Is it cheaper?

Rik398

Hey folks,

Think my rear tyre is not that far off needing replaced. Just wondering what is the best option out of the following regarding price:

1) Take it to a garage and get them to deal with the whole thing

2) Buy a tyre online and take it to the garage and ask them to fit it

3) Buy and fit new tyre and ask them to balance it

4) Do the whole thing myself

Just wondering if options 2 and 3 are likely to be much cheaper than getting a garage to deal with the whole thing. Option 4 appeals to me, but I am not sure how successful balancing the wheel would be by doing it on the bike (drive chain removed) due to not having a proper wheel balancer.

Cheers folks.

:stupid:

And you know if theres any trouble after theres somewhere you can go back to.. :)

At the least get them to fit the Tyre to the Wheel.. Then take that home and but the wheel back on the bike

Cheers folks. Yeah I think I may buy the tyre and then get them to fit it. Even if it means less waiting time as they get the tyre in stock.

I used to fit my own all the time but just cant be arsed with the hassle its a right pain in the arse!!

you need to ring round and see what people are charging for tyres and fitting etc without knowing the prices its anyones guess

last time I got some tyres the local places wanted £256 a set plus £40 fitting to the bike £20 to loose wheels

I got tyres delivered to my door for £202 and fitted for free as I know someone in the know but your looking at around £20 normally

with them prices it was a no brainer for me :)

I used to fit my own all the time but just cant be arsed with the hassle its a right pain in the arse!!

you need to ring round and see what people are charging for tyres and fitting etc without knowing the prices its anyones guess

last time I got some tyres the local places wanted £256 a set plus £40 fitting to the bike £20 to loose wheels

I got tyres delivered to my door for £202 and fitted for free as I know someone in the know but your looking at around £20 normally

Bloody hell.. My local garage got the rear tyre I wanted for less than anyone else then didnt charge me fitting! :shock:

I think I now love partridge motors in Brum even more! :mrgreen:

Cheers folks.

I only have a few small places around here, and usually they don't have the tyre I need so I think I will buy tyres and that way I don't have to wait an extra day for them to order them in.

Also, when I had my daytona it was about 160 for the rear tyre and fitting. Out of curiosity, went online and I can get both as a set for 180. So maybe buying them as a set would pay off.

As for fitting them myself it would take a fair amount if time for the tools to pay for themselves by the looks of things, so I think I will just buy the tyres and take them in with me. Job done.

Cheers folks

Bloody hell.. My local garage got the rear tyre I wanted for less than anyone else then didnt charge me fitting! :shock:

I think I now love partridge motors in Brum even more! :mrgreen:

The problem is that the places I went to where dealers we have no one else round here

I normally take loose wheels to my local bike MOT/servicing/tyre supplier. They do the fitting and balancing and I put the wheels back on the bike. It's about £20/tyre for removing and refitting the wheels. I wouldn't trust a tyre speciallist to refit my wheels.

Hey folks,

Think my rear tyre is not that far off needing replaced. Just wondering what is the best option out of the following regarding price:

1) Take it to a garage and get them to deal with the whole thing

2) Buy a tyre online and take it to the garage and ask them to fit it

3) Buy and fit new tyre and ask them to balance it

4) Do the whole thing myself

Just wondering if options 2 and 3 are likely to be much cheaper than getting a garage to deal with the whole thing. Option 4 appeals to me, but I am not sure how successful balancing the wheel would be by doing it on the bike (drive chain removed) due to not having a proper wheel balancer.

Cheers folks.

my garage charges £20 I think it is if you take your own tyre down for them to fit. Fitting is free if you buy through them, but they have a limited stock and dont order in

Tyre suppliers (Black circles for one) - (or is it round & black?) will get a tryre delivered to a local delear for you (check with the garage first though!) and fitting/balancing to loose wheels should cost you between £15 and £20.

Taking the wheel off (and re-fitting) yourself is a peice of wee.

Doing it this way can save you loads.

:cheers:

Round & Black GOG...... :wink:

Ultimate Bikes in Papworth (Cambridgeshire) will fit and balance tyres for £10 a wheel if you take the wheel to them.....and you can get tyres delivered there from Round & Black and various others........and they will loan you paddock stands and tools to get the wheels off your bike if you need to ride it in there to get the tyres replaced.......and the wheel balancing doofer is a Supa Dupa one which is used for balancing wheels for race bikes..... 8-)

Cheaper than both is asda. I just had 4 new 245/35/19s on my jag and they where £30 a corner less than black circles, cam skill, any one else I tried.

I was shocked to find asda did tyres, they operate the same as cams kill/black circles with delivery and fitting, I chose halfords as my local free fitting centre.