Round 2 vs sump plug

Adam

Soooo as some of you may have read a few weeks ago I couldn't get my sump plug undone and I've only just got round to trying again. Firstly I went to my local yamaha dealers and bought a new sump plug as the old one had started to round off and for £3.80 I thought I might as well replace it whilst it's out, got home and left the bike to cool down for a few hours then went back out and fired her up and left her idling for 5 minutes, then with the help of a friend started round 2 vs the sump plug I tried the ratchet, a spanner, a hammer and chisel nothing wouldn't budge so my friend gave it a go same things happened it wouldn't move. Then he gave it one last go and hey presto oil was going everywhere so quickly put the bucket underneath and we thought all was good but how wrong where we! Looked down and noticed it was only the bolt shaped section of the plug that had snapped off allowing the oil out but the rest was still stuck in there bugger..

Lots of hammering with a chisel and swearing later the thing still wasn't out, it was falling to pieces so we used this to our advantage and hammer the chisel in and snapped the main ring bit in half then smacked it as hard as we could and the damn thing came free after about an hour of trying and me shitting myself about having to have it drilled out and the cost!!!

Anyway it's out now and new one is in and so is the new oil filter, here's a picture of the old and new sump plugs.

image.thumb.jpg.861841507df1262392bcc1a648b6cb51.jpg

I had this problem and ended up using a good leverage trick with 2 spanners to get it off!

And I agree with joeman, havnt seen one like that before!

I had this problem and ended up using a good leverage trick with 2 spanners to get it off!

And I agree with joeman, havnt seen one like that before!

Good job well done! What ever it is, it was either well over tightened or has not been taken off since God was a lad!

On the website it's just called "plug, drain" but it's the same as a sump plug it holds the oil in just a stupid version it should never have sheared off! Here's a diagram of the setup Joe

image.thumb.jpg.5a15e4ed2f8727e3f738580db7401ee7.jpg