Counterpart for EU licence holders: rejected!!

Hi guys, not sure if you could help with this. I try.

I want to do my CBT, but since I am an EU Driving Lincence holder, in order to get the GB counterpart required for the training I filled the D9 form and sent it over to DVLA. Please note that the D9 form states: 'Application for a driving licence counterpart for non-GB licence holders. THIS FORM APPLIES ONLY TO EU LICENCE HOLDERS.'

Fine. I completed this form, sent it to DVLA (together with my EU driving lincence), and after 13 days I got it back, with this letter:

"Dear Mr. ABC

Thank you... bla bla bla.

GB driving licence counterparts can only be issued under the following circumstances:

1. If the driver holds an EU driving licence and is required to register their Vocational entilement;

2. If the driver holds an EU driving licence and wishes to sit a GB driving test with the DSA.

As neither of the above circumstances applies to you, I regret that we are unable to issue with a GB licence counterpart.

If you require a GB driving licence counterpart then you can exchange your Italian driving licence for a GB driving licence by completing the enclosed form (D1) and return them with the relevant documentation, photograph and fee.

"

Guys, I am confused. I've been told by one of the biggest CBT providers in london to fill the D9 form and get the counterpart, easy job, and these people now are rejecting it. In the first place, I don't understand HOW did they assume that I don't wish to sit a GB test with the DSA???

Any help/explanation would be much appreciated.

Thanks folks!

Gio

Hi guys, not sure if you could help with this. I try.

I want to do my CBT, but since I am an EU Driving Lincence holder, in order to get the GB counterpart required for the training I filled the D9 form and sent it over to DVLA. Please note that the D9 form states: 'Application for a driving licence counterpart for non-GB licence holders. THIS FORM APPLIES ONLY TO EU LICENCE HOLDERS.'

Fine. I completed this form, sent it to DVLA (together with my EU driving lincence), and after 13 days I got it back, with this letter:

"Dear Mr. ABC

Thank you... bla bla bla.

GB driving licence counterparts can only be issued under the following circumstances:

1. If the driver holds an EU driving licence and is required to register their Vocational entilement;

2. If the driver holds an EU driving licence and wishes to sit a GB driving test with the DSA.

As neither of the above circumstances applies to you, I regret that we are unable to issue with a GB licence counterpart.

If you require a GB driving licence counterpart then you can exchange your Italian driving licence for a GB driving licence by completing the enclosed form (D1) and return them with the relevant documentation, photograph and fee.

"

Guys, I am confused. I've been told by one of the biggest CBT providers in london to fill the D9 form and get the counterpart, easy job, and these people now are rejecting it. In the first place, I don't understand HOW did they assume that I don't wish to sit a GB test with the DSA???

Any help/explanation would be much appreciated.

Thanks folks!

Gio

why dont you just put on form that your intention is to take a DSA TEST?

why dont you just put on form that your intention is to take a DSA TEST?

whell the thing is: in the D9 form, there is no such an option. All it is required is to cross the relevant provisional entitlement to drive, then put in it personal details (name, address and so on), signature. End of.

Take a photocopy of the letter (things have a tendency to conveniently go missing or be mislaid :wink: )

Send letter back with and explanation that you intend to take the test with the DSA

Or

Phone them if you have a phone number and explain :wink:

Hope you get it sorted

:cheers:

• 9 months later...

So.....if you complete the cbt there is no entitlement added to your license? If that's the case then does it matter what license you hold? Do you get a certificate on completing the cbt.....which you need to present when applying for das or a2? Can't get to grips with the new license laws...... :?

So.....if you complete the cbt there is no entitlement added to your license? If that's the case then does it matter what license you hold? Do you get a certificate on completing the cbt.....which you need to present when applying for das or a2? Can't get to grips with the new license laws...... :?

It's not added to your licence.

Once you have completed Compulsory Basic Training you get a separate certificate which must be produced alongside your photocard and paper counterpart when presenting yourself for test as the certificate validates the entitlement on your paper counterpart.

