Police motorcycle riding techniques

m312

Some of the stuff on here is discussed and practiced on the Bikesafe course......a lot of emphasis was placed on road positioning and reading the road and situations ahead....and of course, all round observation. I found the Bikesafe course very useful....and bear in mind that I have done plenty of defensive driving courses in the car for work over the years....you can learn a lot from these guys...... 8-)

I did my Advanced Driving (Car) course 22 years ago and it held me in good stead for biking as the principles are the same. The video is very educational and was pretty much how my local bike instructor teaches his students.

All good tips, and its great to maximise visibility, but Get it wrong whilst you're on the wrong side of the road and you'll be in big trouble!!

In fact I bet if the police saw you riding down the wrong side of the road they would pull you for a chat..

And the excuse "I saw the police doing it on YouTube" probably won't wash..

All good tips, and its great to maximise visibility, but Get it wrong whilst you're on the wrong side of the road and you'll be in big trouble!!

In fact I bet if the police saw you riding down the wrong side of the road they would pull you for a chat..

I did wonder at how the following rider could possibly see the road ahead clearly when his mate was directly in front of him also on the wrong side of the road! The road positioning makes perfect sense on a quiet open road like the one they were on, but not many roads near me are like that!

A little knowledge can be dangerous.

Indeed it is.

What you dont get from this video is the decision making process behind the on road actions.

It also doesnt tell you about the intense training they go through to get to that level of ability.

I have completed the Police Standard Rider Course this is the level below Police Advanced.

The Standard course starts out with a written exam on Roadcraft and the Highway Code with an 80% + score required fail the exam and you dont get out on the bike.

The course is a 3 week course for standard level the standard required is far beyond that required for a pass in civilian advanced terms.

I thought the stop frames were giving the reasoning behind what was being displayed? Road positioning to give a better view round bends.....moving away from dangerous elements (junctions, farm entrances, etc). It was a relatively short video....but maybe enough to spark interest in some people to go and do a Bikesafe or Advanced Driving course.... 8-) Anything that will encourage riders to go on and participate in some additional rider training has to be good doesn't it?.... :)

Yes and do it not in police uniform on a police bike and people will get annoyed, think you are drunk and boy racers may see you as wanting to race/block them from over taking.

They are training to drive very fast to emergencies, the rest of us are not going to do that.

Something else I noticed, the roads they were on were in very good condition. I often do not move into the kerb side on a right hand bend because of puddles and pot holes.

I thought the stop frames were giving the reasoning behind what was being displayed? Road positioning to give a better view round bends.....moving away from dangerous elements (junctions, farm entrances, etc). It was a relatively short video....but maybe enough to spark interest in some people to go and do a Bikesafe or Advanced Driving course.... 8-) Anything that will encourage riders to go on and participate in some additional rider training has to be good doesn't it?.... :)

Absolutely great video that shows riding safely doesnt take the fun out of riding.

Moving away from hazards? Top tip and relatively easy to consider when riding.

Offsiding? Using the 'wrong' side of the road needs to be done with great caution and given due consideration thats not really reflected in the video.

Both the iam and rospa advise not teaching offsiding for good reason the alternative is a reduction in speed to match the available view this is a safer option.

• 1 month later...

most people have smartphones show him the video :cheers:

• 1 month later...

I've done two bike safe courses. One of the startling fact's is. That over 40% of police killed while in the service is on a motor bike. To turn that in to ever day riding. Give you the out-come that only 60% of non police rider's IE Joe blog public will live out there day on a bike if they ride the same way as the police. When less than 20% of bike ride's get killed in the course of there life time. Ride like the police and increase your chance of getting killed. I see that on a lot of the left hand bend's, The police ride high on the road to see more of the road ahead. If there are two car's coming round the bend one following the other. The second car only has to poke his nose out to see if the road is clear. The front car will be blocking that part of the road the bike is on, and you have one dead cop. Riding a police bike douse not make you inperves to have an accent. as the accident statics will show. By all mean's take the course and see what they say. But I must stress take on that part of the course that you feel safe with. Like I have said in other post. Ride a bit slower and you have abetter chance of getting to the end of your journey in one piece.

John933

• 2 months later...