alterations to leathers??

my one piece race suit is too small for me. its not actually tight on my waist but rather too short in the body, too tight accross my back and too tight around my thighs.

tbh it was too bloody tight when i bought it a couple of years back but i was swayed by the massive discount i got at the bmf.

i had always hoped it would give and stretch more than it has but now it actually hinders my movement when moving around on the bike.

but as it is a top quality suit i dont want to shell out several hundreds of pounds to replace it, so i am thinking of having it altered/tailored to fit me properly.

i know it is possible to have leathers altered and there a few companies who advertise on the web but has anyone on here actually had their leathers altered and if so, was it a success and worth the money?

I had my Joe Rocket Speedmaster 5.0 one piece (pictured at the RHRS :wink: ) altered when I got it. Bought it offline and it was too short on the torso. I got it done from a company in Hull (can't remember the name as it was 6 years ago now.)

Anyway, I took it in and spoke to the owner. We discussed what needed doing, 2 inches onto the bottom of the torsoto make it longer, settled on a price and I drove back home to await him to post the suit back to me.

Think I got it back 2 weeks later. Really excited I opened the box up and had a good look at the workmanship.......

Imediately the zip didn't feel as good quality as the orignal. I then put on the suit and went to zip it up............f**king zip broke imediately!!!! The puller just came away in my hand. Not f**king happy!!

Straight on the phone!! You've just ruined my £800 suit that I've not even riden it yet!!!!!

To cut a long story short, I sent it back and the guy personally sorted it out for me (I think the person that first did it got the sack). Very happy with the end result and worth the money to get them how you want.

cheers deso.

its a bks suit with titanium sliders and stingray leather abrasion areas. its awesome quality and it should have been around £800 rrp so i am loathed to give up on it.

there is a guy here in Hull called unique leathers and I know a few people who have had work done by him and he is supposed to be really good

I have seen leathers made shorter and longer by him and you would think they came out of a factory like it!!

I had a price off him about a year ago to alter mine as they where a bit tight (i think the shrunk :oops: ) he was going to let the sides out on the trousers and jacket move the zips on the legs as they rubbed on the tank and change all the blue leather for gun metal grey and was going to charge £80 :shock:

Ask Phil at Cambridge Motorcycles- I was gonna have my leather panniers' strap replaced but then had more important stuff to worry about and changed bikes so never did it! He v highly recommended someone to me, can't remember who, but he and his wife have had a lot of stuff tailor made and altered by them. Give em a call and ask.

Ask Phil at Cambridge Motorcycles- I was gonna have my leather panniers' strap replaced but then had more important stuff to worry about and changed bikes so never did it! He v highly recommended someone to me, can't remember who, but he and his wife have had a lot of stuff tailor made and altered by them. Give em a call and ask.

cheers moo.

i will see phil on monday at the bike club meeting so i'll ask him then.

cheers moo.

i will see phil on monday at the bike club meeting so i'll ask him then.

Bike club meeting? Is this in Cambridge?

Is Sarcasm Hill near Cambridge then?! :mrgreen:

Zak leathers in northampton. She does motorcycle leather repairs and adjustments. I had my leather trousers repaired after an off at the track. Cost me 30 quid. She's highly recommend on track day riders and does work for some of the bsb riders too.

Zak leathers in northampton. She does motorcycle leather repairs and adjustments. I had my leather trousers repaired after an off at the track. Cost me 30 quid. She's highly recommend on track day riders and does work for some of the bsb riders too.

cheers, i'll give them a bell.