Bike wont start after couple weeks of not being run..

DillHD

Few days ago I decided to get my bike out considering it had not been run in ~a month.

It started, lasted maybe 20-30 seconds (idling) then died out, and would not start at all.

After maybe 1 hour kicking it and trying the electric starter it finally started but died instantly by that I mean it didn't even stay on for 1 second(literally).

At this point I am determined to get it started so I tried, cleaning carb(twice), checking wiring, air/fuel mixture, fresh fuel, spark plug. Everything.

After roughly 5-6 hours of it starting then dying within milliseconds I decided to call it a day. Day 2, I can't think of anything else it could possibly be

so I started to mess with the air fuel mixture after a couple of tries with that and having no luck I tried kicking the bike for 5 minutes straight non-stop

and to my surprise the bike started but was running really low revs, on my speedometer it usually ran 3-4 bars when idling now it was at 1 bar (barely)

after 15 mins idling I tried a tiny bit of throttle but it cut out again so couple kicks later it started again and I made very delicate turns with the air fuel mixture

but it died instantly within milliseconds and never started since. So I thought I had it, I thought that was the problem... So I was messing with the air fuel mixture

for roughly 5 hours and I got nothing, the odd time it was running for maybe half a second longer but nothing at all major.

Also if it helps I remember the last time I used the bike I forgot to turn off the fuel tap (yes I know :stupid: ) and was left on for couple hours and I noticed the smell

and turned it off. Then the next day it was leaking petrol from the carb overflow which I cleaned up and thought that was that but turns out if you sat on the bike it would still

leak out the overflow drip by drip, which I didn't think was too much of a problem.

At this point I am totally totally clueless. My conclusion is the bike is flooded badly if it IS what can I do?

Sorry for the huge wall of text I tried to keep it small but keep the details in ;) .

Any help AT ALL will be appreciated. Also the bike is 2012 SM50 with 3k on the clock.

Leaking from the over flow means the float valve isn't sealing or the float height is set too high strip and check that

Also set the air screw back to factory settings

And change the plug

could of also filled exhaust up with unburnt fuel if it was getting past fuel tap then it would overflow round the carb and could of been running into inlet round piston and down into exhaust,you might need to remove exhaust and hang it up to see if any fuel drains out of it as that would be causing a back pressure and stopping the bike from starting

could of also filled exhaust up with unburnt fuel if it was getting past fuel tap then it would overflow round the carb and could of been running into inlet round piston and down into exhaust,you might need to remove exhaust and hang it up to see if any fuel drains out of it as that would be causing a back pressure and stopping the bike from starting

I actually saw that the exhaust was dripping oil so I took it off and poured water down the tube (and dried it all out, dont worry) to get all the oil out and I had 0 luck with that.

EDIT: not sure if it matters but its a 2 stroke.

[uPDATE] I'v had a tiny bit of luck in finding the problem. After loads of kicking, the bike started and stayed on for 10 seconds ish then died and did so a couple more times. Then I decided to turn the fuel tap on and the bike would no longer start. Im guessing the float is letting too much fuel in? Im not too sure im not that great in diagnostics.

the float shouldnt be sticking after such a short lay up of the bike but drop float bowl off to check just in case it has caught a bit of crap in the shut offf valve and isnt closing off when floats reach required height

the float shouldnt be sticking after such a short lay up of the bike but drop float bowl off to check just in case it has caught a bit of crap in the shut offf valve and isnt closing off when floats reach required height

Had a look inside the carb today, everything seemed fine.

have you replaced the plug yet?

Oh yes sorry, replaced the plug today still getting same results. It's really weird cause it was running perfectly fine just over a month ago now.

EDIT: The odd time I can get the bike to start and stay running for 5-15 seconds but as soon as you touch the throttle it loses revs and cuts out, Iv spent around 8 hours messing with the air/fuel regardless to what its at it makes little difference.

should not of touched the air fuel screw as that is never the problem unless someone has come along and turned it while the bike was parked up it cant be fine one day and not the next there ha sto be other factors involved.have you cleaned air filter out or removed it and seen if bike will start then as the airfilter might be one that has to be oils soaked to work and wile stood up not in use has dried out

should not of touched the air fuel screw as that is never the problem unless someone has come along and turned it while the bike was parked up it cant be fine one day and not the next there ha sto be other factors involved.have you cleaned air filter out or removed it and seen if bike will start then as the airfilter might be one that has to be oils soaked to work and wile stood up not in use has dried out

I remember I took out the airfilter couple days ago and seeing if it would start but I only tried to start it roughly twice. And I just checked now and the filter is bone dry. I have a picture of what mine looks like roughly but I found the image on Google its not actually mine: http://prntscr.com/3h7p2b .

Is the fuel tap ok? When you took the float bowl off did it have fuel in there?

Fuel tap is ok, it was one of the first things I checked. Iv took the carb bowl off a few times and its had fuel in there all the times

Have you checked the plug after your starting attempts? Is it wet or dry?

What does the spark look like if you lay it on the cylinder head and kick it over?

Have you checked the plug after your starting attempts? Is it wet or dry?

What does the spark look like if you lay it on the cylinder head and kick it over?

Before I got a new spark plug, I took the old one of a few times and it was matt black all over.

It's abit late now to check the new one but ill reply with what it looks like tomorrow.

[uPDATE] So today I took the carb of... again, and cleaned it thoroughly and when I checked the jets there was barely a hole in the pilot jet so I cleaned it and put

it back together. Still, the bike did not start but after trying to start it for 15 straight mins it finally started and cut out, then started then cut out but each time

it sounded like it was getting "healthier" as of now the bike starts almost straight away and idles fine, but there is ALOT of white smoke which hopefully I'm going to

sort out tomorrow.