now and again it wont start and flashes a Fl symbol on my control panel, then starts fine just after i turn the key off and on again...

when it does cut out, or gets near to cutting out, it feels very sluggish and struggles to pick up the revs, then cuts out and takes a lot of revving to get it started again. its had a new battery and no recent problems, then this started!! i have bought oxford heated gloves and run these off the battery, but the bike has cut out when im not even using these

HELP PLEASE!!! :(

thanks in advance!

What year is the bike?

If its carbs then it could be carb icing but then that wouldn't explain the fi light which suggests it fuel injected

You should have a diagnostic plug somewhere that you can short out to read the error code it will show on the dash but you need to do it when fi comes on without turning the bike off

Sorry Bob, can't help with the error code.......but maybe check that the fuel tank breather isn't blocked......sounds a bit like fuel starvation.... :) When it stops try opening the filler cap quickly and see if there some suction there.....which could indicate a vacuum forming in the tank due to insufficient air getting in via the breather...... :wink:

Or buy a Triumph.....you can then hook a laptop up to it via a £10 cable off eBay and a free program called TuneECU and look at the error codes..... :wink:

No they aren't stored in the ECU....well they are until you turn the ignition off then they disappear so when it does it you need to put it in dealer mode which on the sv I dont know how to do YET on mine there is a multi plug under the seat and you just put a bit of wire between the two pins and thats it its in dealer mode

Forget everything everyone has said you need to findnout the code first otherwise your pissing in the wind

It might be a sensor going down or a loose side stand switch

Trust me I know these injection systems inside out as I have owned a Suzuki injected bike for 7 years ok its not the same bike but its the same system ;-)

Get it to a dealer and tell them all this!

Either do the diagnostics at home, which I dont think is that hard or ask a dealer to do it for you :)

It is an injection system on the K4 and if the FI light is coming on it will usually log a fault.

What is annoying is a mate of mine had this issue. It bogged down and cut out, it was a mixture of a weak battery and the air filter was caked up. But it only did it when it got to motorway speeds, bogged down and then cut out.

Though on this one I would trust Stu, hes got the expertise as he has the big brother to this bike! :lol:

Always problems with them Suzukis :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

A guy from RAC had a play with it and thinks its the ecu, as you can hear the fuel pump prime when it works ok, then you hear nothing with the fi light flashin. We played around testin the fuel pump switch for correct earthin and even put a direct earth into the system to test it, an he reckons its whatever in the ecu that controls the earth for the fuel pump- maybe a loose connection or somethin? Is an ecu easy to swap out and replace if I get the parts? Cheers again for the help!

Could be the Fuel pump itself on the blink........dunno if there's any way of testing it......gotta say that I'm not aware of ECU's themselves giving a lot of trouble.....but I could be wrong....... :wink:

ECU itself is normally pretty easy to change as it just plugs in.....the only problem you may have is making sure it has the correct map in there for your bike...... :roll:

Should've bought a Triumph.....could've done all that yourself via some free software.....and even turned the pump on and off in the diagnostic mode...... :wink:

Anyway....I'd be looking at some way of checking the fuel pump if I were you...... 8-)

did you read the code like I said when you had the problem??

if the fuel pump isnt priming when it should that can be a number of things from the gear position sensor to the side stand switch

without that code you are pissing in the wind

did you read the code like I said when you had the problem??

if the fuel pump isnt priming when it should that can be a number of things from the gear position sensor to the side stand switch

without that code you are pissing in the wind

well i hope the wind is blowing your way and not this way :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

ECU's dont often pack up and can be expensive I would still get the fault code to make sure before spending money, you could just run it down to your dealer if you can, and get them to give you the code reading if you can not get the gear to do it yourself ? I am sure it will be cheaper in the long run rather than guessing

Keith