XJ600 oil leak

Jhncf

Passed my mod 2 today and got home and took the XJ600 out for a run for the first time! Was riding it for 10 mins, stopped and noticed steam/smoke coming from the front of the engine, got off and had a look and there was oil pouring out of the breather pipe, there was oil all over the front of the engine aswell.. So p****d off, was looking forward to playing all weekend on the big bike! Any ideas what the problem is? Cheers!

I haven't changed the oil, I think the guy that sold me the bike has overfilled it, he told me he had just serviced the bike which is a laugh because there wasn't even an air filter in the bike when I checked! The oil was coming from the breather pipe connected to the air box. Have I fecked the engine running it like this or can I just drain the oil?

hopefully you will be ok, worst case is you have blown a seal. I would drain the oil and refill to correct amount. Would also take a good look over rest of bike too as you never know what else might have been "serviced" :shock:

Hmmmm.....oil over the front of the engine could be a leaking cam cover gasket, head gasket or barrel base gasket......oil pi$$ing out of the crankcase breather sounds like maybe head gasket gone......allowing pressure into the crankcases......I'd clean all the oil off the front of the engine and then run it and see if you can spot where the oil is coming from..... :shock:

We used to clean up the engine and then give it a good dusting with talcum powder in the general area of the leak and then run the engine again.....it's normally pretty easy to spot where the oil is coming from then..... :wink:

Well done on the test pass. I see you asked the same question in the XJ600 forum. The guy who runs the forum is Radare and he's replied to you. He pretty much knows all you need to know about XJs and he seems to reckon you'll be ok.