CB500 - chains lost tension....

KD79

Hi all,

Noticed the cb500 (o3 plate 17.5K on clock) was making a funny noise today from the chain area and on further inspection I have noticed that the chain has become slack to the point the underside of the chain is rubbing on the centre stand when raised :shock: . Now I am a complete novice when it comes to motorbikes and am going to be unable this myself as I lack the tools and know how.

Does any one know what could have caused this and how to rectify the problem and would it be safe to ride to a local bike mechanic???

Thanks all.

a chain stretches and gets longer as it wears!! your supposed to check your chain tension often!

it will need adjusting if your lucky you will get away with it but it could be time for a new chain and also learn how to do simple maintenance checks!

if your chain is in need of replacement the amount its going to cost you could have bought you a lot of basic tools to adjust and maintain your bike and make things like your chain last a lot longer!

if you dont know how or have the tools you are best off visiting a mechanic asap to get it check and take it easy!

Does any one know what could have caused this and how to rectify the problem and would it be safe to ride to a local bike mechanic???

Thanks all.

Chains "stretch" over time as they wear. It shoudl be a routine task to check tension and adjust. For a better idea of how to do this, try Google "How to adjust motorcycle chain". There are literally dozens of Youtube videos that show you step by step how to.

If your chain is so loose as to be rubbing on the stand, I'd think it's too loose to ride it on the road. If it comes off while you're moving it can lock the back wheel, causing danger to yourself and other road users.

Learn how to do it yourself. It'll save you a fortune in repair bills quite quickly.

Hi all,

Noticed the cb500 (o3 plate 17.5K on clock) was making a funny noise today from the chain area and on further inspection I have noticed that the chain has become slack to the point the underside of the chain is rubbing on the centre stand when raised :shock: . Now I am a complete novice when it comes to motorbikes and am going to be unable this myself as I lack the tools and know how.

Thanks all.

riding will have caused it !

you should be checking the tension every time you lube the chain ( please tell me you lube the chain regularly)

Thanks for all the replies.

I lube the chain every couple of weeks and had been checking the tension with my boot - not good enough now I realise. tyres checked weekly.

It had a new rear tyre fitted by a garage few weeks back and mot not so long no surprised it was not mentioned - not that I making excuses for my negligence.

will try and get it replaced asap - need to seriously consider if its safe to ride though.

when I get this fixed gonna take alls advice and keep on top of chain tension.

It had a new rear tyre fitted by a garage few weeks back and mot not so long no surprised it was not mentioned - not that I making excuses for my negligence.

If it was only a few weeks ago the garage fitted the tyre they are responsible for the chain being so slack. It wouldn't stretch that much in too weeks. The only visit I would ever make to that garage again is to complain about their incompetence. I would never trust them with my bike.

If it was only a few weeks ago the garage fitted the tyre they are responsible for the chain being so slack. It wouldn't stretch that much in too weeks. The only visit I would ever make to that garage again is to complain about their incompetence. I would never trust them with my bike.

:stupid:

They will have had to remove the rear wheel to fit the tyre and therefore should have made sure the chain tension was right when they replaced it.

With any luck this means that the chain is not worn though and it is a job that is really easy to do yourself.

to be fair to the garage i have no idea who it is by the way its unfair to leap on them about the chain being loose when we have no idea how many miles the op has ridden since having tyre fited and lack of lube and general maintanance will be a big factor.if you are that unsure how to check the chain and keep it in good condition like one of the others said have a look on utube but it should also want lubing weekly really or more often if doing lots of miles

EDIT: WENT TO TWO SEPERATE GARAGES FOR MOT AND TYRE AND WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT I AM NOT LAYING FAULT WITH OR BLAMING THEM.

I was trying to express that if the chain was that slack then surely it would have been picked up at that time would it not. I have never had to mot a bike before nor replace the chain so its all very new to me.

Chain feels as if it has come slack very quickly in my opinion - I am sure I would have noticed it against the centre stand previously when on side stand as I do walk round and look over the bike before I ride it.

Done about 300 miles since tyre replaced for info.

Hopefully get it sorted at the weekend.

tbh i think it would have to be cheaper to buy the neccessary tools to adjust the rear wheel , than to pay some one else to do it, and then you have them to use whenever you need...just my opinion

Littlecat: I agree however I am the worst diyer in the world and have broken/bent everything I have attempted to fix in the past........

