Honda CBF 125 enging cutting out

Khiss

Hello,

I recently bought a 2011 honda cbf 125, with only 1000 miles on board. The bike is in perfect condition, but being so new it has never been really serviced by the previous owner, excepting fuel change a month or so ago.

It was perfectly fine for the first 50 miles but, today while I was riding the engine started cutting out.

Basically if I put it in neutral it idles fine, but if I start reving it, at around 5k RPM it just stops reving, even though I'm holding the throttle, goes back slowly to zero and dies (all this standstill an neutral). If I leave it for 5 minutes with the engine switched of, it works fine, but then I've got it up to 3rd gear and the bike started jerking, as if I was letting go and pulling the throttle, even though I was holding it constant.

My first thought would be that it's the sparks, but then again, if it is the sparks, leaving the bike standing for 5 minutes, shouldn't make the situation go away.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. thank you

you havent done what I did when I first got my bike have you and presumed the fuel gauge was correct? Mine said i still had fuel when I didnt, check the tank lol. It does sound like you are running out of petrol though, or a fuel line is blocked.

Why was the fuel changed a month ago? If it had been left sitting for a while then its possible the fuel filter is blocked also

ps, welcome to the forum, say hi in the newbies section :)

if there is at least a litre you are guessing try turning fuel tap onto reserve or go and put some more fuel in it and see what happens then,also dont forget to check oil level in the engine 2 or 3 times a week as they do sometimes use some and it doesnt take a lot to wreck the engine

There was a problem a little while ago with the little cbr's fuel pump. Honda recalled a whole load of these.

Basically in warm weather, the engine would begin kangarooing like you're describing. After allowing it to cool down, it would start normally, but display this characteristic. I believe it was the fuel pump that was replaced on bikes with this problem and it went away.

I tought it was only on older bikes, but could be wrong. At any case, it's a known fault. Blame the warm weather!

check valve clearance - needs checking every 2.5k miles or every 6 months whichever is sooner

take spark plug out and describe here what it looks like, is it wet or soot covered - needs replacing every 12 months

check an in line fuel filter hasn't been added causing a kink in the line

if you haven't got the manual let me know and I'll post up the specs, though there is a great blog on how to do it yourself f you Google it

also depending on what month it was originally purchased it's still in warranty?

p.s. to above there is no fuel tap on the cbf 125 :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply guys. It haven't done it since then, so I'm not sure what the issue was.

I did refuel after, but it took only 8L which means that there should have been another 4-5l left inside

• 10 years later...

Im having the same issue, when the ambient temps go up in the high 30sC I can expect the bike to start playing up, stppoing in a shady place for a half hour sorts the problem out for a while. Most of the riding is done in the early morning and evening so it doesn't have the problem then 

cbf125 service is 2500, check oil level every third or forth fuel tank. valve check isnt really needed at that interval either its really far too premature...double or triple it and your still good to go. ours has done 14,000miles and still not needed any adjustments.

changing the oil screen is a proper pain in the arse really one of hondas terrible idea.its planned at 7,500mark and depending on how you use the bike id stick to that/ you could extend it abit...

other things to check but not causes whats happening are oil level check with the stick sat ontop of the case and NOT screwed in.

there is an over flow /splash back pipe at the back of the engine with a clear plastic tube in the inner wheel arch that needs check and drain.

anyway back to the problem first and for tou Garth - id check the tanks breather hose its common for that to get blocked with road grine/fall out or the pipe to be kninked/trapped. when it cuts out open the fuel cap, if a ton of air rushes in (equal pressures) and the bike will start straight away again- theres your answer, clean and straighten pipe.

if fuel was shite enough it wouldnt start the bike...so if it did it might be abit off but not enough to cut out.

Edited by RideWithStyles