Helicoils - any tips?

Pete

Whilst cleaning my BMW GS the other day I noticed a bolt missing on the front plastic timing belt cover (behind the front wheel). Wanting to keep the bike in best condition I bought another bolt (two in fact, an extra one to replace a slightly rusty one on the other side of the cover). One bolt went in fine, but the hole that had a missing bolt was really loose. The bolt just slid in without screwing down. I suspect a crossed thread.

Looking at getting a helicoil kit to repair it. Anybody else used them before or an alternative? Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks both. I'm hoping it is something as simple as a crossed thread that a helicoil can solve and not something more sinister. I'll find out tomorrow when I remove the plastic cover!

What're your thoughts on the £10 kits from ebay? Sealey make one and I've used their chain riveter before which was fine.

For around a tenner you wil get the coils and kit for one size, the kits over a 100 quid i would have thought you get a variety of sizes and bits, so a tenner is about right.

Helicoil is great for things like what your repairing, anything more substancial though i would reccomend a self sert kit, not the cheapest but a lifesaver when needed

Pete.. is there a sponge behind the cover? Im pretty sure Ive read in the past that that sponge can be a source of problems.. if memory serves it was a bright idea to put it there as a 'sound deadener' - but then got filled with.. in winter 'salty water' - which then.. because it was heated acted as a rapid source of really bad corrosion. if its there... get rid.

if underneath.. it looks like this: then its a relatively easy repair.. rub it down and repaint with silver smoothrite.. which is an excellent match to the silver engine colour. this picture from a black engined RT.

http://i.imgur.com/XTsGOhb.jpg

You're right, there is a sponge pad behind which I'll be checking for today. I planned to remove it when I bought the bike but the corrosion on my bike is nearly none existent so I've left the cover in place so far and haven't bothered to check! If it's there today I'll just remove it.

The sponge is what I'm really thinking of when it comes to this missing bolt. If I left it as is then it'd be a great way to leak water! I could block it up but would rather do it "properly". Hopefully today isn't too "interesting".

If alls well behind the cover.. then it seems to me that that area is a prime candidate for a spray of ACF. though be careful not to get any on or near the belt. The cover isn't waterproof.. so even with the sponge removed - salty water can still get in. a spray of ACF will stop any issues going forward. also... a smidge of copper grease on the bolts. will make removal in the future easy.. and protect the threads. at some point you will need to take the cover off to fit a new belt. some ham fisted previous owner has done this and done it badly.

One bolt went in fine, but the hole that had a missing bolt was really loose. The bolt just slid in without screwing down. I suspect a crossed thread.

If the bolt 'just slips in' it will be a stripped thread not a crossed thread.

Helicoil will sort easily.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...