which gear do you wear when riding to work/college?

Im 17 years old, doing my cbt next week and will be riding a aprilia rs 125. I will mainly be using the bike for riding to college and back. My college is about 4 miles away. If you was in my situation and only had to ride 4 miles to college and back which clothing would you wear?

i was thinking about just wearing

jeans

leather jacket - http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/clothing ... e-red.html

and a helmet.

would that be fine? i would be averaging 30mph on the way there.

I used to ride an aprilia 125 to college.

Big thing is you need a locker to lock your gear away inside whilst you're in class, otherwise there is always someone who thinks its funny to mess with your stuff.

Good quality textile jacket and trousers are the way to go. The leather looks cool for summer but in winter you will get very cold and wet.

Also yondisnt mention boots and gloves.... Need them too.

Your 17, you dont need anyone to tell you what to wear.

Scarily enough I have to agree here!

I always have and still wear jeans and shoes for short journeys (sub 20 miles) which includes my commute.

Wear what your happy with and accept the relative risk you take.

Depends on what the roads are like for those 4 miles I guess. I only drive 8 miles to work, but I always wear my full kit as it's 8 miles on the A14 & A10 and two of my three offs have been on my commute! :lol:

I think perhaps there's a factor of becoming more careless when you do the same ride every day?

You could look at getting some kevlar jeans with pads and just remove the pads and bung them in the locker with your helmet. I used to do that at work.

When I was that age and I had my RD125LC, all I wore different was a waxed jacket and trousers and my bash hat.

If you're going to be doing this daily, much as you might want the leather jacket, I'd be tempted to get textile stuff instead and some boots/ waterproofs to go over the top. J&S is where I got my summer jacket (own brand) so pricing should be pretty good if you shop sensible. Got some cheaper RST Raptor boots online one size bigger than my shoe size.

Guess at the end of the day having somewhere to put the gear during the day is going to be a consideration if you don't want to carry it around.

For convinience you can get motorcycling jeans they just look like normal ones. Also you can get boots/shoes that look like trainers. You definitely want gloves, the first thing you'll do in the event of an accident is put your hands down.

ive been browsing online for some nice Kevlar jeans, theres quite a few which look like normal jeans you would wear out so i think i will buy a couple of them.

I also came across these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141162107068? ... 1423.l2649

think they would be ok for short journeys?

The journeys pretty simple, just normal streets, 30mph speed limit, dont have to cross any junctions. So i might just get a helmet, jacket, gloves and possibly some boots.

I have Belstaff cordura jeans which have CE armour installed that I wear in the warmer, drier weather and waterproof textiles that I wear in wetter months. I did get caught in a shower on my way home last night and was somewhat damp in the groin area!! I did wear the Belstaffs on a recent 950 mile tour of Scotland without any issues. :-)

Depends how safety concious you are?

Personally i'm an ATGATT person. But i would say, motorcycle jeans, Leather jacket (over a hoody or something?) Get a plain black one it will look better if you can't leave it anywhere. helmet, Leather gloves and a pair of boots (plain black again) you can tuck under the jeans. If you don't have a locker at college big enough for your helmet (As i get at the gym) i have a slightly cheaper one (still protective but cheaper) that i dont mind getting scratched or wet if i leave it chain to the bike. So might be something to consider.

Also over trousers are good. I wear a pair of viper trousers to work they just slip over and slip off when i get there. But then its something else for you to store.

I used to ride my 50cc bike the 10 miles to school everyday when i was 16 years old, wearing school trousers, school shoes, ski jacket and ski gloves...

Nobody every said a word about safety back in the 90's

ive been browsing online for some nice Kevlar jeans, theres quite a few which look like normal jeans you would wear out so i think i will buy a couple of them.

I also came across these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141162107068? ... 1423.l2649

think they would be ok for short journeys?

The journeys pretty simple, just normal streets, 30mph speed limit, dont have to cross any junctions. So i might just get a helmet, jacket, gloves and possibly some boots.

So long it is kevlar and it is CE marked armour, those jeans will do for long journeys as well! Just get some water proof over trousers for when it rains.

the 'possibly some boots' worries me the most.....I personally advocate all the gear, but after gloves and helmet , boots of some kind would be top of my list.... road rash is nasty as all hell.... but you wont get far with no ankles.

and this is from someone who learnt to ride back in the 80's wearing shorts and high heels with no helmet

the 'possibly some boots' worries me the most.....I personally advocate all the gear, but after gloves and helmet , boots of some kind would be top of my list.... road rash is nasty as all hell.... but you wont get far with no ankles.

and this is from someone who learnt to ride back in the 80's wearing shorts and high heels with no helmet

Wear boots!!

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/women- ... aphic.html

I saw a lady pillion (I am making an assumption here, since with a helmet on and full leathers it could have been a bloke, all be it a short one) with remarkable high heeled boots. It looked odd till I saw how the boots and the pillion peg went together with the peg between the sole and heel.

nothing wrong with high heeled bike boots... I have an awesome pair of malicia boots myself, ( but don't ride in them ).

unfortunately the heels I used to wear were nothing more than high fashion stillettos lol

nothing wrong with high heeled bike boots... I have an awesome pair of malicia boots myself, ( but don't ride in them ).

unfortunately the heels I used to wear were nothing more than high fashion stillettos lol

So there is such a thing as a high heeled biker boot?

:shock: I just googled "malicia"