Baby's first project

Hi guys,

I'm kinda new, made an account a year ago but lost my login details so had to make another account.

I've recently bought a Yamaha Virago 535 project from a friend of a friend. All the parts are there but it is in bits. It will run if put together properly.

I am 18 and am 19 in January, which gives me the summer and most of winter to get my head around the build. I am hoping to bob it or whatever, but just want to get it together first before i decide to butcher it. I have a long list of questions, and this thread may go on but will start with the basics.

The bike was half-rebuilt by it's previous owner, should i bother stripping it and re-doing the half-arsed work myself, or carry on from where he left off. The biggest thing here is the wiring being confusing as hell and would be better to re-do myself.

Also, this is more specific for Virago's; is there any trick to getting the stupid, idiotic, infuriating engine into the frame as the mounts on the engine are at the top, and not the bottom. I've put the bike on a paddock stand and tried to lift the engine into it on a trolly-jack, but nothing seems to be lining up, and when it does the entire bike starts to lift. The Haynes manual effectively becomes a door-stop when consulted on this issue, and i know this is a long shot, asking whether there is a knack to getting a specific engine into a specific frame, but hey, no harm in trying.

Cheers guys. Look forward to hearing from you, i'll try to keep this updated.

-Dave

The bike was half-rebuilt by it's previous owner, should i bother stripping it and re-doing the half-arsed work myself, or carry on from where he left off.

Definitely, definitely start from scratch!

Sounds like you've got the time so go ahead and strip it back to make sure everything is hunky-dorey. Nothing better than knowing you've done it all yourself and it's spot on!

Good luck with the project and don't forget to keep us updated! :-)

An obvious question but is it the right engine? If somthing is is pieces there's no guarantee you have the right ones.

Yep strip it all back, and start from scratch that way you know what's what. If the electric loom has been split down it might be better getting a good second hand one off eBay.

What ever you do decide to do have fun and enjoy it.

Engine still not in, eastanglianbiker, are you saying to take the shaft off, then mount the engine to be able to line up properly? Because i think that that is what is stopping it from going in, but im not sure how exactly the shaft would mount again.

you need to look at how the shaft has been disconnected from the engine as it should slide on a spline into the uj on the output bevel gearbox so yo might need to drop rear wheel out and unbolt diff housing from swinging arm and move it back a bit they are a fiddly job to do,then once engine is in place you need to line shaft and uj up and push shaft forwards againcouple of screwdrivers can often be used to help as normally not enough room to get fingers in.it might help if you put a pic up of the output shaft on engine to confirm where they have dismantled it from

Cheers guy, and the horizontal frame thing might work. I'm going to have a crack at it on Monday, my buddy is coming round and we are going to strip it then, and label everything up, clean it, then re-assemble.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

Sorry about being so quiet, I had a lot of stuff going on over the summer.

Anyways, I got the engine in, footpegs on, wiring sorted. I ended up stripping back everything except the headlight and bars. I had to take both wheels off and I think I will eventually whitewall them when I get around to it, though priorities lie in getting the thing running again.

The horizontal frame thing and taking the shaft off did the trick in the end, so thank you stumblebum and eastanglianbiker.

I almost cried with joy when I had charged the battery and the headlight came on after 3 hours of wiring, stripping and rewiring.

Anyways, no major problems so far. Everything is chugging along smoothly. Next job is getting the carb in, and then getting a broken exhaust stud out before putting the exhaust on and seeing if she runs.

I've set up a little workshop in my garage, built a bench and bought a vice for the bench; also got some new tools and stuff. So it should all be working by end of October, then I'm going to do a little custom work with whatever money I have left.

Cheers guys, i'll try to keep you updated :)

Right:

Both wheels back on, wiring all sorted; apart from a few earths that I need to find homes for. The starter motor now makes a noise when I hit the ignition. All it needs to be working now are carbs, oil and petrol!!

Hopefully should be running by end of next week... hopefully.

Then on to the cosmetics.

This is a quick photoshop of what I want. I'm not a photoshop expert, so be kind.

I'll try to keep this updated.

1461457_709044079119436_2008139455_n.jpg.8782fd6e68d246b3734807d55336d6a7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...