suzuki ts 125 r - clutch issue

gaz_h

Hiya, im posting this on behalf of my partner, were both new to the forum world so i hope were doing this right.

He has a suzuki ts 125 r (1994)

Its been riding fine until last week when the clutch seemed to be 'slipping' he says its like its not engaging.

He changed the springs and plates and still having same issue.

We were wondering if anyone has every encounted this sort of problem or if anyone knows the best way to go about fixing the problem. Obviously there is the answer of taking it to a garage but this is the last and most costly option we have, so if he can fix it himself would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance

Lucy (& gaz whos currently at work)

hiya and welcome to the forum did he only change the friction plates or the metal plates as well?is the clutch cable moving freely when not conected as they get gummed up inside and that can stop them moving and makes the clutch slip?

Hiya thanks both for replying.

He just changed friction plates, clutch still not engaging even when bypassing the cable and engaging the leaver,

Oil has been changed and it was castrol 10 40

(Hope this makes sense to you as I have no clue just relaying what he's telling me)

drain the oil out, stick some cheap oil in and run the bike up to temp then drain that, this should help flush out the magnatec. now just stick in some normal oil and go for a ride :D

it should hopefully right itself before long. another thing you could do is take the clutch plates out, clean them off and leave them soaking overnight in oil before putting them back in.

Sod halfords get to add a castrol semi synthetic 10 40 for 12 quid

Its not bike specific but it doesn't need to be I use it in mine with probably ten times the power with no problems ;-)

nothing wrong with regular castrol :thumb: like stu says get four litres from asda for £12

according to google your bike only needs 1.2 litres so you could get one bottle of that and use it for both the flush and refill

I'm not sure if I'm reading this right.....so, are you talking about the arm on the clutch cover? If that has no resistance then I think it's not engaged in the push rod correctly....so it'll need the cover off again to check.....and also make sure that the clutch basket isn't notched and the plates are sticking..... 8-)

I like to take the cable off bike completely and hang it up. I pour 3in1 oil in until it drips out the other end, a forum member told me about this and it works nicely :wink:

Sounds like the clutch may be dragging a bit......I think I'd whip the clutch cover off and just check everything is tight in there.

Did you soak the new clutch plates before fitting them?......it's normally recommended to soak them in engine oil for a few hours at least....and better still, overnight...... 8-)

There plenty adjustment left, just feels like lever won't go any further

what do you mean the lever wont go any further? as in it wont pull back more?

how much free play have you got at the lever end?

will the lever come back to the bar when pulled?