Mono shock suspension adjustment

Joe4262

Definitely a really simple question so apologies in advance..... can monoshock suspension be adjusted for heavier load / pillion use on a side stand? gave this a quick try with the tool kit that came with my bike and it didn't budge. not sure if i just wasn't giving it enough welly, or whether it needs to be on a centre stand / paddock stand? if it can be done, is there a particular way it should be done?

dont know the set up on the bike you have but I have never had a problem adjusting any shock on the side stand

some are harder then others and do require a good shove and someone stabilizing the bike for good measure

Hmmm yeah I suspected that the c spanner which came with the bike might be part of the problem tbh. The handle just gives no leverage... bad workman never blames his tools though... ill give it another go with some more force... :)

Check it doesn't have an allen bolt holding the adjuster ring in place.

You need to undo the allen bolt before the adjuster will turn... Thats how it works on my KTM anyway...

Random pick of a KTM shock, showing the adjuster is split and has an allen bolt to close it up.

http://174.132.130.99/~adrian/_images/2006ktm200xcvin162907/DSCN0124.JPG

http://image.motorcyclistonline.com/f/features/11767307+w799+h499+cr1+ar0/122_0811_09_z%2B2008_ktm_rc8_1190%2Bwp_shock.jpg

May I just say....that that KTM shock has some serious potential design flaws in terms of road going...ideal for track stuff but for everyday....crap...

Its not a road bike - its my off road machine. Nothing about it is good for the road :lol:

you can just see in this picture i positioned the Allen bolt facing outwards so its easier to undo.

photo.jpg