Tbh I have no confidence in my ability to be able to adjust the train and feel it is best left to the expert this time. I am not confident in how safe the chain would be if I were to do it.

It is my mission to become better at this sort of thing!

if i can do it anyone can...having a bike makes you learn this shit, and fast.

ive always avoided anything remotely mechanicish, till i had to start doing it myself...even took the wheels off myself last year and replaced them after the tyres had been changed...never thought id trust myself, but the right tools make a hell of a difference.

when the electrics went tits up on me a couple of months back i had it in bits, removing parts of the wiring harness and all sorts...the thought of a huge garage bill can work wonders for your ability. :D

:D you are a source of inspiration littlecat !

seriously though you are right. I do not have endless pots of money to spend on simple things like this.

As I need the bike fixed asap (saves on car parking charges at work as bikes don't pay :) ) gonna get a garage to do it this time . BUT gonna look at building up a tool stock to do things myself.

Thank you.

small tip...each time you need to do a job, buy the best tool money can buy for that exact job, dont buy loads of stuff cheap, just buy the best there is in the exact size you need....after doing several different jobs that way, you will begin to build a decent set of tools that will last, and be more than worth the seemingly extortionate price for each one

Guest Hodgy
small tip...each time you need to do a job, buy the best tool money can buy for that exact job, dont buy loads of stuff cheap, just buy the best there is in the exact size you need....after doing several different jobs that way, you will begin to build a decent set of tools that will last, and be more than worth the seemingly extortionate price for each one

This is an excellent tip for everyone looking to start doing their own maintenance on a budget :thumb:

Top tip for making chain last longer...

If it has centre stand put it up and then clean the chain with a proper cleaner. Use a tool or like me get some old tooth brushes, bathe the chain in degreaser and clean away. Use a spare rag to get it all wiped off then so no degreaser remains.

Run the engine, sidestand up but on centre stand and wack it in first gear. Dont touch the chain, but get your chain lube and spray the chain on both top and bottom. Usually you hear a clacking noise of the chain being dry and this dissappears when it gets lubed. Make sure to use a good oil based lube.

Stop the engine and get your spare rag and wipe surplus lube off!

Now get your PTFE lube and apply a nice layer over the chain, my chain goes a pale colour when I do this but it locks in the lube and I swear by it.

I do 25,000 miles a year, and so far I've done 4000 miles with a clean and re-lube every 500-750 miles in the last few months and not had to adjust the chain once :thumb:

I commute daily to work in all weathers. I re-lube once a week and when i put my bike away after rain. i do a thorough clean once a week.

A brand new chain can stretch a little in its first 1000 miles of operation, and i agree fully with buying the best tools you can afford. it saves stripping bolts and screw heads due to incorrect size and cheap tools.

halfrauds have a 50% off their professional grade tools at the moment, these come with a lifetime guarantee. compared to others i've bought, these seem pretty decent to me (prepared to be shot down lol).

im building up slowly a nice set of tools as i attempt each job i need to do.

Also, i will stress this point. Do NOT run your engine in first gear while you have hands/fingers/hair/ties ANYTHING that can be caught in that sprocket nearby. one slip and it's bye fingers/head/neck.

Halfords stuff is actually very good :thumb:

It is too expensive a lot of the time but it has been much better lately. I got a 1/4 pro socket set for £20 and a normal 1/2 socket set for £40 when they were on offer. Best pair of socket sets ive had to date.

I have some of the professional halfords tools and they are great. Standard are crap though! Adjusted my chain for the first time the other day, would highly recommend a Haynes manual

and read through what you are going to do first. nothing worse than taking something apart to turn the page and read 'If you have the 2002 - 2003 model skip the previous step' :shock:

Some sound advice there ladies and gents thanks :thumb:

Took bike to garage - chain has been tightened and no longer rubbing against stand for the princely sum of............. 6 pounds :lol:

got a thorough soaking on the way home as the heavens opened up and it chucked it down!!.

Guess I was lucky this time. Lesson learned - be more thorough with bike maintenance.

Intending to look at purchasing some basic tools next payday to enable me to do it myself next time.