Rusty Chain... Oops

jayboy

i have another small problem with the bike.

it seems that it doesn't like being left out in the weather without a cover... who'd of guessed eh! :roll:

Anyway, due to this my chain is a bit of a rust bucket now and I could do with sorting it out. i've tryed lubing it right up but still lookings horrible. before i just go and do it, i was going to scrub it down with a wire brush and then re lube it up again?

plus my brake discs have gone aswell, i was going to apply the same technique but just want to double check this is ok to do before i go ruining anything!

Cheers!

Chain cleaner and a cloth should get the worst of it off, then relube with a decent lube. You can seal as well if you want to increase the service interval.

As for the brakes, the worst of the rust will come off with light use. That failing, brake cleaner will clean it up. Don't lube your brake disk!

Edited by klingelton

i have another small problem with the bike.

it seems that it doesn't like being left out in the weather without a cover... who'd of guessed eh! :roll:

Anyway, due to this my chain is a bit of a rust bucket now and I could do with sorting it out. i've tryed lubing it right up but still lookings horrible. before i just go and do it, i was going to scrub it down with a wire brush and then re lube it up again?

plus my brake discs have gone aswell, i was going to apply the same technique but just want to double check this is ok to do before i go ruining anything!

Cheers!

the brakes will just need a run in. Go out and use them, go to the end of the road and back and the brake pads will have cleaned them nicely

i realised i said i would lube the brakes... i didn't mean that as that is asking for trouble!!

cheers, i will be off to the shops tonight to try and get the needed bits!

Maybe I should have been more explicit about the cloth usage! Don't use a wire brush - just copious amounts of chain cleaner and an old rag.

Also DO NOT CLEAN WITH YOUR ENGINE RUNNING!

Bob down the pub might do it, but Bob down the pub obviously doesn't like all his fingers!

i didnt realise a wire brush would damage anything but cheers for the heads up.

i wouldn't clean it with the engine running as i dont have a centre stand so have to prop it up on a d lock, so wouldn't trust running off the ground just on that!

i'll pop to halfrauds after work and get the stuff... hate giving them my money, but new area, no clue of any "proper shops"

cheers though peeps dont want to ruin my pride and joy! :D

halfords also sell bike covers.... it's cheaper in the long run to limit/avoid corrosion in the first place :wink:

if not look out for acf50 or similar which will help to protect your bike from the elements

Cheers guys!

Well i bought some muck off chain lube last night, cleaned the bike and chain trying to get the most of it off and then applied the lube. seems to be better, as in the back wheel spins alot more freely then before but still looks quite rusty!

i have a cover uk190 which i have now found as it decided to hide its self away and leave little clues for me to find it again!

I'm going to be doing mine this evening as talking about it yesterday spurred me on! I also need to do an oil change as I want that oil in tip top condition since its a daily rider and I've already done 1500 miles in a couple of months :s

I had muc off chain cleaner,

I then ORGASMED when i bought Wurth Chain cleaner.

Id try that stuff,

I let my chain turn a little orange ¬_¬ lets not call it rust. and wurth cleaner with the lube did the job beautifully.

I'm going to be doing mine this evening as talking about it yesterday spurred me on! I also need to do an oil change as I want that oil in tip top condition since its a daily rider and I've already done 1500 miles in a couple of months :s

Hey mate, similar situation.

Ive got to start taking responsibility with this. My commute is 60miles there and back. ( 5 pound in petrol and still laughing ). You considered any oils or have any advice there?

I had rust bits on the side plates of the chain. Was using muc off chain cleaner and also used Wurth chain cleaner. They didn't do much for it.

People on here recommended paraffin. What a difference. Chain is clean and shiny and no more 'orange bits' ;)

I use Wurth Dry Chain lube or what ever it Is and for once it really is no flick what so ever. Highly recommend it.

I've heard people use gear oil instead as lube so currently looking into this

I found WD40 and a rag to be good at getting a chain clean. The WD40 drives the muck and any water out and the rag stops it from going every where. Doing that regularly (along with an occasional deep clean and lube) has worked with my bikes and it keeps the cost down.

My chain is pretty much sorted now, i swear by muc off with my van and it worked wonders with the chain on the bike. the only hassle i had was geting the back wheel off the ground as i dont have a centre stand... d locks have more then one use it turns out! :D

• 3 months later...

Yay for the search on this forum and finding useful old posts. Didn't realise I could use WD-40 to clean my chain (desperately saving for ever-nearing honeymoooon and Ollie's bday) - has saved me some pennies!! Gonna clean and lube my current and old bike's chain now. Getting the Kymco Zing cleaned and sorted before MOT and selling her - putting most of the money in the pot for my big bikey test!