Unmarked cop car??

MacLean

Seen a BMW this morning on way to work on the M6 with a really large aerial sticking out from basically perfectly in the middle ontop of the boot door.

First thought was copper but I seem to recall that they are a bit more subtle than to have a big giant aerial sticking out like that which is quite obvious to people overtaking so I thought maybe its some idiot trying to look like an unmarked cop car??? Or is there any other reason anyone would have such a big aerial out their car?

I tried to get a look, but due to the circumstances on the road could not see the driver properly to see if it was a copper.

Just a really Big Radio Controlled car!!

Ovcourse!!! :lol:

Id say unlikely a taxi as no plates or phonenumber or anything on it, and was bigger than anything I've seen on a taxi.

This thing was f**kin huge btw, it was like a fishing rod - it would probabbly hit a low bridge lol. It stood out as very unusal!

Gota be radio enthusasit or a gimp lol!

*Spits tea out* OBJECTION, IT'S A CONSPIRACY! Lol.

I'd reckon it's either a guy with a big HF/VHF radio or quite possibly an unmarked police car or even possibly something to do with the military. Could probably be an unmarked military police car which may have been on it's way to some base, whether it be army navy or RAF.

Or? It could be an escaped bumper car going along the road with no electric grid above it :P

*Spits tea out* OBJECTION, IT'S A CONSPIRACY! Lol.

Of course it is.

It's probably Google going the next step from Google Street View to Google Home Listen. :lol:

That wouldn't surprise me haha

Or is there any other reason anyone would have such a big aerial out their car?

Radio Ham

Or a nob.

What's the difference?

There is none. The terms are interchangeable in my experience, but I may have very limited experience of Hams. Or nobs.

There is none. The terms are interchangeable in my experience, but I may have very limited experience of Hams. Or nobs.

My Dad is a Radio Ham.....and is a nice old fella.......certainly not a nob..... :x

What you have to remember is that a lot of the Radio Hams around are old fellas that have been into the hobby for many decades......starting long before mobile phones or internet were even a twinkle in someone's eye..... :wink: Many of them got started after WW2....buying up old ex-military wireless equipment and communicating with people from all over the globe..... 8-)

It's not my cup-of-tea.....but it's a harmless hobby.....quite strictly regulated.....and my Dad still gets as much enjoyment from it as when he first started many years ago.......and he's pretty PC savvy for a guy in his mid 80's.... 8-)

Yep, no problem with hams, its just the old school version of internet forums.

They use big whip antennas, we use keyboards. Not much difference really.