Toyota Yaris ... diesel or petrol?

XmisterIS

Since my car is probably about to fail it's MOT and ANOTHER f**king thing has just gone wrong with it, I have decided to set fire to it (while laughing) and buy a Yaris instead.

I want to get either the 1.33 petrol or the 1.4 diesel. I reckon the additional expense of the diesel (both in terms of outlay and servicing) pretty much negates the increase in fuel efficiency. Plus, the newer 1.33 petrol engines have very low emissions.

I'm going for the Yaris because it's small, nippy for the city, cheap to run and reliable. I want the 1.33 because the 1.0 is gutless. The 1.33 is a bit gutless too ... but hey, 99% of cars are gutless compared to a bike, so who cares!

Is there anyone here who has driven either/both? Verdict?

diesel versus petrol:

diesel

- has loads more pull and feels much gruntier around 1000-4000 rpm, but has nothing either side of that!

- diesel costs a little more per litre but will get you around twice as far. it's still much more economical in that sense.

- diesel usually have particulate filters, if you're buying a second hand city run around (like a yaris) chances are this has never seen a motorway. the particulate filters work by burning off soot when the engine gets to and maintains a certain heat, usually from driving over 40mph for a sustained period. if this hasn't happened, as often won't in a city car, the filter will be gunked up with additive and soot. these can be £1500 to replace if going to a dealer.

- can run a little lumpy and sound a bit truck like, especially in smaller diesel cars

petrol

- petrol fumes smell nice!

- won't leave a cloud of soot behind you

- generally has a more rounded power output than diesel, but less grunt

- doesn't suffer from the particulate filter potential problem

- is better for city driving

- is much more expensive on fueling.

in short, it depends on your driving pattern. if you're doing short trips in a city featuring mainly stop start traffic, petrol is the way. if you're doing longish motorway journeys diesel is slightly better - but economy savings can be eaten up with the higher maintenance costs of diesel engines.

Guest philgale

How many miles are you doing in it, what type of driving are you doing etc etc

if your just doing short distance and less than 10k a year then get the petrol, if your doing lots of long trips then diesel is the way.

you will only see a benefit with diesel on a long trip

diesel versus petrol:

diesel

- has loads more pull and feels much gruntier around 1000-4000 rpm, but has nothing either side of that!

- diesel costs a little more per litre but will get you around twice as far. it's still much more economical in that sense.

both them are a load of crap!

I have a diesel and has pull all the way to the top! as do a lot of modern diesels in fact probably all now!

petrols are a lot more efficient then years ago you dont get twice as far on a diesel then a petrol these days! they are pretty much on par with each other

there was a report out recently and if you do an average of 12k a year in two cars exactly the same one petrol one diesel it would take over 10 years to make a diesel worthwhile

Was basing the performance on the wife's Mini Cooper d as well as what other people have said.

Also the fuel tank is about 2/3 the size of a friends similar sized petrol engine, yet were able to get about the same distance. Less fuel gets same distance = better fuel economy.

Was basing this on my experience with a modern Diesel engine in a small car.

Also about 4000 ish rpm and the torque drops off, the mini does have 6 short gears to compensate for this though. Having said that, I don't think we'll be buying another diesel. Petrol engines are getting tremendously frugal now.

Guest philgale
none of the above buy my diesel citroen picasso with ful leather interior and 2 owners from new :mrgreen:

:stupid:

good motors :)

or buy my 2011 vauxhall insignia :mrgreen:

or buy my 2011 vauxhall insignia :mrgreen:

shit motors them :P

:lol:

nafink wrong with them, good car for the money anyway.

Its that before or after Vauxhall fixed the shattering flywheels @ 70k miles on the TDI model :up:

I'd be tempted to go for the Yaris petrol, unless you're doing some decent amount of motorway driving the diesel wont pay for itself. And if you're doing loads of motroway miles, don't buy a yaris.

Well, the shitheap which is also known as a Ford Mondeo ended up passing it's MOT (with a few fixes). So I will keep on driving it for this year.

Based on advice here (thank you) I think I will go for the petrol Yaris because I will be using XmrsIS's company car (big diesel) for long motorway journeys, and the yaris for short journeys. It will be a city car, so petrol does seem the best solution.

• 4 weeks later...

I know its irrelevant.

But I used to own the 1.5L Diesel yaris (my first car after passing my driving test)

It was actually a very nippy car.. 0-60 was quick as anything. and the amount of miles I could do on fuel was mental :D

If it weren't for me mangling it in a ditch due to racing a Peugeot 106 quicksilver, I would of kept it..

I know its irrelevant.

But I used to own the 1.5L Diesel yaris (my first car after passing my driving test)

It was actually a very nippy car.. 0-60 was quick as anything. and the amount of miles I could do on fuel was mental :D

If it weren't for me mangling it in a ditch due to racing a Peugeot 106 quicksilver, I would of kept it..

Sounds to me he would be better getting the Peugeot :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

In my opinion, you should save the money and buy another bike.

We will have no car talk on here - this is not a car forum!

If I was a mod I would delete this thread and ban you!

I might just buy a car *and* another bike ... :mrgreen: