SV650S (13 PLATE) Regularly stalls when changing 3rd->2nd

NooBish-AbbZ

My recently bought SV has developed a sort of problem. Every now and again when changing from 3rd into 2nd gear (for example coming up to traffic lights) it just dies, and then starts again no problem whatsoever when I press the engine start button. Seems to have increased frequency over the last few days.

Almost made me come off earlier today when i dropped the clutch before i'd sort of registered it'd stalled, rear when all over the place :P

My recently bought SV has developed a sort of problem. Every now and again when changing from 3rd into 2nd gear (for example coming up to traffic lights) it just dies, and then starts again no problem whatsoever when I press the engine start button. Seems to have increased frequency over the last few days.

Almost made me come off earlier today when i dropped the clutch before i'd sort of registered it'd stalled, rear when all over the place :P

13-plate - still under warranty?? take it back!

But if youre still rolling and the engine dies, no need to use the starter button, just let the clutch out slowly and bump-start the engine.

Sounds like you're letting the revs go too low. Does it also do it if you change from 4 to 3? Or 2 to 1?

Sounds like you're letting the revs go too low. Does it also do it if you change from 4 to 3? Or 2 to 1?

Didnt happen when i first bought the bike. and no, it doesn't happen in any other gear. Doesn't happen when changing up to 2nd either, just down.

whats it ticking over at? just wind it up a touch just a very little bit

it could be ticking over too slow and coming from the engine overrun to idle without blipping the throttle can make it stall

its a V twin thing

Didnt happen when i first bought the bike. and no, it doesn't happen in any other gear. Doesn't happen when changing up to 2nd either, just down.

Since you only bought the bike a little over a month ago, take it back to the dealer and get them to sort it out.

will try adjusting the throttle idle at some point. Otherwise, i'll take it back. Just hoping it's a simple fix that i can sort out myself before taking it back. thanks for all

If it were as simple as adjusting idle, it'd be happening with gear changes elsewhere through the range.

Hope I'm wrong... :wink:

will try adjusting the throttle idle at some point. Otherwise, i'll take it back. Just hoping it's a simple fix that i can sort out myself before taking it back. thanks for all

If it were as simple as adjusting idle, it'd be happening with gear changes elsewhere through the range.

not always!

I had a problem with mine cutting out in the same manner as the OP

tick over was just a little too low twins don't like it, obviously your tickover on the storm is set right :wink:

You must be really holding the clutch in for a long time.

As you aproach a junction in 3rd gear, off the throttle, you must be pulling the clutch long enough for the revs to completly drop to stall the engine, and then letting the clutch out very quickly for it to lock the back wheel..

You must be really holding the clutch in for a long time.

As you aproach a junction in 3rd gear, off the throttle, you must be pulling the clutch long enough for the revs to completely drop to stall the engine, and then letting the clutch out very quickly for it to lock the back wheel..

that was just yesterday's where i locked the back wheel. But it may be a result of that, as i like smooth changes :P Will see if this could solve it

To get a really smooth change, you really need to raise the revs between gears so that the engine speed matches the road speed.

So let say in 3rd gear at 40mph you are doing 3000rpm.

When you drop to 2nd gear at 40mph the engine needs to be doing 4000rpm.

So in fact rather than letting the revs drop right off between gear changes, really the revs need to be raised to allow for a smooth down change. And this is why you hear riders blip the throttle between gears.

So yes, its not right that the bike should stall on down shifts, but also I would say it's not right that youre letting the revs get low enough for it to stall...

Edit: this link might help to explain

http://m.wikihow.com/Match-Rev-Downshift-a-Motorcycle

On an SV you really want to throttle blip on down changes, I do them for most down changes on my SV.

Plus I reckon your idle is too low, I have a K4 which is the same aside from not having the added spark plug per cylinder. It idled at 1200rpm when I got it, I raised it to 1400 which sounds healthier to me as it also once stalled when I didn't blip. But I'd known for a while the idle was too low when it did this.

Could be worse, mine kept losing all power last week then refused to start at the weekend :lol:

Luckily dismantling the fuse box, banks of relays, and giving electrical contact cleaner to everything including the ECU, and then a tape up of a small short to a headlight that kept blowing a fuse where the wire goes around the headstock.

pretty sure its on the left hand side near the frame rails!

It will be a small knob you turn you will only need to move it a little

blipping the throttle takes practice and its easier to do the faster you are going as if you are going slow and blip too much or let the clutch out too early then you may lurch forward

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv86/NooBish-AbbZ/IMG_17361.jpg

had a very quick look, being fully faired may be a hindrance, does this look anythign like it? or do you think it may be a case of getting the fairing off and having a proper look?

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv86/NooBish-AbbZ/IMG_17371.jpg

Been in to my dealer today had a quick chat, he asked what fuel i'm using, mainly tesco shit. Suggested using a better fuel company before he 'gets in on sensors' and stuff to sort problem. Also been blipping on downshifting; not very smooth yet but does seem to have eradicated the problem at the moment.