Lifesavers at roundabouts

I'm taking my mod 2 bike test on Tuesday and despite having a separate forum for test enquiries, this is really a generic question. I'm not clear on which side I should be doing life saver checks on a roundabouts.

If going left, I check over left shoulder before entering the roundabout and a left shoulder check when exiting.

It going straight on, do I check left shoulder incase something tries creeping off with me?

Turning right, I'm not sure. In my opinion as I'm coming off I'd check left shoulder but my instructor seems to check his right shoulder!?

I'll check on my next lesson but I'd appreciate your advice here as well.

Going left your right side is vulnerable, nothing should be able to get between you and curb if positioning right. Going straight also sticking to left lane (conventional layout) right side velnrable and going right sticking to right lane left side vulnrable

I've always been taught lifesavers are over the same shoulder of the direction of travel. So going left, left shoulder lifesaver etc

Yes, it's a long time since I have thought about this consciously, so you made me think, but basically, if the bike is moving to the left, left lifesaver, you are checking the space of road you are moving into to see if anyone is there already.

I had the same problem when getting ready for my MOD2. So what I used to do was do a life saver opposite the way I was turning. So turning right on a roundabout , left life saver. All well and good I thought. Then I had one extra lesson before the MOD2 and this came up so I announced what I did and then the instructor, who was great, knew his stuff, and came across in a good manner and not a know it all pointed out one slight problem... Going straight on.

You can go straight on in either the left lane or the right lane of a roundabout, so to me going straight on was a left turn, but if I was in the right hand lane my way of working it out was wrong.

He explained it simply that you make the life saver on the area that you are not in, or the area on the roundabout where there is gap for another vehicle. He said that what your looking out for is cars coming up behind you in your blind area that you need to look for so that when you exit the roundabout they do not crash into you as you make your exit. Because you are so narrow they can try and get up the exit when your turning into it.

Once he explained that it was simple then. So if I go over abound about, going straight on, but take it in the right lane, I would look over my left shoulder to make sure there are no cars coming up on me that may take me out. If I go straight on at a roundabout in the left lane, I would look over my right shoulder to make sure no car has come round the roundabout after I have entered that may exit my exit and come across me.

That's how I do it anyway! But being only a 1 year old rider someone may point out a flaw in what I have said!

Joeman is correct :-) but I will also add that when I am on roundabouts and turn off after the left shoulder check I always do a right one as well you never know what idiot is going to try and squeeze past you.

They are free so be safe and check as much as you feel you need to :-)

Joeman is correct :-) but I will also add that when I am on roundabouts and turn off after the left shoulder check I always do a right one as well you never know what idiot is going to try and squeeze past you.

Me too, and quick mirror glance if I can. OTT...maybe, but better safe than sorry. I try to keep my eyes everywhere, esp in central London!

Me too, and quick mirror glance if I can. OTT...maybe, but better safe than sorry. I try to keep my eyes everywhere, esp in central London!

yep! the key is to keep a mental note of whats around you at all times...

Another trick is to be the first to the roundabout. So overtake everyone, brake late, and you'll know nobody is gonna cut you up... still do a lifesaver though, just in case some idiot car driver gets annoyed at being passed by a bike and tries to keep up. i've seen that happen before - I just let the car sail past on my left and bump over the roundabout whilst chuckling to myself :up: