pains when you drink alcohol?

Guest petrolhead1989

Then why is it called acid?

It is classed as an acid on the PH scale, which categorizes substances to PH neutral. It will be alkaline to anything that is more acidic than it, on the PH scale. As stomach (hydrochloric) acid, which would be diluted to various extents depending on stomach content, is higher than phosphoric acid, it means that phosphoric acid is alkaline to hydrochloric (but still technically an acid).

And I'm not saying coca-cola is good by any means, but if one were to drink it, they would seriously extend the health of their teeth by neutralizing the acid with something like baking soda or milk of magnesium.

Sorry to get so nerdy. I don't get that. Generally acids are reactive as they are hydrogen donating and bases are hydrogen acceptors. Unless one acid was exceptionally weak and the other exceptionally strong, mixing them wouldn't necessarily mean they would react.

Like I said, sorry to get nerdy.

Then why is it called acid?

It is classed as an acid on the PH scale, which categorizes substances to PH neutral. It will be alkaline to anything that is more acidic than it, on the PH scale. As stomach (hydrochloric) acid, which would be diluted to various extents depending on stomach content, is higher than phosphoric acid, it means that phosphoric acid is alkaline to hydrochloric (but still technically an acid).

And I'm not saying coca-cola is good by any means, but if one were to drink it, they would seriously extend the health of their teeth by neutralizing the acid with something like baking soda or milk of magnesium.

Sorry to get so nerdy. I don't get that. Generally acids are reactive as they are hydrogen donating and bases are hydrogen acceptors. Unless one acid was exceptionally weak and the other exceptionally strong, mixing them wouldn't necessarily mean they would react.

Like I said, sorry to get nerdy.

I like nerdy!

My original and only point was that it wouldn't damage the stomach as it withstands a more acidic environment than what's found in coca cola.

Just to check, you're saying you drink 4-6 litres of coke a day?, I'm guessing so as you said the big bottles?.

That is really bad for you and probably what is causing the problems, if you're someone who just can't drink plain water try switching to sparkling water and lime cordial instead of coke.

Just to check, you're saying you drink 4-6 litres of coke a day?, I'm guessing so as you said the big bottles?.

That is really bad for you and probably what is causing the problems, if you're someone who just can't drink plain water try switching to sparkling water and lime cordial instead of coke.

Yepp, thats correct.. Its now 9.13am as im writing this, and i still havent been to bed yet.. this is my 2nd day straight of being awake.. I finished off two bottles last night, then went up the shop at 6 this morning and bought two more.. ive already finished one bottle, am currently on the 2nd :D

Its the caffeine.. Im addicted to caffeine.. if i dont have anything with caffeine, my hands all get shakey..

I know its bad for me.. even more so when i had heart problems all my life..

But still.. you only die once :lol:

Do you need to be up for such long periods for work or is it as a result of drinking so much coke?.

Caffeine can be awkward to give up, and we all have our vices, just you'd probably feel a lot better if you could give up drinking coke or at least cut it down.

I can't really talk regarding caffeine I have to have a Red Bull in the morning but that's the only one I have.

Do you need to be up for such long periods for work or is it as a result of drinking so much coke?.

Caffeine can be awkward to give up, and we all have our vices, just you'd probably feel a lot better if you could give up drinking coke or at least cut it down.

I can't really talk regarding caffeine I have to have a Red Bull in the morning but that's the only one I have.

Caffeine plays a part in why i dont sleep.. but mostly its due to a lack of adenosine produced in the brain..

adenosine is the chemical thats produced by the brain that makes you feel tired and prepares your body to sleep etc..

and sadly, its another condition i have, since birth..

My Heart condition, atrial septal defect (ASD), is a hole in the septum of my heart, caused by being born 10 weeks premature, and so is my mental health condition.

adenosine levels are always lower than average, also due to being born prematurely..

So, i have been like this my entire life.. To be honest, my sleep now has improved alot over the years.. I used to sleep around an hour every night.. an hour to an hour n half of sleep was a full night sleep for me growing up..

But its getting better... I just go some nights without sleep, due to just not feeling tired..

But i will feel it this evening :lol: when i catches up on me, it hits me like a brick to the face!!

But yeahh.. Drinking caffeine filled drinks, really doesnt help in the slightest! :lol:

Oh look, another self inflicted drain on the NHS.

You know you have a problem so man-up and deal with it!

Dont go through life blaming "what you were born with" and hiding behind crappy half-facts like your stomach will repair its self every day.. Your teeth won't repair themselves, and neither will the rest of your digestive tract, and that much sugar is a recipe for diabetes!!

Dont like the above? Then fix your crappy diet whilst you still can, and start making the most of the body youve been given. Many people are born with far more serious conditions than you. Think how they feel when all you have to moan about is an addiction to fizzy drink..

I'm with Joeman my son has asperges (probs spelt wrong) and struggles, but still don't moan and carry on.

Sorry mate man up see the doc an quit the caffeine, I simpathise with anyone with problems but you got to get your head together and help yourself you know the problem but help it along anyway listen to your mum

An example of Caffeine addiction:

Takes 10 days without caffeine to break the addiction, I believe if you are just drinking a lot of coffee, so similar volumes of coke may prove the same. However, takes only 1 coffee to get you hooked again.

Nhs self diagnosis at it's best.

I would advise seeking a doctor's word on this, saw on a police program the other day a woman curled up in pain after drinking a tin of beer, they said common causes are liver desease, stomach ulcers and some other thing that she actually suffered from. It's a topic with so many possibilities

Is that because we are all bikers and not doctors ? :?

You sure about the 'all' bit Stuart?! :up: :up: :up:

oh yeah cant include you L platers in that :wink:

Ooh err, this is getting a little heated :lol:

http://iconnewmedianetwork.com/tes/images/vic_bob_handbags.jpg

Dont bother wasting a doctors time until you've cut out the coke and cleaned up your diet.

People out there with proper illnesses trying to see doctors, and can't because of all the idiots who can't be bothered to stop eating/drinking/smoking etc and wonder why they are sick!!

Dont bother wasting a doctors time until you've cut out the coke and cleaned up your diet.

People out there with proper illnesses trying to see doctors, and can't because of all the idiots who can't be bothered to stop eating/drinking/smoking etc and wonder why they are sick!!

I'm sure if I stopped eating and drinking I would actually be sick then die!

If his illness is nothing to do with that he could be dead by the time he's cut his coke habit, yes it won't be doing him any good but that's not for you to say.

I'm sure if I stopped eating and drinking I would actually be sick then die!

If his illness is nothing to do with that he could be dead by the time he's cut his coke habit, yes it won't be doing him any good but that's not for you to say.

Love the way you assume he might actually listen to my comment about not going to the doctor, whilst ignoring comments to clean up his diet!

He's a grown man. The choice is his, but if he does see a doctor, and hes honest about his diet, no doubt the doctor will also advise him to cut out all the cola (in a far more politically correct way than I would) before sending him away with a tax payer funded prescription for some pointless tablets from whichever pharmaceutical company has given out the most free pens lately.