CBT trainers will need to see your paper counterpart in order to check that you have the provisional entitlement before they can take you on the road.

The CBT is not a DSA Test

The CBT is not a TEST, and the training is not conducted BY the DSA

We're splitting hairs, aren't we? It's a DSA approved process which can only be carried out by certified DSA approved instructors.

Safe to say, the DSA has something to do with it and in this instance he wants to complete a prerequisite for DSA testing.

We're splitting hairs, aren't we? It's a DSA approved process which can only be carried out by certified DSA approved instructors.

Safe to say, the DSA has something to do with it and in this instance he wants to complete a prerequisite for DSA testing.

CBT's are on the whole delivered by trainers that have been down trained by those authorised to run a training company (ATB's) so they are not even DSA approved let alone DSA examiners

I think the issue is that whilst a full EU entitlement is transferable to other member states provisional entitlements are not.

If your a resident in the UK the EU licence can be exchanged for a GB licence which comes with the counterpart if you are a visitor in the UK you would need to go back to your resident Country and obtain a full entitlement to ride a motorcycle which you could then use in the UK

CBT's are on the whole delivered by trainers that have been down trained by those authorised to run a training company (ATB's) so they are not even DSA approved let alone DSA examiners

So you get a DSA certificate for training which is in no way approved by the DSA. Makes perfect sense.

So you get a DSA certificate for training which is in no way approved by the DSA. Makes perfect sense.

That is almost correct. The CBT syllabus and the training body are DSA approved, so the process of obtaining the training is also approved, but it is NOT "a DSA driving test". So I wasn't splitting hairs, but you had missed the point. :)

As already said, provisional entitlement is not transferable. The criteria for obtaining the counterpart were clearly set out in the letter quoted earlier.

Wanting to undertake CBT is not a qualifying route for obtaining the paper counterpart as it is not "a GB driving test with the DSA".

Wanting to undertake CBT is not a qualifying route for obtaining the paper counterpart as it is not "a GB driving test with the DSA".

But it IS a prerequisite to gaining a GB driving test with the DSA. Catch-22, no?

But it IS a prerequisite to gaining a GB driving test with the DSA. Catch-22, no?

We're talking government departments so logic, and a sense of fairness, have no part to play.

im not suggesting it makes sense far from it as you say if you want to take a bike test here in the UK and you are a EU licence holder you can't.

but then again the EU licence system is a mess whilst i allows holders to drive anywhere in the EU the process they go through to gain their entitlements varies in member sates.

Take Italy as an example there is no CBT but you can gain your full moped licence

from aged 14 you can take a moped test and gain the full AM entitlement and ride a moped up to 50cc

from 16 you can ride up to a 125cc

from 18 you can ride any motorcycle upon passing your test of course

The Italian AM entitlement does stand here in the UK as long as you are 16

curiously though as a GB Car Licence holder you can rent a machine up to 150cc and ride it in Italy

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone, I am in the need of resurrect this very old thread as I got my Counterpart application rejected, the same as for Giovapri.

I signed up in the forum to hear how he actually solved the problem. Is anyone aware about a solution for that without exchanging my EU driving licence?

Can anyone send a PM to Giovapri for me to ask him to share his experience or ask to contact me. I will promptly share the finding (hopefully)!! Unfortunately I can't send PM as new here.

Ohh btw, I bought a moped (sym symply 50) before even thinking at this CBT thing :-)

Thanks everyone in advance!

Edit: just made my presentation :cheers:

Edited by Anonymous

Hi,

He has not been on for nearly a year but I have sent an email to the address we have, with a copy of your post, asking him to pop on.

If you stay around and join in you will be able to contact him yourself.

Pop into newbies and say hello.

Regards

Vicki

:cheers: :D I called them today.

Apparently if you need a counterpart gb driving licence you must simply add a note to the D9 form stating your need to get a CBT without exchanging your EU driving licence. That's it!

Hope this would help other people!

Just need to wait a couple of weeks now!