Failed Mod 1 Again - Anybody Else?

Thanks guys!

Yeah now that the weather's picking up I'm going to start riding for fun again... I was thinking about going to one of those biker meets, but I don't really know any lol, and I'm kind of reluctant to go in case everyone wants to go on motorways and stuff, I'm actually not worried about the speed because I did 60mph on my lessons, but I don't think my bike will do very well at that level... maybe I'm just not putting enough trust in it, but when I get it to 50 it starts screaming like the gear box is about to fall off and it makes me kind of nervous O.o

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Hi, I failed my Mod 1 for the third time yesterday, first test I wasn't ready and messed it up through nerves, second time I put a foot down on U turn, yesterday I did everything fine and then clipped the cone on the avoidance swerve,.

It is infuriating as I have always achieved the avoidance in practice, possibly lost a bit of concentration and didn't take my time. I have booked in number 4, don't give up, refocus, give yourself a good talking too and have faith

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Lisa said:

Hi, I failed my Mod 1 for the third time yesterday, first test I wasn't ready and messed it up through nerves, second time I put a foot down on U turn, yesterday I did everything fine and then clipped the cone on the avoidance swerve,.

It is infuriating as I have always achieved the avoidance in practice, possibly lost a bit of concentration and didn't take my time. I have booked in number 4, don't give up, refocus, give yourself a good talking too and have faith

It's all good practice. I'd never stuffed up a figure 8 till my first MOD 1. Don't beat yourself up, and look forward enjoying the years of biking ahead.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lisa said:

They do say Mod 1 is the harder one because it's such an unnatural setting. Nr 4 will be the charm, when do you have it?

I clipped a cone on mod 1. First it rocked left, and then it went back upright, and then it rocked right and then back up again, and then it rocked left and fell over. Was gutted at the time, especially as I had mod 2 booked for a couple of hours later :classic_laugh:

Once you've passed it, though, you never have to take it again. 

Not been here for ages (had lots of drama over the summer... ) trying to build confidence at having a go at Mod 1 again (there are no spaces for tests here.. which does not help) 

You are not alone!

Keep going passed mine first time but failed mod 2 twice and was the expense as much as anything else 😔. atleast when you pass you'll never have to do most of these manoeuvres ever again!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

How much time have you had on the test pad itself before the test? I had about 3 lessons or so on the actual test pad which can be used for learners when they're not doing tests. 

Take a one step at a time approach with each part of the test and take the entirety of the test out of your mind, take a moment before you set off for each section and visualise what you've been taught and where your lines are.

Don't rush, there's virtually no time limit on each part of the test. Just because the examiner is stood there watching you, he's not there to hurry you along. If you want a minute or so to get yourself together, then tell him so, there's virtually nothing they can do. He's working for you, you're the boss. 

Keep your head well up and look where you want to go during the slow manouvers and give it plenty of rev's, plenty of back brake and just use the clutch to control the speed keeping the other two constant. 

Use all the space available to you, don't try and take things too tight and create more work for yourself. 

Have the mindset that it's all good practice regardless if you pass or fail and straight away you take away a lot of pressure upon yourself. 

Good luck for the next. 

Edited by Phil1