Bits and Pieces for the bike

MR_W

Right, I'm going to be looking to maintaining my bike myself a lot more, partly to avoid labour rates, the rest being I like tinkering with things and working in IT, most PC's have very little to tinker with nowadays other than drive replacements. And servers rarely go wrong.

Thinking of changing the stock Thundercat screen to a double bubble. Likely a solid black, or a smoked one to tie in with the front of the bike (being black). Even if I stick to a standard screen, probably still going to swap for a smoke or solid black. I ride a fair bit on motorways to reach mates, hence my thought on using a DB screen, had 1 on the FZS600S and there is a noticeable difference for airflow. Any advice on makes, as well as where to buy from?

In addition, if I replace the final drive and chain, what should I be looking for. Only had my 125cc done in the past and didn't do it myself, so guidance to brands and what to look for would be appreciated.

In addition to a paddock stand (side stands suck at times) and a decent torque wrench (suggestions?), what other tools am I likely to want and for what jobs, as need to plan my purchases a lot more now.

decent socket set/screwdrivers/metric spanners are the main things you will want for doing any work on the bike yourself plus of course the basic pliers and thin nose pliers also worth keeping a magnet in the lid of the tool box in case you drop a nut or bolt and cant reach it with fingers then you can use long piece of metal and the magnet,also decent cross head/philips screwdrivers if good quality are already magnetic due to the way they are made

Have a spanner set (need to check they are metric), also have a screwdriver set covering everything as part of my work supplies, along with a magnet wand (dropped enough rack bolts in my time in datacenters).

Defo need a stand, only a side one on the 'cat.

Any in particular you recommend? Biketek seem cheap but I suspect there is a reason why....

one of the best you can buy is the abba stand a lot of money but will allow you to get either rear wheel off the bike or front wheel but not both together,yes you do get what you pay for with the paddock stands ther are some real crap ones out there and some good ones but i think most would agree about the abba stand

my personal choice would be renthal sprockets, and tsubaki chain, but DID is also a very good make.

torque wrench and socket set , I would go with Halfords pro range.

paid stupidly lots for my torque wrench, but its made a world of difference to what jobs I can actually manage... and my favourite has to be my extendable breaker bar...absolute lifesaver

and I have a pair of reasonably cheap paddock stands... but they do the job just fine...as long as you don't mind doing up the bolts every now and then...next item on the wish list is definitely an abba stand though

Cheers cat :) I'll have a look at the halford stuff. Sadly as the wife has left, my spare cash has dropped massively per month, so paddock it will be rather than abba for now :(

buy the stands one at a time... £30 ones do the job just fine.

also I bought the smaller Halfords pro socket set, which covers most job, then got a separate bit which converts the drive size, and buy each bigger socket as and when I need it.... doesn't break the bank in one go, but over time you end up with everything you need, and good quality stuff

one of the best you can buy is the abba stand a lot of money but will allow you to get either rear wheel off the bike or front wheel but not both together,yes you do get what you pay for with the paddock stands ther are some real crap ones out there and some good ones but i think most would agree about the abba stand

Abba stands are the business you get what you pay for, but l agree there expensive, bye the way you can get both wheels of the ground at the same time with the Abba stands

I can't comment on parts but tools are something a man collects his whole life :). Halford's pro stuff is good but still quite expensive. Places like aldi and lidl do tools every so often. I can't complain about any tools I bought there. I got a case with over 200 pieces. Not as nice as Halford's but was less than half price. It has sockets that I might use maybe once in my life but I have them :D

I'd really like an Abba stand but my cheapie paddock stand will do the job for now.

There's plenty of ingenious ways to lift your bike if you're willing to use your imagination - I've still got a stand I made years ago out of 2x4 wood which I still use. :-)

Don't suppose there are any members out your way who could sort you out some Halfords tools at a good price are there...? ;-)

Not sure if anyone down here has a halfords card... Or if there is a forum member down here!

Also wanting a double bubble screen. Any suggestions for where to get from?